cross fit

Options
any one use cross fit in relation to there weight loss on here?

Replies

• melthomk
    Options
    I'm interested to read some of the posts with regards to crossfit. I'm very near to a crossfit gym and am considering trying a class. It looks a bit intimidating but I love a good sweat!
    Mel
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    No but my routines are very close to it. I have friends that do cross fit, I thought about joining (there's one near my house), then I looked at their routine and thought, "I already do this." so I didn't. And now that I'm a Personal trainer, I don't really have a need to join as I know enough routines to keep myself next to dead for at least 2 or 3 years. :tongue:
  • Meghan0129
    Meghan0129 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I work with a cross fit trainer and LOVE IT!!! It is an incredible workout. Careful though it will make you puke if push too hard. :laugh: My trainer loves it when I tell him I'm going to be sick. He's so sadistic. I'm just kidding- he just enjoys pushing me to my limits.

In reading over your responses again, I may have misspoken. I don't belong to a Cross Fit gym but I do Cross Fit type training.
  • CaitlinEats
    CaitlinEats Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    In reading about the Cross Fit gym in my town, I found out they encourage folks to eat according to the Paleolithic Diet. I looked it up because I was curious and seemed really weird to me at the time (and maybe not very healthy), but I can't remember why now. :) Anyway, you might want to look into that part of it too.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    In reading about the Cross Fit gym in my town, I found out they encourage folks to eat according to the Paleolithic Diet. I looked it up because I was curious and seemed really weird to me at the time (and maybe not very healthy), but I can't remember why now. :) Anyway, you might want to look into that part of it too.

Personally, I would stick to the exercises and leave it at that. I find that the less I know about the accompanying ideologies and personalities associated w/Crossfit, the better. Some of the exercises are fun, though.
  • elfnumber2
    elfnumber2 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    cool im a pt myself and have started moving into crossfit based exercise and it is really hard i just wanted to see if anyone found any real gains from this training with relation to weight loss (change in body shape)
  • Meghan0129
    Options
    cool im a pt myself and have started moving into crossfit based exercise and it is really hard i just wanted to see if anyone found any real gains from this training with relation to weight loss (change in body shape)
    I did see a change in my body shape, mostly in my upper body. I have before pictures and current pictures but I an hesitant to post them. My before pictures are not true "before" picture because I have been working out for years but they were taken before I started with my trainer.
    The thing I like most about the workouts is that they are fun. I lift weights regularly on my own but much prefer the full body workouts that cros fit provides. It combines cardio, lifting, core and balance, which I think makes the most of my time in the gym.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I don't know that I have seen any specific weight loss changes (actually, I know I haven't), but I have not committed to it fully and frankly I don't think that most people have the strength or fitness ability to get the promised benefit from doing only the crossfit program. I may be too cautious, but I see only a small percentage of the population that can do a full corssfit program.

In my case, I know I am not there yet, and I don't have enough confidence in either myself or the program to say 'yeah, this is all I am going to do".

That being said, there are some definite benefits I have experienced even just doing some modified workouts a couple of times a week, or as one of my periodization cycles. There is a definite synergy between these workouts and my more traditional cardio and weight lifting workouts--in other words they all improve the performance in the other workouts. While I think the whole concept of "muscle confusion" is unfounded, there is no question that varying your training stimulus is essential to making steady progress. I always look at my "traditional" strength training as "bulk" or "raw" strength, and the crossfit/metabolic type workouts as "applied" strength. I think that both complement each other.
  • Meghan0129
    Options
    I agree that you need to ease your way into Cross Fit. There is a lot of technique needed to perform the workouts correctly. Like anything else, you will only get out what you put in.
  • elfnumber2
    elfnumber2 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to ease your way into Cross Fit. There is a lot of technique needed to perform the workouts correctly. Like anything else, you will only get out what you put in.

i agree ive seen body shape changes in only 6 weeks as well as improvements in cv and strength but weight is the same for me so this may be increased muscle mass or slight changes to diet needed