"The Perfect Girl" -- in 1912

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    This poor woman. She's probably dead, and we're all talking about whether or not she was fat.

Yeah, people need to leave Henry VIII alone already, amirite?
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Too funny! Thanks for the chuckle!
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    It is all relative - sheesh! those people who paid all that money for a ticket on the Titanic must have been SO STOOOOPID!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    She does sound like the perfect woman. She loves beefsteak and knows no fear. I only have the beefsteak part going for me.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I am not a runway model, I am an obese, overweight daughter, sister, aunt, wife, and grandmother. My goal is to be a healthy all of those.

You rock. Carry on.
  • misstoridanielle
    misstoridanielle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Love this! It it was still the standard, I'd almost be the perfect woman :)
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I'm also 5'8" and 35-24.5-32. I'm not even really happy with that. I kind of hate hips though and I would be upset if my hip measurement was bigger than my bust measurement. Ideally I'd like my hips to be <30.

Are you measuring your "hips" in the right spot? The measurement is not at your hipbone, it's around the largest part of your butt.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I don't know what her BF% was, but 5'7" and 171lb would put her at a BMI of 26.8 which is overweight. I don't know why everyone is jumping on me about this. 26.8 is overweight.

Yes, it says it in the article. And you know full well that the BMI does not give the full story, as you said, you do not know what her BF% is, plus you were less than complimentary about her measurements, not her weight.

Her large measurements are a result of being overweight. This article just seems like "fat acceptance" to me and most of the people in this thread seem to think that you can't be a "real woman" without endangering your health by being overweight.

I would venture to say she was very muscular and did not look big at all. Her measurements are not big at all.

I am so glad I don't worry about BMI. It is a worthless measurement to go by.

I am only 5' 3" and when I weighed 135 pounds, I was by BMI standards overweight, but looked like I weighed about 110 compared to other women that were my same height and weight.

I looked a lot smaller than those women due to large muscle mass and lower body fat.

Height and weight does not even begin to tell that story.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    She eats but three meals every 2 days and almost always goes without breakfast...Her favorite food is beefsteak....She has never taken a drink of tea or coffee...She says she has never been ill and doesn't know what fear is....

What what what?? Three meals every 2 days and goes without breakfast?? WHAT was she eating that she maintained 171 lbs if she was only eating 1.5 meals a day? Handfuls of pebbles and small flat stones? Were her meals 3 hours long?

And even if it was true, how was her weight distributed? Is the first number her under bust or her overall bust? How much of it was muscle mass to have those stats? If she was muscular, wouldn't that mean she was more active, thus burning more, so she'd have to eat more?

I would LOVE to believe this story, but something doesn't seem right.

^^ This, thank you for summing up what my thoughts were exactly! Eating 3 meals every 2 days is not healthy!

Many people intermittent fast and there is nothing unhealthy about it. Actually more and more research is coming out with evidence that fasting is actually better as it gives the body a rest so aging is slowed down and it benefits the metabolism also.

There are many health benefits to intermittent fasting.

Don't judge unless you have walked into those shoes.
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options

I am only 5' 3" and when I weighed 135 pounds, I was by BMI standards overweight...

140 puts a 5' 3" woman at a normal BMI.

I don't place a large amount of importance on that standard any more, but still - don't put me back into the overweight category plz. o_0
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

I am only 5' 3" and when I weighed 135 pounds, I was by BMI standards overweight...

I don't place a large amount of importance on that standard any more, but still - don't put me back into the overweight category plz. o_0

Army Dr's told me I was overweight, but didn't see anywhere I could lose weight from..........because I was muscular.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Would just like to stick my oar in and say I have a good friend who happens to be naturally very slim, even though she eats like a horse. She has pretty much a straight up and down figure. She said to me the other day that she was sick of hearing how women that aren't curvy being labelled as 'not real women' or unattractive.

Perhaps the women on here who are criticizing slim girls and calling them 'toothpicks' should think about that. We all seem to assume that skinny women are happy with their bodies, yet in reality most women are unhappy, no matter what they look like. You wouldn't like it if someone criticized your shape.
  • Litlbeast
    Options

Army Dr's told me I was overweight, but didn't see anywhere I could lose weight from..........because I was muscular.

Ok well - *shrug* five bajillion charts and articles say otherwise. And yeah, muscle weighs more than fat. Which is one of the reasons BMI is not the best measurement of fitness or health.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    You people. lol
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    100 years ago, they were trying to quantify the "perfect girl."

We really haven't come that far, have we?
  • Litlbeast
    Options

Heh, really good point. :)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Very true.............I think they have always been trying to quantify the "perfect girl"..
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    And yeah, muscle weighs more than fat.

Every time you say that, a kitten dies.

Please, for the love of cats, stop saying that.

One pound of muscle and one pound of fat weigh the same. The fat just takes up more space because muscle is dense and fat is fluffy, like kittens.
  • Litlbeast
    Options
    And yeah, muscle weighs more than fat.

Every time you say that, a kitten dies.

Please, for the love of cats, stop saying that.

One pound of muscle and one pound of fat weigh the same. The fat just takes up more space because muscle is dense and fat is fluffy, like kittens.

That's what I meant; just multitasking poorly. I love cats but I'll light one on fire just for you, dollface. ;)