Alcohol...

Options
I don't drink very often, but the festive season being upon us, I thought I'd indulge. There's a big night out tomorrow and I intend to get pretty jolly. My colleagues and I are having predrinks at someone's place to make it easier on the wallet. What I wanted to ask was how do I arrange my food tomorrow at work to accommodate the event and not go way over my daily intake. Any suggestions? We were thinking cocktails as predrinks but they are working out at 434 cals for a Black Russian and 223 for a Southern Suicide...

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Sadly, at the last christmas party I tried to control by drinking alcohol straight (over ice) and limiting myself to two. Well, that was the plan (after the ditched original plan of not drinking). Ended up with about 1300 calories for the evening and discovering a new love for Patron XO Cafe. Not good. Now I need to go to the liquor store...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it for one night.

In fact, if you try to eat less - in order to get your daily Cals in order - you'll likely undereat, get drunker quicker, and get sick(er).

Just have fun. As long as it's once in a great while, it shouldn't really hurt your progress.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I am a beer drinker but rum or vodka w-diet 7-up and a twist of lime will quench the thirst at about 100c per 1 1/2 shots.
  • practicalwisdom
    Options
    I typically stick to a gin and tonic, cranberry vodka (or a Seabreeze), rum and diet Coke, or gin and ginger, all are pretty low-cal.
    (You could always just do a few shots and then have one or two higher calorie drinks.)
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    Get a GOOD workout in during the day/ afternoon if you can, and a good workout the next day - try to offset some of the calories you take in that are 'extra' to what your normal diet is.

If you want to try and reduce your intake during the day more, reduce your carbs earlier in the day (if you have much with breakfast). I don't carb load before drinking, but will have maybe 1/2 a baked potato or something with dinner (to soak up the alcohol, not for calories, or fat - but to keep me from getting too blizted too fast.)
    You still want to eat healthy, and certainly don't want to go drinking on an empty stomach.

Diet coke and rum is a good drink. I personally like tequila shots. :tongue:

Mostly, just go out and enjoy.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Smirnoff Ice Lite!!!!!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing. You could go out and kill it at the gym but then you're going to not handle the drinking so well unless you eat and hydrate really well. You could go out and get trashed and way overdo your calories. What I'd suggest is give yourself a "night off" from your restrictions and go have fun but do not go overboard.
  • bjshores
    bjshores Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    For me I eat light during the day and leave a few calories to eat before and maybe even during the drinking. I do hard liquor over ice. Stay away from the juices if possible, wine tends to have quite a few calories. During the day if you are able to eat fruit, yogart, oatmeal, fiber. Things not high in calorie, but stick to you during the day. Drink plenty of water.
  • lkbeagle
    lkbeagle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I say to make sure you get your exercise in. You get those calories back, so the drinking won't send you backwards.
  • yesmikan
    yesmikan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I typically stick to a gin and tonic .... all are pretty low-cal.
    FYI, tonic water has nearly the same number of calories as soda (Shwepps is 90 calories for 8oz, Coca Cola is 93 cals/8 oz). I was kind of shocked when I found this out. Ginger ale is about the same, too. Of course, diet versions of both are available.