Vegan cheese substitute suggestions?

Options
I'm not a vegan but I was hoping to be an almost-vegan/vegetarian by knowing more about the alternatives that are out there. I'm pretty pegged on to the vegetarian alternatives as I used to be one so it's just the completely animal-free stuff I need more tips on. I want to know more about the brands that people would recommend (ideally ones available in the UK) that are as ethically friendly as possible but affordable too. But most of all, I want something that is actually worth eating!! I don't expect it to taste like the real stuff but...

I bought the vegan cheese, Cheesly, today. Tried it. Hated it. It's honestly disgusting after the first bite! So to all you people in the know-how! What would you recommend!? Not just cheese alternatives, but anything really!

(I already know about seitan, tempeh, tofu, quorn)

Replies

• melissaann262
    Options
    I found an almond cheese last winter and it was amazing. Yes, cheese- made out of almonds. It was perfect because I was paleo at the time, but was missing cheese. it didn't melt super awesome but was perfect for snacks. totally recommend!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat vegan? Why try to make bad substitutes to products you won't eat?
  • Lose_It_Leo
    Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    In an ideal world I would be vegan but I love my real cheese and eggs too much not to, so I am going to compromise by having fewer of them instead. I already don't drink moo milk but that's because I genuinely prefer the taste of soya anyway.
  • veganfoodie
    veganfoodie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In an ideal world I would be vegan but I love my real cheese and eggs too much not to, so I am going to compromise by having fewer of them instead. I already don't drink moo milk but that's because I genuinely prefer the taste of soya anyway.

In the U.S. there's Daiya cheese. A stable for vegans though I agree with the above post; once you give up cheese for good, you stop craving "synthetic" cheeses. There's also Tofutti cream cheese. Nutritional yeast is your best alternative. When you mix it with almond or cashews, blend in a Vitamix with water, it comes out like alfredo sauce. I use it alone and sprinkle it on top of pasta. YouTube is a great resource for recipes.