Yoga-Cardio or Strength?

For logging purposes, what would yoga count as? Its a bit of both, isn't it? I'd guess strength more than cardio, but not sure. Thoughts?

Replies

• guidothecat
    guidothecat Posts: 141 Member
    it is under Cardio...I think it is a bit of both, but you can adjust the calories burned by putting in 15 more minutes if you did a strenuous session.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    for logging purposes, it's under Cardio.
    but i think its anabolic.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    I log it with my cardio because it's easier and I don't know how it would translate to the strength part of the site, lol. But technically I qualify it as strength training.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    personally, I wouldnt log it

but you can create your own exercises in the data base if you want
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member

Why not? An intense yoga session can burn a lot of calories. I burn 250-300 personally, and that's coming from my HRM.
  • Dave198lbs

Why not? An intense yoga session can burn a lot of calories. I burn 250-300 personally, and that's coming from my HRM.

like I said...it's just my personal preference

I think yoga is great but the benefits are much more for me than burning calories
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member

I think yoga is great but the benefits are much more for me than burning calories

Of course it is your personal choice but you can have the other benefits AND your calorie burn - one doesn't take the other away.
  • Dave198lbs

Of course it is your personal choice but you can have the other benefits AND your calorie burn - one doesn't take the other away.

yep...I just dont bother logging them
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    All exercise for which you want to account for the calories burned get logged as Cardio on this site.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Lol. Yoga as cardio? Sure, and log running as strength, after all, it does use muscles.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member

I don't log any of my exercise for the calorie burn, but I log it all (under cardio) to keep track of my weekly activity level to inform me when setting my calorie goals (I use a set number from day to day), and to inform me about my own metabolic level/needs. But, maybe I am coming from another direction as I am trying to not lose weight, but to be always working on my fitness. Finding the balance of continued fitness progress without dropping weight.
  • Dave198lbs

I don't log any of my exercise for the calorie burn, but I log it all (under cardio) to keep track of my weekly activity level to inform me when setting my calorie goals (I use a set number from day to day), and to inform me about my own metabolic level/needs. But, maybe I am coming from another direction as I am trying to not lose weight, but to be always working on my fitness. Finding the balance of continued fitness progress without dropping weight.

I log my weights and things like that to track strength progress but I dont log it here and I dont log it for the calories burned

If I am in a cutting phase I will log cardio calories to watch my deficit and make sure it doesn't go too low

yoga, for me, is something beyond exercise
  • Lol. Yoga as cardio? Sure, and log running as strength, after all, it does use muscles.
    yoga... can absolutely be cardio...
    **** i hate ignorant comments like this. vinyasa yoga is aerobic yoga. most yoga classes in north america involve some form of vinyasa flow
  • BinaryPulsar

I log my weights and things like that to track strength progress but I dont log it here and I dont log it for the calories burned

If I am in a cutting phase I will log cardio calories to watch my deficit and make sure it doesn't go too low

yoga, for me, is something beyond exercise

Yeah, I see yoga as having benefits for me physically, mentally and emotionally.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    what kind of yoga are you doing? some take strength...

yogaforbeginnersstrength.jpg
  • Lol. Yoga as cardio? Sure, and log running as strength, after all, it does use muscles.
    **** i hate ignorant comments like this. vinyasa yoga is aerobic yoga. most yoga classes in north america involve some form of vinyasa flow

I agree completely. I do vinyasa yoga almost every day and my heart rate certainly goes high and stays there for an extended period of time. Cardio, for sure. Strength too, absolutely, but it can definitely be a combo of both depending on the TYPE of yoga you are doing. And there are many types of yoga.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Lol. Yoga as cardio? Sure, and log running as strength, after all, it does use muscles.

I agree completely. I do vinyasa yoga almost every day and my heart rate certainly goes high and stays there for an extended period of time. Cardio, for sure. Strength too, absolutely, but it can definitely be a combo of both depending on the TYPE of yoga you are doing. And there are many types of yoga.

Yeah, I love vinyasa flow!!
  • Yogi_Carl
    A vinyasa or power type yoga session will have my heart rate going between 110 and 130 bpm - that's cardio in my book. It's not a case of not being fit either - my resting pulse is 36.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    This OP just asked how to log it. You log it under cardio. Cool out kids- you might need to do some yoga.
  • Yogi_Carl
    This OP just asked how to log it. You log it under cardio. Cool out kids- you might need to do some yoga.

I sense ..... a troll