Eating before exercising

Options
I have tried to workout when I first get up in the morning but my sugar drops and I feel really sluggish so I have discovered I need to eat before working out. What is a good pre workout meal, I don't really want a full breakfast cause then I have to wait so long before running?

Replies

• bullisnn82
    Options
    peanut-butter is good cuz a couple tablespoons is light in ur belly and quick and easy to eat. A meal bar with lots of protein is good too
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have a slice of 12grain toast with peanut butter. Sometimes a small glass of OJ
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    pb on whole wheat bagel, clif bar, oatmeal etc. I try to eat the amount of calories I expect to burn in the first hour I'm exercising.

I try to keep what I chose between 225 and 300 calories and have it be a combo of protein and high quality carbs. I eat an about an hour or hour and a half before I work out.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    If I'm meeting with my trainer I usually have a protein bar before hand (I like Power Crunch). If I'm running, I'll usually have pnut butter toast, oatmeal or cereal about 1 hour before. I can't eat too much or I get sick to my stomach especially if I don't have much time to digest.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Experiment and find what works best to fuel your body in the morning. Half a bagel and pb plus some coffee always works for me.
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I like to drink 8 oz glass of chocolate milk before a run.:smile:
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    pop tart
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Levothyroxin
  • KPA555
    Options
    I usually do not eat 2 hours prior to training. Just take Navy Seal Formula when I feel lack of energy. The effect is quick and I can easily undertake up to 2 hours workout.
  • Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    An hour before my workout I usually eat an over easy egg with a piece of toast, and then when I get home I will have some fruit.
  • Babsvii
    Babsvii Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i drink a ViSalus shake in the morning before my workout.... wait one hour and then i workout. Gives me tons of energy :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I think it would be whatever is best for you. You can eat your normal breaky like an hour before working out or if you plan to get working out ASAP something like a small protein shake with milk? or maybe a glass of OJ. I personally like to keep at least 30 minutes between eating and working out myself else my tummy feels sluggish
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Eggs
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Half a banana
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried eating something like a bowl of Special K or a Cliff Bar right before you go to bed? If you sleep the standard 8 hours that is, IMO not THAT long to go without eating and it is my preferred method personally because I don't really like eating anything pre-workout because I have slow digestion and it bothers my stomach. Sometimes I "Carbo load" the night before a long run and I find this works really well for me but everyone is different.

if I do eat before I work out I make it something small. 1/4th of a bagel. Small serving of oatmeal. Sometimes I'll have a Gatorade since that had cals/sugar but doesn't really need to be digested.
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    We are all different. Normally porridge with coconut milk before a long run. I can eat that 10 minutes before running with no ill effects. PB though, nope, goes right through me :huh:

If I want to run straight out of bed, half a glass of oj with half a glass of water would get me through 3-4 miles as long as I ate ok the night before. :drinker:
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Banana. Period. Or a glass of milk if you do dairy well.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Banana, tbsp of peanut butter and a glass of milk.
  • tamerica07
    tamerica07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I'm trying to do either a yogurt and banana; or small bowl of cereal
  • jnp96
    jnp96 Posts: 163
    Options
    I can not eat then exercise. I end up wanting to throw up.