stevia

okay so i know i'm really behind the times, but i just discovered stevia.....

Is this for real??? How can it taste so good? Is it artificial? I never even looked at it as i never touch anything packeted/artifical but jsut got some from a friend... the packaging says noting bad... I dont know what to think??? any side effects?

HELP PLEASE?!

Replies

• chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    If you get the liquid stevia, it's natural and from a plant. Not bad for you and not artificial. If you get the powdered kind, it's never pure, so it's mixed with something (dextrose, malodextrin, or inulin). And the powdered stuff tends to have an aftertaste while the liquid stuff does not. Hope that helps!
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Someone mentioned there are even different flavored stevia's out there! Does anyone know anything about this and where I can get some?? lol
  • Dollar general has Stevie in their brand a dollar for35 packs
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    I use Truvia because it's less expensive, but it does have an additive. I figure it HAS to be better than sucralose, aspartame, or saccharin. But I guess we'll see. :ohwell:
  • If you get the liquid stevia, it's natural and from a plant. Not bad for you and not artificial. If you get the powdered kind, it's never pure, so it's mixed with something (dextrose, malodextrin, or inulin). And the powdered stuff tends to have an aftertaste while the liquid stuff does not. Hope that helps!
    This is true. Get it at a healthfood store or healthy wellness department at larger stores. it should never have other ingredients. stevia only. there are so many imposters out there.
  • Someone mentioned there are even different flavored stevia's out there! Does anyone know anything about this and where I can get some?? lol
    usually if you find it in flavors other chemicals will be in it like alcohol,which is bad for weightlss/overall health.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    I use stevia in the raw packets...don't find an after taste and feel perfectly safe using it
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    I do not like plain stevia. I think it has a funky taste. However, I love Truvia- and my husband even tolerates it. Truvia is a blend of stevia and something else I can't remember. It is still zero calorie, etc. To be honest, if you are going to make me throw away my Splenda and give up diet soda...you've got to at least give me Truvia. :)

http://www.truvia.com/about
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Thanks everyone thats why i was confused, its drops i bought in an organic health food store - it seem sot have no chemicals which confused me more as i had only heard bad things beforehand

its amazing i cant believe i didnt know about it sooner! happy days!