MFP set me up under my BMR

Options
Hello all,

So I decided to double check my BMR again today. MFP currently has me set up for 1270 calories daily for a projected 1.5 lb loss per week, which I 'slowed down' from the last week or 2, where I was eating at 1200 to lose 2 lbs per week. I wanted to ease up a bit on my loss (which has been pretty quick, or at least I think so) because I want to do this in a healthy, sustainable way, and I think that I am not eating either enough protein, iron, or calories in general because I feel that my hair is falling out considerably faster than it should be.

Anyway, after I recalculated my BMR on here, it said that my BMR is currently 1488. I am a 5'3", 175.1 lbs, 29 year old female. I looked up at least 8 other BMR calculators online, and they ranged from 1488- 1760. My TDEE ranges from 2100-2400ish.

I don't want to lose weight and still be unhealthy- that is not why I came here. Do you think it is best to manually set my calories and macros, or to slow down further to a 1 lb per week weight loss, or something else?

For further information, I work out 3 to 4 times per week (sometimes 5). I usually do about 25-45 minute runs at a moderate pace and was doing weight machines for a while. I have started to do calisthenics at home (mostly push ups, squats, some modified crunches/sit ups, and bicycle crunches. What else do I need? I would love to do heavy lifting with free weights, but joining a gym is not an option right now.

I would love some advice to get me pointed in the right direction.

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends 1 pound per week. You set it below your BMR by choosing over that. If you are unable to do some form of resistance training then I would set your weight loss goal to a maximum of 1 pound per week.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    despite mfp wisdom, nothing magical happens if you eat below your BMR
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    If you follow the advice on the link below, it will explain how to tweak the MFP goals and macros with the custom setting, so that you can have the correct calorie deficit in your goals and food diary.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    despite mfp wisdom, nothing magical happens if you eat below your BMR
    Indeed; you don't suddenly start losing teeth if you miss out that Tic-Tac that would have put you one calorie over BMR.

There are a lot more factors in 'healthiness'; me, I'd be happy to go below BMR and no doubt have done enough times before.
    In fact, according to a random calculator my current BMR is 1810, with my calories set at 1730 or something.

And, of course, all the calculators are a big guestimate anyway.