eating...nom nom nom:o

Options
is it better to work out before u eat or after? which way do u burn more calories?

Replies

• knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    It's entirely personal preference, you burn the same amount of calories either way. If I workout on a completely empty stomach I burn out quicker but I also have to generally wait at least 1 hour, ideally 2 before working out if I eat. Some people prefer to workout on an empty stomach and some prefer to have food. Calorie burn is based off of your energy exertion during your workout, not when you eat
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    It's entirely personal preference, you burn the same amount of calories either way. If I workout on a completely empty stomach I burn out quicker but I also have to generally wait at least 1 hour, ideally 2 before working out if I eat. Some people prefer to workout on an empty stomach and some prefer to have food. Calorie burn is based off of your energy exertion during your workout, not when you eat

^ This.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Both
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Working out with a full tummy always seems to upset me. So it's usually been a few hours since I've eaten when I work out. I'm pretty sure it doesn't effect your weight loss or calorie burn either way.
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

k cool thanks!!! that helps :)
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Working out with a full tummy always seems to upset me. So it's usually been a few hours since I've eaten when I work out. I'm pretty sure it doesn't effect your weight loss or calorie burn either way.

thank u!!
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i prefer to work out before i work out- i feel less loagy.
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i mean before i eat. i also prefer to eat before i eat.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    After your body continues to burn more an hour after you work out.

Carbs before, protein after.

Personally any kind of meal really hurts my work out so I eat really really really light (like fruit or a small serving of oatmeal or half a cliff bar) but if I know I'm doing a high intensity cardio day/long run I'll carbo load the night before I find it gives me a lot of energy the next day and since it's fully digested by the time I wake up I have no stomach issues

Then I always eat lots of protein after.

I'm a nigh eater and rarely eat during the day, and normally work out like in the early evening/late afternoon so this works for me. But everyone IS different

But the general rule of thumb is carbs before, protein after. And before a work out stay away from heavy fat/fiber cos it's harder to digest.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    i mean before i eat. i also prefer to eat before i eat.

lol me too! :bigsmile:
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I like a snack before a long workout (60 minutes or more and moderate to intense) so that I know I will have ready energy to burn through. I go for quick burning carbs without much protein or fat-- like a banana or oatmeal.

Nothing big or spicy! I keep forgetting and eating spicy tuna rolls a few hours before runs. Bad, bad, bad.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Both. I have something small before otherwise I get lightheaded. After I usually have a protein shake or some other protein rich breakfast. Try it different ways with different amounts to find what works for you.