Has anyone use Fiber One cereal to coat chicken breast?

Options
Kristen81
Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
Im thinking of doing this tonight. Has anyone else done this and if so, how did it turn out?

Replies

• marjaskow
    Options
    I used them crushed with a bit of spices quite awhile ago and made chicken tenders. My family liked them.. Chicken stays moist. You can also use them to make onion rings. Just crush, dip the onions in milk, coat and bake til done. These are both hungry girl recipes. Not sure if you've ever gone to their site, but they have lots of diet hints too & a couple cookbooks out there.
  • PanicAtTheBuffet
    Options
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chewdetails.php?isid=1962

Hi Kristen,

I made this and it is very good. Let me know what you think.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I've used corn flakes on pork chops. I'm sure it's the same concept. Turns out good.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i'm not a huge fan but my family really liked it. i haven't made them for months and hubby asked me to 'pencil it in' in the next few weeks.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    i use it for chicken and mozz. cheese sticks from the hungry girl cookbook YUMMY
  • chefcc
    chefcc Posts: 143
    Options
    I used them crushed with a bit of spices quite awhile ago and made chicken tenders. My family liked them.. Chicken stays moist. You can also use them to make onion rings. Just crush, dip the onions in milk, coat and bake til done. These are both hungry girl recipes. Not sure if you've ever gone to their site, but they have lots of diet hints too & a couple cookbooks out there.

yum on the onion rings....
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    OK...so I made these last night and LOVED them! I cut the chicken breast into strips and dipped them into two beaten eggs and then into the cereal. While making these I realized that I only had the Honey Clusters Fiber One, so the crust was kind of sweet but delicious! I baked them in the oven at 350 for about 20-25 min. I definitely recommend trying these.

PanicAtTheBuffet - I need to try that recipe. It sound yummy! I just didn't have buttermilk or the stuff to make it and didn't feel like going to the grocery. Next time though!
  • rick2010
    Options
    I've made tenders as well and love it. My non-healthy friend even loved it. It's an interesting and tasty alternate.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I have done it with Fiber One, but now that I'm gluten intolerant I use Rice Chex crumbs... same thing! :flowerforyou:
  • Raphi
    Raphi Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I did this recipe from the Hungry Girl website:
    I liked it, and my family too, but next time, I'm gonna use something else instead of the onion soup mix; we didn't care about that...

BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN BY HUNGRY GIRL

Don't Fry Over Spilt Buttermilk...
    Making a recipe that calls for buttermilk? Use this simple substitute, and you won't need to buy any:
    Prep Time: 5 minutes
    Ingredients:
    • Milk (just under one cup)
    • 1 Tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice
    Preparation:
    1. Place a Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup.
    2. Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line.
    3. Let stand for five minute. Then, use as much as your recipe calls for.

Fried chicken is a true country classic, and buttermilk fried chicken's even better. Either way, it's far too fatty for us. But good news! We've made it over using lean chicken, lightened-up buttermilk, and our signature faux-fry method with some extra-special additions. It's so good, you'll want to slap somebody! (Please don't.)

Ingredients:

1/3 cup reduced-fat buttermilk

1/8 tsp. paprika
    12 oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast tenders (about 10 pieces)

1/3 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original)

1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs (like the kind by Progresso)

1 tbsp. dry onion soup mix
    Optional: salt, to taste

Directions:
    In a large sealable container or plastic bag, combine buttermilk with paprika and mix well. Add chicken and coat completely. Seal and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Prepare a large baking sheet by spraying it with nonstick spray. Set aside.

Using a blender or food processor, grind Fiber One cereal to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Pour crumbs into a large bowl. Add panko breadcrumbs and onion soup mix. If you like, add a dash or two of salt. Mix thoroughly.

One at a time, remove each piece of chicken from container/bag, give it a shake (to get rid of excess buttermilk), coat it evenly with the crumb mixture, and lay it flat on the baking sheet.

Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Flip carefully (tongs work well!), and then bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until outsides are crispy and chicken is cooked through. CRUNCH time!

MAKES 2 SERVINGS

The recipe is already in the database too :)