Going out to Eat

rtrautmann
rtrautmann Posts: 57
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So, I just joined and I'm browsing the database to see what kinds of things I have been eating and what my regular calorie count is.
Obviously joining the website was a good idea from the things I have been eating. But now my problem is that I don't want to eat anything! Finding things that I like is tough because it's high in calories, but when they're low in calories the sodium skyrockets! Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having low calories?

I feel like I'll never be able to eat out again. Any tips?

Replies

• of course you can eat out---you just have to accommodate for it in the rest of your day!~ yes, sodium is high when you eat out, but if you are doing it on special occasions and not every day, then a little extra sodium--or higher calories, won't totally derail you....and if you are having something that is totally salt-laden then do your best to get as much water as you can to flush it out of your system.

i know it seems daunting, but it's totally do-able! and sometimes, if there's a special place that you only go to once a year or for super special occasions i highly recommend NOT looking up their menu, it will just ruin it, and sometimes the experience is worth more than the calories....the wagon will be there tomorrow for you to hop back on! and we'll all be here to support you! :)
  • You can definitely still eat out. It's just a matter of accounting for it the rest of the day. Normally I cut out my healthy snacks or low cal desserts to save or the dinner. And actually, it is recommended that every couple of weeks you splurge! In a healthy way, of course, nothing too terrible, but going over your calories a little every couple of weeks wakes your system up. For example - I went out with my husband for Valentine's Day and had some really rich (cheesy) appetizers with what was an abnormal amount of bread for me. I worked out extra hard that morning and watched my calories all day leading up to it. I'm sure I went over, but I didn't gain any weight, as it was literally a one-time event and I compensated as best I could.

I've also been out to eat for a vegetarian plate at a greek restaurant (hummus and all). I went over that day, but no harm done. It's all about keeping it infrequent - a treat, a special occasion

Good luck, and don't forget that dieting doesn't mean holding out on yourself 24/7. Most people fall even farther off the wagon without regular treats.
  • Thank you both, that's really helpful! :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.