Chili? Anyone?

Muldactus
Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
Anyone have any good chili recipes? Looking for something that isn't TOO spicy (some spice is good, but I like my tastebuds right where they're at), non-vegitarian (I'm a carnivore), and Not turkey.

Anyone?

Replies

• SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Not sure how authentic this is but this is how I do it...

* 400g minced/ground meat (usually lean beef but I love pork too)
    * Tin of kidney beans
    * White onion
    * Tin of good quality plum tomatoes (Napolina are my favourite)
    * Tbsp tomato puree
    * Teaspoon each of hot chilli powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, smoked paprika, unsweetened cocoa powder, dried oregano, four cloves of garlic
    * Cup of vegetable or beef stock

Simply fry the meat in a large stove-top casserole dish with a spray of oil or Tbsp of sunflower oil until golden brown. Add the spices, herbs and garlic and fry for a couple of minutes. Then add all of the other ingredients.

At this point I also usually add a load of extra vegetables, depending on what I have in the fridge. Good ones include red and green peppers, courgette (zuchinni), tinned puy or green lentils, mushrooms etc.

Simply simmer for half an hour until the veg is cooked. Stir every five minutes and make sure it doesn't simmer down too far (you can always add a bit more stock/water if necessary). Check the seasoning half way and add more spices, salt, pepper etc if needed. Easy to add more - not so easy to take away!

Serve with baked potatoes, wholewheat flatbreads, pitta breads, brown rice etc etc and a big dollop of Greek yogurt with some mint stired through.

If I don't have any meat in or want to save a bit of money I substitute the meat for dried red lentils - they give it a meaty texture and taste great (just keep an eye on the moisture levels as they really do soak up the water). They take around 25mins to cook once the chilli is simmering.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Mine is vegetarian, but you can easily replace the fake ground beef with the real stuff. I'll give it to you the best I can remember off the top of my head. I don't do much measuring:

1 pound ground beef (for the carnivore)
    2 chopped red peppers
    2 cups chopped onion
    2 16 oz cans crushed tomatoes
    Beans (whatever you like) -- I weigh out 8 oz dry and then soak/boil them first. I guess it would be about 16 oz canned beans
    2-3T minced garlic
    1/8 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
    1/4 t cayan (sp?) pepper
    Cumin to taste (don't be stingy with it)
    Chili pepper to taste (again, don't be stingy with it)

It makes a ton, though. You may want to cut the recipe in half if it's just you.
  • This makes a huge batch, enough to fill a 5 qt crockpot, and it freezes well to be used a month later.

1 lb ground meat of your choice, sautéed on stove top & then added to crockpot
    19 oz can black bean soup (I use Organics brand from Pavilions, but any will do)
    16 oz can vegetarian baked beans (I use Bushes brand)
    15 oz can beans of your choice (ie., pinto, navy beans, etc.) rinsed/drained
    14.5 oz can chopped tomatoes in puree (I use fire roasted tomatoes because of the extra flavor)
    15 oz can drained whole kernel corn, rinsed/drained
    1 small can of mild chopped green chili (start with half a can, mix in well, let simmer and taste one hour in to cooking to see if you need more)
    1 small can of tomato paste & half can of water (after emptying can, fill with hot water half way, gently shake or stir to get the last of the tomato paste out and pour into crockpot)
    1 bell pepper chopped (microwave for 2-3 mins to help soften)
    2 stalks celery chopped (microwave for 2-3 mins to help soften)
    2-3 large carrots chopped (microwave for 2-3 mins to help soften)
    2-3 cloves garlic minced
    ½ tbsp roasted chipotle chili powder (can use regular chili power)
    1 tbsp parsley
    1 tbsp oregano
    1 tbsp basil

Cook 2-3 hrs on High, then switch to low or warm. Great served over rice or with cornbread. Even better the next day!
  • paintedlady77
    paintedlady77 Posts: 154 Member
    I make a MEAN elk chili...but,I can't reveal my secret. :tongue:
  • SRH7

Ah, go on... you know you want to ;)
  • paintedlady77
    paintedlady77 Posts: 154 Member

Mwaaaaaaahahahaha! I would but I make it by sight and taste, no measuring.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Taco Soup in the slow cooker (AKA: Crockpot)

You can make this with ground beef instead of turkey, and if you would like you can use less water to make it thicker- it's like a chili with corn- the Rotel and the taco seasoning give it the bite, but I just add a little lite sour cream- it's not overly spicy - I just have issues with acid reflux.

Brown 1 pound of ground turkey or beef, drain off fat, dump into slow cooker.
    Add:
    1 can of corn (drained)
    1 can of Creamed Corn
    1 can of Rotel
    1 can of stewed tomatoes
    2 cans of beans (your choice- sometimes I do red kidney chili beans, sometimes white beans, sometimes I get the S & W beans with chipotle seasoning on them)
    1 packet of Taco Seasoning
    2 soup cans (from the corn or beans) of water

Mix well, and cook on low all day - your kitchen will smell AWESOME!!!
    I serve with lite/or fat free sour cream, Juanita's chips, shredded cheese, and taco toppings (fresh tomatoes, onions, etc).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Anyone have any good chili recipes? Looking for something that isn't TOO spicy (some spice is good, but I like my tastebuds right where they're at), non-vegitarian (I'm a carnivore), and Not turkey.

Anyone?

Look up flatlander chili on all-recipes.com. Substitue the V8 for hot and spicy V8, and all the spices for 1 habenero pepper. Enjoy.

If that's too spicy, use 3-5 cerano peppers instead.

• SRH7

Mwaaaaaaahahahaha! I would but I make it by sight and taste, no measuring.

Ha ha! Pretty sure I can't buy elk down my local butchers anyhow ;)
  • SRH7
    Couldn't make my mind up what to have for dinner... now it's going to be some lentil chilli from my freezer with some leftover sweetcorn and chorizo thrown in for good measure. Yum. Thanks OP for starting this thread!