Recovery Week - lost more weight than workout week - why?

Options
OK - so I have been working out diligently for 8 months ... about 10 hours a week in target heart rate zones (I don't slack, I am constantly keeping my heartrate at at least 60% - 80% of my maximum , which is about 115 BPM to 146 BPM).

My routine is 6 days, 3 cardio (roughly 1.5 hrs each) and 3 cardio and strength (mixture of free weights and body resistance), about 1.5 - 2 hours on these days.

This week, I am taking a rest week. Mainly because I have a head cold. I am still up and about, and I really need a recovery week, as I was getting very tight and achy.

So, this week, I have lost almost 2.5 lbs.

My question is this:

1) Why have I lost weight on a non-training week. My net calories are about the same as my other weeks.
NOTE: I use a HRM to estimate calories burned during my workout weeks, which averages about 350-500 per hour depending on activity.

2) Does the body hold water when you are on an intense workout regimen and could my body just be releasing that water, accounting for the 2.5 lb weight difference?

Any trainers out there? Knowledgeable responses appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    2) Does the body hold water when you are on an intense workout regimen and could my body just be releasing that water, accounting for the 2.5 lb weight difference?

Yep
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    water

yep
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Yes
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for your response :)

I agree it's water, but my question is why - is it because I was holding water due to my intense workouts? And why does it do this? Will my weight go back up once I start working out again, next week?

thanks again :)
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for your response :)

I agree its water, but my question is why - is it because I was holding water due to my intense workouts?
    Your muscles hold onto water when repairing themselves.

So yes.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    In the past when I've had that, I regained less than half a pound if anything. Rest does your body good!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    When you workout your cells produce toxins such as lactic acid which is what causes your muscles to feel soooo sore after heavy weightlifting - these toxins are a byproduct of cell metabolism even if you don't feel sore...water is used via the circulatory and lymphatic systems to move these toxins out of the cells and eventually out of the body...so you do have a lot more water in circulation during post-workout recovery.
  • tnqnt
    Options
    What are the recommendations for recovery week... One week OFF after how many ON?
    I hit my first goal and am 10 lbs from my ultimate goal.

i.e., once every _____ weeks?

PS - I change my program every 8 weeks or so..... would that be a good time?

• ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    interesting
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I typically do a recovery week about every 8 weeks. Sometimes it's earlier if I'm out of town for work after like 6 weeks but I never go more than 8 weeks without taking one off.
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    Happens to me when I stop working out for a week or 2. I lost 10 pounds when I stopped for 2 weeks. I gained 4 or 5 pounds back when I started working out again.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I typically do a recovery week about every 8 weeks. Sometimes it's earlier if I'm out of town for work after like 6 weeks but I never go more than 8 weeks without taking one off.

second this guy -- I like to do a de-load week as well that's where you see the loss as long as you don't go over your calories. I typically deload after about 6 weeks
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What are the recommendations for recovery week... One week OFF after how many ON?

It varies on the intensity of the program that you're on. I try to do one every 8 weeks but will do it in 6 if I'm doing something that leaves me more fatigued than usual.

More than setting a schedule, try to listen to your body. If you're fatigued more than usual, can't stop aching, grumpy(ier), or having trouble sleeping, don't put rest of for 2 more weeks because of some random date on a calendar. When you start feeling like you need a rest week, you probably should have taken one 2 weeks prior
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options

It varies on the intensity of the program that you're on. I try to do one every 8 weeks but will do it in 6 if I'm doing something that leaves me more fatigued than usual.

More than setting a schedule, try to listen to your body. If you're fatigued more than usual, can't stop aching, grumpy(ier), or having trouble sleeping, don't put rest of for 2 more weeks because of some random date on a calendar. When you start feeling like you need a rest week, you probably should have taken one 2 weeks prior

Agree-Listen to your Body-It will tell you!
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    1. it could be water fluctuation

2. it's important to know that weight loss is non-linear

here is a good article to read from an expert on this topic:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

Unless you are vastly overextending yourself and overtraining you never need to take a full week off. A day off once in a while is enough.

If your program does have a heavy workload then you can reduce that workload by 20 to 30% every third week for recovery.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this OP, had a recovery week last week and lost 2lb and was confused like hell.
  • tnqnt
    Options
    1. it could be water fluctuation

2. it's important to know that weight loss is non-linear

here is a good article to read from an expert on this topic:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

This is interesting and makes sense - thank you for sharing :)
  • tnqnt
    Options

Unless you are vastly overextending yourself and overtraining you never need to take a full week off. A day off once in a while is enough.

If your program does have a heavy workload then you can reduce that workload by 20 to 30% every third week for recovery.

Interesting... I was always told to be sure to do a recovery week. Actually my body is thanking me bigtime - I was very stiff and sore and now feel much better, feel I will be stronger when I return to my routine on Monday... do you feel it is damaging to take a recovery week? If so, why? thanks in advance :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

Interesting... I was always told to be sure to do a recovery week. Actually my body is thanking me bigtime - I was very stiff and sore and now feel much better, feel I will be stronger when I return to my routine on Monday... do you feel it is damaging to take a recovery week? If so, why? thanks in advance :)
    Just to clarify, I was mainly talking about the cardio portion such as for people training for performance. I'll leave the advice for intense weight training to someone more knowledgable than me.

But for endurance training the total oonsistent workload is of primary importance. If someone has to start taking extended or repeated time off then that points to a training error, usually too high or intense a training load for a person's current fitness level. That also points to the fact that the training is harder than it needs to be and is overloading the body's ability to recover from training sessions making much of the training time less productive than it otherwise could be.