Scales are Evil

Options
I have been struggling to lose the last 15 pounds of a 100+ lb journey. I work out 5 days a week averaging 500-700 calories per day. I have been doing this regime for that past 3 years. I usually come in under on the calories and really track it. I give myself one cheat meal/event on the weekend. The scales have not really budged at all. I joined the site a month or so ago and since then have been upping my calories from 1200 to whatever the count reads after I excersie in the morning.

I switched to mostly organic food, natural sugar in the raw, no processed meals, etc. Quit smoking and only about 1 x per week do I have a glass or two of wine. I feel great but still just really want that buger to move off of 180.5 to just another lower number. ANY LOWER number!!!

Today I got measured by my trainer. It had been since last summer. Even though my weight remained the same, I lost 3" in the abdomen and 1" on the hips and dropped from 29% body fat to 27.5% body fat. So I am really happy about those figures and looking back to 5 years ago when by BMI was 48%....well let's not even go there.

WHY is it that the SCALE still is bugging me????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Replies

• Tgeorge
    Tgeorge Posts: 49
    Options
    I have been struggling to lose the last 15 pounds of a 100+ lb journey. I work out 5 days a week averaging 500-700 calories per day. I have been doing this regime for that past 3 years. I usually come in under on the calories and really track it. I give myself one cheat meal/event on the weekend. The scales have not really budged at all. I joined the site a month or so ago and since then have been upping my calories from 1200 to whatever the count reads after I excersie in the morning.

I switched to mostly organic food, natural sugar in the raw, no processed meals, etc. Quit smoking and only about 1 x per week do I have a glass or two of wine. I feel great but still just really want that buger to move off of 180.5 to just another lower number. ANY LOWER number!!!

Today I got measured by my trainer. It had been since last summer. Even though my weight remained the same, I lost 3" in the abdomen and 1" on the hips and dropped from 29% body fat to 27.5% body fat. So I am really happy about those figures and looking back to 5 years ago when by BMI was 48%....well let's not even go there.

WHY is it that the SCALE still is bugging me????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • hollyhenry14
    Options
    Same deal with the scale here! My weight actually went up this week? I was like DAMN!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Yep, evil, evil, evil.

Intellectually, I know that the number on the scale is BS. Emotionally, the scale has the ability to wreck my day. Why, oh why?

Anyway, here's a link to the article that I can't stop reading. I keep repeating the word :"glycogen" to myself.

http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/scale.htm

I too am in the fluctuating a pound or two at every weigh-in mode, although my body fat and measurements are staying the same. Why am I a slave to a magic number? I don't even like math!:noway:
  • littleone68
    littleone68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I sooo feel your pain !!! :mad: I have been dieting and exercising for the past two years ( although I'm fairly new to this site) and trying everyone's advice and suggestions and I haven't lost a pound. I even acquired a nutritionist in January and some how managed to gain 7 pounds. AAHH!!
  • rpowersrph
    Options
    go to reports and view your weight loss over a period of time and see the downward slope that helps me out some. just some though the scale still haunts us but it helps me look at the bigger picture.

ps if you havnt been recording weight loss in mfp you can go back and enter them retroactive

way to go on the great weight loss so far:smile: keep up the good work:smile:
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I prefer going by my inches than weight - fat weighs less than muscle, so I think it's a better guidline for how I'm doing.
  • picklesins
    Options
    Scales are CRAP! I swear mine is EVIL EVIL EVIL!! I'd stick to the measurements to see how far you've come. I know we all have the need to weigh a certain number, but as long as you're feeling better and looking better its just a number :)