How many calories - cross-trainer

I ran on my cross-trainer for 30 minutes, it said I burned just over 500 calories which seems far too much. I don't think my cross trainer takes into account weight etc. It says what distance was covered (1800) but not the units which is annoying. If anyone could give a guess as to what it might be measuring in that'd be great too... :)
Just wondering how many calories I actually burned
Edit: I weigh 125 pounds

Replies

• Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    I ran on my cross-trainer for 30 minutes, it said I burned just over 500 calories which seems far too much. I don't think my cross trainers takes into account weight etc. It says what distance was covered (1800) but not the units so Im not sure how I would calculate the actual value
    Just wondering how many calories I actually burned (I weigh 125 pounds)

That definitely sounds hight to me.
    Probably less then half that amount.
    I ran at lunch today (a little slow) but even at 36 minutes I only burned 297 calories according to my HRM and I'm 6'-2" 223 lbs.
  • elorawood
    elorawood Posts: 68 Member
    Seems very high to me too.

Try this calculator: - I like that it adds your age, height, weight etc...

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/activity-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx#
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Ellipticals measure in revolutions so in order to get distance out of it you need to know what a full revolution is in inches and then do the math. Not that it helps much because it isn't the same as running that distance anyway. Machines always measure way too high.