Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Going over calorie goal

I went over my calorie goal yesterday but I don't want to cut anything out. I only had 3 simple meals and no sugar/candy/desserts/soda. Maybe I shouldn't eat so much for dinner? Any advice would be helpful!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    how much were you over by?
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    whats your calorie goal, what did you go over on.......what do your calories break up into , per meal??
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Can't see your diary so it's hard to offer an opinion.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    details
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    just don't worry about it and do better tomorrow. one thing i've learned from this is if we get too fixated on overcompensating, we deprive and then make ourselves hungrier then next day which results in a cycle of deprive, overeat. just say "it was one day" and do better the next one.
  • Chinadorian
    focus on getting proteins, less carbs...and remember, if youre over by like 10-20 dont sweat it. NO one can fully measure to the T what their calorie intake is, unless you carry a food scale and measuring cups with you all the time and know every single ingredient to the food you eat. if it wasnt over 100 calories, i wouldnt worry about it. just take an extra walk or soemthing today
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I see you only have 11 lbs to lose, what did you set your weekly weight loss goal too?

with the amount you have to lose I would suggest 0.5lbs/week, that way you get more cals, and are prepared to switch to maintenance, and a larger % of your loss will come from fat vs. lean muscle than if you had a larger deficit.
  • KirstenW1224
    KirstenW1224 Posts: 10 Member
    Without seeing what you ate, it's hard to comment fully.

That being said, definitely more protein, less carbs, and try and eat more veggies that are nutrition-dense (you can run a google or bing search on "most nutrient dense vegetables" the more dense, the longer you will feel full. if you're eating a simple 3 meals and are going over, it may be portion size or the types of foods you're eating.

I'm not saying you should obsess, but the point of logging food is to help you learn its nutritional value so you can make changes. learn from the nutritional information and then tweak what you eat.
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    just don't worry about it and do better tomorrow. one thing i've learned from this is if we get too fixated on overcompensating, we deprive and then make ourselves hungrier then next day which results in a cycle of deprive, overeat. just say "it was one day" and do better the next one.

This ^^^
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    And like the other commenters have said, you diary has to be viewable to give a good assessment.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    You need to make your diary public so people can give you suggestions.
  • Calorie Intake is not working in my favor.. :( I always start messing up in the end and Im only 10 pounds from my goal... I need help!
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    It's okay to go over some days and be under on others as long as it all evens out. Some days you're just more hungry, based on hormones and activity levels, and some days you're just less so. Healthy eating habits include flexibility.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    How much were you over by?

If it wasn't much don't worry about it. Otherwise, learn how to make things lower calorie so you don't go over.
  • My advice would be to not cut anything out that you don't want to. Feeling satisfied is the key to making this work. Do some cardio to increase the number of calories you can consume. Somedays, I will exercise a little extra so that I can have that piece of fresh bread with butter at dinner! Focus on the net calories :-)
  • Thank you everyone for the quick replies! I'm very new to this so bare with me please lol. I'll make my diary public so it's easier help with giving advice. I did not calculate the calories I burned doing P90X yesterday, so maybe I didn't really go over my calories. According to my food track, I went over 168 calories. But I'm sure I burned 600-700 doing P90X. I'll get better with this, at least I'm trying to learn the right way, right?! lol
  • Chinadorian
    i checked your diary... you went over by no t even 200, and that day you did p90x...i would say that you are alright :)

i also noticed that you are only at 1200 daily...but you plan on doing p90x regularly? consider upping your calories because your body needs fuel. dont be scared to change your calorie goal (go to Home, Goals, Custom, change them to your TDEE minus %15-20 of that to get what you should be eating every day if you exercise 3-4 times a week) to include more calories.

you need to eat more! :)

good luck with your fitness goals, feel free to add me if you want.
  • hope25
    hope25 Posts: 188 Member
    I think you are fine the p90x I am sure covered everything extra you ate. You were not very over.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    As others have said, first make sure your calorie goal is reasonable. If you're not trying to lose much, and you're already adding more exercise to your lifestyle, that may be enough. Lowering your calories too much can result in less effective exercise and can lead to feeling of deprivation and yoyo dieting/eating ending up at a less healthy weight.

I'd suggest starting by adding the exercise you want and just tracking what you eat.

If you want to take it a step farther, try to eat healthier foods, but about the same amount you've been eating before starting MFP. In any case, if you're eating below TDEE, you'll lose weight. Even if you're a small amount over your calorie goal on same days, it will be ok. Many people suggest using a range -- like within 100 calories of the goal in either direction. That gives you a range of 200 making it much easier to work into a natural, sustainable lifestyle.

See how that works for a few weeks. Then if you need to adjust, you'll know what you were eating and have more information about what might have been wrong.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-to-use-myfitnesspal-427993

Good luck!