Mexican food tonight!!

Options
We are going out with family tonight to the Guayavito's Mexican Restaurant. I don't believe they have a site to check nutrition facts. Any suggestions on what I can get that won't be too bad? We are going to work out before we go to eat so that will help & I have about half of my 1200 calories left. So the exercise will give me more too (not that I want to consume them all though!:noway: ) I was thinking about chicken fajitas & rice? What do you all think? Or shrimp fajitas? I don't use guacamole :sick: or sour cream so I'm good there.

Replies

• lisanxd
    Options
    If the meal comes with beans, see if you can get whole beans instead of refried. That makes a huge difference. When I go to my favorite Mexican restaurant I get whole beans and vegetarian rice.. yum!
  • lose2cruise
    Options
    Usually, mexican rice is made by stirring the uncooked rice in oil (or lard), then adding the tomato sauce and water or broth to it. I stay away from the rice. I'm vegetarian and I usually get the fajita salad with the meat on the side (DH will eat it). If they have black beans, I will order them on the side and put some on top of the salad. Then I use salsa as a dressing.

One thing I do with the chips and salsa, I break up the chips before dipping and limit the number of chips I eat.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    ask them to not bring you chips and salsa first off....order water with lemon...i think fajitas would be good. maybe ask for light oil when they stirfry...limit your cheese and s.c. and load up on veggies and lettuce?
  • SaraWo24
    SaraWo24 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I heard that getting the veggie fajitas aren't bad with a few modifications. Like: don't eat the sour cream, guac., etc. and only eat one tortilla, if any.

I LOVE Mexican food! I'm jealous! :)
  • l8ybug
    l8ybug Posts: 24
    Options
    I do love me some mexican night !
    things to avoid:
    rice, i know it's good but sooo many calories
    tortillas, usually made with lard and more calories than bread (i still don't get why people think wraps are better for you)

you can't sweat the nights out, unless you can afford to do it all the time.
    I tend to drink more and eat less, I know how many calories are in my negro modelo, but I don't know about the food. I know that's not great advice, but let's be real people :)

have fun:drinker:
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    mexican food is my favorite!!! especially the homemade chips and salsa. i count mine out and only allow myself 9 (a serving size of the bagged kind).

some things that i would recommend are:

fish tacos (if they are not fried)
    chicken, vera cruz style
    a large bowl of tortilla soup
    grilled beef fajita salad
    green pozole with chicken
    green chili's stuffed with meat instead of rice

come back and tell us what you had! :)