Weight Training Newbie

Options
So I've been pretty good about my cardio. The elliptical is honestly my favorite, and I plan to start with Couch to 5K. The one area I've been lacking is weight training. I'll be honest, when I got to the gym, I read the labels on the weight machines, and randomly try them out-- but the truth is I have no idea what I'm doing.

Can anybody recommend some resources on weight training I can look at? I go to my university gym, and we don't have personal trainers. I'd rather not pay for one :wink:

Thank you, guys!

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Well, for resources you can check bodybuilding.com and simplyshredded.com. They have some very good articles there, some of them are just an ads for premium programs but there are a lot of free articles and info too on what exercises to do, how to do them, etc. As well as forums if you will need help from pros. Great websites.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    So I've been pretty good about my cardio. The elliptical is honestly my favorite, and I plan to start with Couch to 5K. The one area I've been lacking is weight training. I'll be honest, when I got to the gym, I read the labels on the weight machines, and randomly try them out-- but the truth is I have no idea what I'm doing.

Can anybody recommend some resources on weight training I can look at? I go to my university gym, and we don't have personal trainers. I'd rather not pay for one :wink:

Thank you, guys!
    It would still be to your benefit to at least get with someone who understands how to lift correctly and use of correct form. Watching videos and actually performing the exercises are 2 different things.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bigjretrac
    bigjretrac Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Thank you, guys!
    It would still be to your benefit to at least get with someone who understands how to lift correctly and use of correct form. Watching videos and actually performing the exercises are 2 different things.

IDEA Fitness member

You're right-- they are two different things. i guess a couple of sessions wouldn't hurt.
  • Fit_Vixen1
    Options
    I was going to post a topic like this OP! So thank you for starting it off :)

Obviously, I have a question as well. I'm following a 12 wk program from the bodybuilding site. What happens if I miss a day (legs, for example). Do I do Legs & whatever workout is on the schedule originally the following day?!?! I too, am a newb. I missed my leg workout today. Tomorrow, I have shoulders & abs. What do you recommend I do?!?

I also do cardio everyday except on Wednesdays. Your help is much appreciated :)
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Youtube university is a great place to watch videos of proper form
  • hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Thank you, guys!

IDEA Fitness member

You're right-- they are two different things. i guess a couple of sessions wouldn't hurt.

Honestly, I didn't want to go the trainer route either but I'm really glad I did. I actually have direction now instead of wandering "aimlessly." Best money I've spent on myself all year. Plus, I'm seeing and feeling results already and I've only been working with a trainer for about 3 weeks.

As for lifting, I'm a newbie too. I downloaded New Rules of Lifting for Women onto my ereader and I'm learning a lot so far. The author has several other books out on lifting for men as well. If you do work with a trainer maybe bring up weight training as something you want to get into.

Sorry I wasn't more help :)
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I was going to post a topic like this OP! So thank you for starting it off :)

Obviously, I have a question as well. I'm following a 12 wk program from the bodybuilding site. What happens if I miss a day (legs, for example). Do I do Legs & whatever workout is on the schedule originally the following day?!?! I too, am a newb. I missed my leg workout today. Tomorrow, I have shoulders & abs. What do you recommend I do?!?

I also do cardio everyday except on Wednesdays. Your help is much appreciated :)

Most programs are designed with an off day at the end of the week. My program has off days on Wed and Sun. If I miss a day during the week, I slide everything down and count that day as a rest day, then I ease back on the intensity for the last day that was SUPPOSED to be my rest day. This way I don't cram two workouts into one day and I don't miss any progression.

edited for spelling