MFP vs Sparkpeople?

rlsluvr
rlsluvr Posts: 130
edited September 20 in Motivation and Support
Any thoughts?

Replies

• kingking
    kingking Posts: 64 Member
    I looked at both and thought I'd try out both...But MFP was so much easier to get started with that I've basically never used SparkPeople again.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    I joined sparkpeople for about a week. I looked at it once. The first day I joined MFP, someone said hello to me, then I got a couple of friends and now I'm feeling great. I just deleted sparkpeople yesterday. I think MFP is the way to go because I need constant motivation and I really get it here!
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    I use both. at sparkpeople you can enter a recipe and it'll give you the nutritonal info, that's really all I use it for.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    I use Sparkpeople for information and the recipe calculator, but I really hate their site layout.
  • MFP all the way!!!
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    The only thing SparkPeople is good for is the recipe calculator. :indifferent:
  • mbmomof4
    mbmomof4 Posts: 172 Member
    I belong to both, but I prefer MFP. Our site is so much easier to use. I only use Sparkpeople for reference.

I :heart: MFP!!!! :love:
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    I have to agree with most of the posts here.
    I only use sparkpeople for the recipe calculator , recipes & menu planner they do have quite a few very tasty ideas.
    The site IMHO is just way to hard to figure out. So many ads and distractions I can barely tell where to focus.
    MFP is sooooo much more user friendly.
  • SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    I use MFP daily. Spark would always take forever to load or crash on me...I do use some of the tools, but do all my logging on here.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Ditto to above. I belong to both. I like the daily recipe emails from sparks and i track my measurements there (more options). I do all my chatting and logging here though and love love love the database so much more.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Having been to spark 2 or 3 times, I can say I have never gotten any use out of it.

In fact, you're lucky to be able to ask that question on here: many forums don't allow you to mention the competition by name. MFP must be very secure (as I think it should be!).
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Yep, I agree with posters above me, MFP ALL THE WAY!!!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:

I only use sparkpeople for the recipe calculator, the rest of it is too frustrating and not always accurate or easy to use. Once MFP has their recipe calculator up and running, I will be very happy to cancel sparkpeople. :grumble: :devil:

MFP has such a great community, support for technical issues, great tools, you name it. :love: Spark can't compete. :tongue:
  • rlsluvr
    rlsluvr Posts: 130
    Having been to spark 2 or 3 times, I can say I have never gotten any use out of it.

In fact, you're lucky to be able to ask that question on here: many forums don't allow you to mention the competition by name. MFP must be very secure (as I think it should be!).

oh.... OOOPPPPSSSSS I guess I'm not to computer site savvy when it comes to things like that... I didn't even think in those terms... hopefully they won't make me turn in my profile, and leave with my tail between my legs.... I'm sorry MFP!!! I really didn't mean to mention the "competition" by name.....
  • s2481
    s2481 Posts: 23 Member
    I like MFP better as well. The site functionality is exceptionally better! I didn't even know about the recipe calculator. :huh:
  • I think Sparkpeople is like Myspace..... busy and glittery

and MFP is like Facebook... (I love Facebook)
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    I think both have thier upsides... spark has the recipe section which is fabulous. I would like to see that on MFP.

I personally got rid of spark and kept MFP for simplicity. I am canadian and I found with spark they had mostly american brands so I was constantly having to input foods manually, however on MFP I can count on one hand how often I have had to do that so its much easier for me.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    I agree with the others -- I use Sparkpeople for the recipe calculator & MFP for everything else. :smile:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member

I would think the real reason (rather than being secure or insecure) you shouldn't mention the competition's name on your own website is that you kind of open yourself up for the possibility of future defamation based litigation.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    oh.... OOOPPPPSSSSS I guess I'm not to computer site savvy when it comes to things like that... I didn't even think in those terms... hopefully they won't make me turn in my profile, and leave with my tail between my legs.... I'm sorry MFP!!! I really didn't mean to mention the "competition" by name.....

Just to be clear, I wasn't calling you out. I have just been on forums that censor out the name of the competition. Sometimes its as simple as the money from affliate links
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,447 Member
    I belon to both but only use sparkrecipe on their site :D
This discussion has been closed.