PBS Video "FAT"

Options
Hey All-- not really sure what this goes under but thought some people might find it interesting. It's a PBS video called "fat" talking about all the factors and how much we don't understand as well as talking with a few different people about how weight effects them.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/takeonestep/fat/index.html

It talks a little about how it's not as simple as calories in / calories out -- is it sleep? is it stress? is it genetic? etc which I feel like is so much of what we see on these boards every day as we try to figure out why the simple formula doesn't always add up. I have mixed feelings on this presentation -- clearly it's not as easy as calories in / calories out, but so far that's really our best option and certainly very related. I feel like some people get upset when the scale doesn't move and it's important to realize that even if that's not the only factor, it is a big factor in weight.

Replies

• mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Calories in / Calories out is an oversimplification to the point of being dangerously wrong.

(If it were that easy, there would be less people that struggle with weight. Those that want to gain weight would have no trouble and those that want to lose weight would have no trouble.)

But people hold on to it as mathematical fact. Until you know the biochemistry behind the breakdown of the molecules, you can't even scratch the surface of understanding the real reason behind what works. (Which no one knows, because everyone is different--indicating genetics probably plays a decent role in some of the process.)

Good post!