Waist, Hips, Thigh

Options
How do you measure yourself in these areas? I guess I am just confused on where to put the tape.

Waist: The smallest portion of your midsection? Or where the top of your jeans come to?
Hips: Across your hip bones? Making sure it goes over the widest part of your butt?
Thigh: The very top of your thigh? Or the widest point of your thigh?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Replies

• kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    If there is a "set" point, I'm not sure - the biggest thing is to pick a spot and stick with it.

My waist (smallest part of my torso) is super high, but I like to measure it there.
    I have a tattoo on my hip and I make sure that my tape measure goes right through the middle of it (haha). And my hip measurements go over the hip bones. Some people actually do a butt measurement if you want to monitor that. =)
    And for thigh, my upper thigh *is* the widest part of my thigh, so I just measure there. Its about 2-3 inches below where my legs bend.

Like I said, though, just pick a place and be consistent. =)
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    Does it matter? Just be consistent in where you measure.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I found a while back on a website (sorry I don't remember the site)...

Wasit = 1 inch above your belly button
    Hips = the largest width of your butt lol yes.. exactly as it sounds... and just go around to the front.. you end up in front of your pelvic bone
    Thighs = the highest point that you can go on your thigh

I've been using this since September, the key is to try and get the same spot everytime.

Good luck, I'm sure if you google you can find a diagram, I wish I remembered the site b/c that's what I found.
  • bakergirl62
    bakergirl62 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Here's a good website that will direct you.

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Dunno, but I'm interested. I know that I've been told where to do this before, but don't feel like searching so I'll wait for the answer here. Yes, I'm lazy. :smile:
  • alishapotrie
    alishapotrie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert, but I have a system that seems to work for me; although as long as you're consistent it probably doesn't matter how you measure. I measure stomach by measuring both the smallest portion as well as measuring across the belly button ( maybe just because the latter makes me feel better:laugh: ), then for hips I measure the widest, and same for the upper thighs; do widest. Hope that helps a little...
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Normally you measure at the narrowest part of your torso, at the widest part of your hip bone, and at the mid-point of your thigh halfway between your knee and your hip joint (this is actually higher on your leg than you might first think). Once you measure there, then the requirement for future measurements is to always be in the same location. The best way to do this is to have the same person measure you each time (it's hard to see if the tape is horizontal around your back or butt even in a mirror). Good luck...:)
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I measure my waist in 2 places -- at the smallest point, and at my belly button.
    I measure my hips and my thighs at the widest part.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I measure:

CHEST (widest part, for a girl)
    ABD (widest part, about 2 inches below belly button)
    HIPs (at the widest part of the booty)
    THIGH (3" below pubic area)
    WAIST (narrowest part about 2-3 inches above belly button)

I think being the most consistent is the key; not necessarily where
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Dunno, but I'm interested. I know that I've been told where to do this before, but don't feel like searching so I'll wait for the answer here. Yes, I'm lazy. :smile:

Shannon, you crack me up with this laziness thing:laugh: :wink:
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Does it matter? Just be consistent in where you measure.

It matters to me! When I hear other people give their measurements, I want to know what the standard is so that I can see how comparable my measurements are. Its good to know if you are doing things accurately, IMO.
  • LivyJo
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this is very helpful!! :flowerforyou:
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options

Shannon, you crack me up with this laziness thing:laugh: :wink:

Tis true. Except when I can push myself to exercise - like tonight.

I just measured where I thought it should be. That's also where I think the changes might be. Not sure about the chest though, but whatever. That's not the area I'm concerned about losing in. There probly won't be much worry about losing there.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Well the second your twin posts their measurements you can compare. Otherwise, you should use YOUR body for YOUR measurements. I know some women who's measurements are Barbie Doll (tm) like, and others who measure almost the same from top to bottom. You're unique. If you measure in the same spot, and it's getting smaller then things are good. If you like the way your shape looks to you, then who cares what someone else's measurement are. You may never be able to acheive them.

I know I'll never have the same measurements as Usain Bolt, and even if I did I don't think it would make me as fast as he is. What I'd like are measurements that make me happy and feel good.
  • LivyJo
    Options
    Well the second your twin posts their measurements you can compare. Otherwise, you should use YOUR body for YOUR measurements. I know some women who's measurements are Barbie Doll (tm) like, and others who measure almost the same from top to bottom. You're unique. If you measure in the same spot, and it's getting smaller then things are good. If you like the way your shape looks to you, then who cares what someone else's measurement are. You may never be able to acheive them.

I know I'll never have the same measurements as Usain Bolt, and even if I did I don't think it would make me as fast as he is. What I'd like are measurements that make me happy and feel good.

Um, yeah i know I am unique. I dont need a lecture on feeling good about myself, that wasn't the question, nor the answer i was looking for. I'm just trying to understand where other people measure so I can figure out if I am doing it right or not. I tend to measure in different spots and I'm never sure which spot is the most standard for people to measure, and can never remember where i actually did measure last time. I thought if I knew what was standard, it would help engrain it in my head where to put the tape. I'm not trying to compare myself to a Barbie, or to anyone for that matter. When I said " comparable measurements" I meant the location of the measurement not whether or not i was the same size as them.
  • irismoon
    Options
    I looked this up a while ago, but haven't really used it much. I go to the curves gym for women and they do my measurements each month for me. However, I did pay attention the last time. For the wasit they normally do around my belly button or about an inch above it. My hip mearsurement seems to be the biggest section of my butt and the thighs is normally about 3 to 4 inches below your private. I get help when I try to measure myself as I suck at doing my own measurements. My boyfriend helps me with this and he's pretty good at using the same spots over and over again.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    here is the website i used ....www.yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of guides of where to measure are made for clothing design and not for weight loss. I measure at my largest parts. For my waist, I measure about an inch below my belly button because that's the widest part of my torso. For my hips, I measure around the widest part of my hips, which goes right around my butt. And for thighs, I measure the biggest part of my thighs, which for me is quite high on the leg. I find these points most useful as this is where the fat is and where the fat will be dropping off of me (hopefully!)
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    In physical therapy we use measurements to track progress and as far as the thighs go you should measure 6 inches up from the jointline in your knee....So basically 6 inches from the middle of your patella.
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert, but I have a system that seems to work for me; although as long as you're consistent it probably doesn't matter how you measure. I measure stomach by measuring both the smallest portion as well as measuring across the belly button ( maybe just because the latter makes me feel better:laugh: ), then for hips I measure the widest, and same for the upper thighs; do widest. Hope that helps a little...

I do the same as stated above regarding waist: I do smallest part & also across belly button. I also do the widest part of my hips, across my butt. But for legs I do 7.5 inches above my kneecap. I THINK that came from a beachbody program guideline but not 100% sure. Again, I agree w/just being consistent. My legs change shape so much that I have to stick to the 7.5 inches above kneecap or I'd be all over the place w/the widest/smallest thing.