5x5 thoughts wanted - starting strength etc

Options
Finally got around to starting doing some weights in addition to my normal indoor rock climbing.

After some quick googling, just nabbed the google docs spreadsheet here: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Tools_and_Downloads#Starting_Strength_Logbook_Calculator

So doing alternating: Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift and Squat, Press, Power Clean.

I know there's a lot of different thoughts on this.
Is this a decent routine for starting out? Anything else it'd be beneficial to add?

I've done various weights in the past and certainly have been stronger than I am now, though not a massive amount.
Starting out with 60kg on each, apart from the military press, which I'm at 50kg I think it was.

Replies

• GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Yep its a good starting routine.
    Read the book, its a long one..:)

I enjoyed reading stronglifts 5x5 too.

I do SL5x5 with preacher curls thrown in.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Cheers; I do have one of the books, but haven't had the time to go through it properly yet.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Oh and - out of interest; why a preacher curl rather than a normal curl?
    (Generally the consensus seems to be 'isolation=bad' for those promoting this sort of program.)
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I like the stronglifts 5x5 mainly because it has an iPhone/android app and I can track all my progress.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Done both.

Read Starting Strength
    Do Stronglifts 5x5 until it's too much volume
    Switch to 3x5s.

i love power cleans, but honestly, pendlay rows feel a lot more useful.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    5x5 is my go to routine. I have consistently used it for gains over the years.