Bra band size and confusion about frame size: ~5'4" ladies

Options
lady_jessi
lady_jessi Posts: 77 Member
I'm not sure exactly where this should go, so chit chat it is. Anyway...

I'm 5'4" 125 lb. My wrist is 6 inches and I read that I am medium framed based on that. But my bra band size is 30-32. If I'm a medium sized, average height, normal weight human female, why are there there no bras with a band size below 34 in regular stores? Do I have a weirdly small ribcage or something? Does this perhaps mean that I'm actually small framed (not that it matters tremendously)? I was hoping that losing weight would allow me to not have to buy super expensive bras off the internet, but alas...

So, ladies ~5'4" tell me if any of you have similar problems finding properly fitting bras. Just so I'll know I'm not alone in this.

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Most women run from 34-38. Or at least that's what I THINK, since that's what I see the most of. Therefore, that's where the manufacturers are going to pour their money into the masses of clothes. You're not freakish - just that the system used for making bras is deeply flawed!
  • teryx123
    teryx123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy, so I shouldn't even be here. I have known a few women though, and getting a bra that fits seems to be damn near impossible. I could write a book on the subject, just from all the complaints I've had to listen to :happy: . So basically, no, I don't think you are alone. :smokin:
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will be terribly helpful, but I'm at 123 lbs and I'm 5' 4.5". My wrist is 5 1/4" and I wear size 6 1/2 shoes. I can pretty much never buy a ring, bracelet, or watch that does not need to be reduced in size. I have always considered myself to have a small frame (although I don't know if there is a standard definition of this anywhere). Somehow I can usually find a bra to fit that is a 34, although I generally have to try on a number of bras. Most often, I need to wear it on the tightest hook (not ideal because they do stretch out over time...)
  • KristenF101
    Options
    Try fredericks.com. they're reasonably priced and come in 32!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My bra size is 28 (the smallest band size available). My rib cage is 26 inches (my waist is 23 and my hips/butt is 34). My wrist is less than 5". I am 5'2". I am very small framed. And I cannot purchase bras at the mall (even if it has 450 stores), and even if one store sells a wider range of sizes. I need to order online or go to a specialty shop (there is one a half hour from where I live). My shoes size is 5.5, and most stores don't sell smaller than a six (except for payless). If you are looking for small bras, I can give you some possibly helpful links. I like The Little Bra Company.

The 32 to 36 range are all huge on me, and unwearable. Sometimes a 30 will work, but they are big also.

I can get sports bras from Lululemon.
  • Aviflora
    Aviflora Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hiii!

I work at Aerie, the American Eagle undies store. :D I personally have a 27 inch waist, but we add 4-5 inches to get the band size. Don't ask me why they do that, it's quite misleading, really. And even if you have a smaller waist, you can still fit in the "sister sizes". Basically, a 32C can also be a 34B. If the band-size is larger, so are the cup sizes. Of course, it really just depends on how the bra fits on your body. There are some times where it looks fine, but it feels awful, or vice versa. Most people, regardless of their rib-cage size, usually fit in 34s and 36s. :D

If you have any other questions about bras, feel free to message me. :)
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options

I'm 5'4" 125 lb. My wrist is 6 inches and I read that I am medium framed based on that. But my bra band size is 30-32. If I'm a medium sized, average height, normal weight human female, why are there there no bras with a band size below 34 in regular stores? Do I have a weirdly small ribcage or something? Does this perhaps mean that I'm actually small framed (not that it matters tremendously)? I was hoping that losing weight would allow me to not have to buy super expensive bras off the internet, but alas...

So, ladies ~5'4" tell me if any of you have similar problems finding properly fitting bras. Just so I'll know I'm not alone in this.

I dont have to deal with Bras, but people don't fit a mold. I have tiny wrists and ankles, big hands and a very wide rib cage. I am sure you are dealing with the same thing. My wrists are the same size as yours and I have a 42 inch chest @ 5'8.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Buy your bras in Asian stores. When I went to Korea, they didn't have anything over 32 B.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I am a guy, but I have seen 32s from Victorias Secret. (Shopping with my wife).
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Second the "sister size thing." Try going down a cup size but up a band size.
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    32DD not easy to find:sad: . Down a cup up a band sometimes works.:ohwell:

oh and I'm 5'31/2 <--yep I add the 1/2
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I'm 28-29" around the bra strap and 34" around the cups. 34s still usually fit me. Maybe it's my band to cup ratio? I'm also 5'4". Some bras fit well but I'd love to get professionally fitted. Bras can be such a nightmare.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 5'4.75" 120lbs with a 5.75 wrist size, so I have a small frame. I'm 27in around the ribs & 33in across the bust. I was measured and told to wear a 32C, which I can only find in VS or online. Most of the time smaller bands are related to smaller cup sizes (A/B). Try VS, they should have it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    VS is a good recommendation (I like them from online), I do have some 32's from VS and some of those fit better than from other stores. Many bras for me will fit in the cups, but the bra will not stay on my body because I cannot tighten the straps enough, it's the same with tank top shirts (the shirt falls below my breasts). I have smallish type of shoulder area. If I can cris cross the straps in back, they work better. But, usually the bra strap itself is more than six inches too big, and rides up my back. I am very slender on the mid section, with no fat from my ribs down my waist to hips. And my ribs and waist have always been significantly slender in comparison to my butt/hips.

p.s. for bra fitting it helps get a good fit to measure the ribs above the breasts. Also, there are other factors to a good fit that go beyond basic measurement. I have trouble because since having my children My rib cage became slightly more rounded (it expanded slightly to make room for my internal organs, and caused a slight separation of my breast bone.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If you're not looking for a really good bra you can try H&M. I've never been to the US but I've been to H&M in more than one country and they always had bras that fit me well. By the way the bras are fine and I don't think it's a problem unless you have very large breasts.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    VS is a good recommendation (I like them from online), I do have some 32's from VS and some of those fit better than from other stores. But, most bras for me will fit in the cups but, the bra will not stay on my body because I cannot tighten the straps enough, it's the same with tank top shirts (the shirt falls below my breasts). I have smallish type of shoulder area. If I can cris cross the straps in back, they work better. But, usually the bra strap itself is more than six inches too big, and rides up my back. I am very slender on the mid section, with no fat from my ribs down my waist to hips. And my ribs and waist have always been significantly slender in comparison to my butt/hips.

p.s. for bra fitting it can sometimes help to measure the ribs above the breasts.
    I have a good friend who is similar, very petite ballerina body (she used to dance ballet as well). She's adorable I love her.

When I measure above breasts I get 30"-31" but below (traditionally where my band sits) I get 28"-29" so is my band size somewhere in between? Around middle of breasts I'm 34". I will need to buy some new bras soon and would appreciate suggestions from the more knowledgeable.

OP we are the same height and similar build. My wrists are 5.5" (only reason I know is that recent wrist thread). But I have long skinny fingers (size 4 ring) and toes so significantly larger shoe size than a 6 (I'm an 8). Have you done your elbow measurement? Awhile back I linked to a frame calculator that took wrist and elbow into consideration. I think frame size can be helpful when deciding one's goal weight.
  • sc9576
    sc9576 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am a size 12/14 and 5'4 I have the problem that although I am small framed my bra size is 34GG which causes major problems as my waist and other parts mean I am classed as small frame but my bust size means I have to get large or xl
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    VS is a good recommendation (I like them from online), I do have some 32's from VS and some of those fit better than from other stores. But, most bras for me will fit in the cups but, the bra will not stay on my body because I cannot tighten the straps enough, it's the same with tank top shirts (the shirt falls below my breasts). I have smallish type of shoulder area. If I can cris cross the straps in back, they work better. But, usually the bra strap itself is more than six inches too big, and rides up my back. I am very slender on the mid section, with no fat from my ribs down my waist to hips. And my ribs and waist have always been significantly slender in comparison to my butt/hips.

p.s. for bra fitting it can sometimes help to measure the ribs above the breasts.
    I have a good friend who is similar, very petite ballerina body (she used to dance ballet as well). She's adorable I love her.

When I measure above breasts I get 30"-31" but below (traditionally where my band sits) I get 28"-29" so is my band size somewhere in between? Around middle of breasts I'm 34". I will need to buy some new bras soon and would appreciate suggestions from the more knowledgeable.

OP we are the same height and similar build. My wrists are 5.5" (only reason I know is that recent wrist thread). But I have long skinny fingers (size 4 ring) and toes so significantly larger shoe size than a 6 (I'm an 8). Have you done your elbow measurement? Awhile back I linked to a frame calculator that took wrist and elbow into consideration. I think frame size can be helpful when deciding one's goal weight.

I think it helps to try different ones on. And they are different per style. I would think you would fit between a 30 and a 34. For me 28 to 30 is really all that works. I have some 32's, but that's with some alteration to the strap.

I'm not a professional fitter at all. I still need to get to the bra shop to get some new bras.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 4", 95lb, 6" wrist, 22 waist, 28.5 under bust, 32 over bust and I am having a nightmare trying to get new ra's to fit me.
    Some calculators say I should be a 30C and some say 34AA, you try getting either!
    I tried a 32A last week but the under band was so tight I could barely breath so today I am going to try to change it for a 34A or B and see what that's like.
    The thing is I'm still losing weight (mainly from my bust) now so I don't want to spend a fortune on something that may only fit me for a little while. :frown:
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options

The wrist measurement only tells you about how thick your bones are, i.e. diameter of the shaft. It does not correlate that well with the size of your rib cage or shoulders. So yes you could be small framed in spite of your wrist measurement. It's actually really difficult to estimate frame size on a person because you can't directly measure the rib cage and shoulders very easily. For fat loss, it's better to use body fat percentage and aim to get your body fat percentage in the healthy range. The healthy range of body fat % is the same regardless of height or frame size.