When to weigh yourself?

Options
Who else here weigh themselves every week? And if so, when at the end of the week do you weigh yourself? In the morning after waking up? Or at night after your last meal?

Replies

• liegeygirl
    liegeygirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I usually weigh in on Saturdays before we have our cheat meal for the week. We tried weighing in that morning, but we still had water and food in us from the night before. When we weighed again that afternoon, we were down a couple of pounds. I would say during the afternoon between 12-2. How does that sound?
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh daily around 9-10 AM. I do not rely on the scales to tell me I am doing a good job anymore though... I go by my diet, my clothes, and my measurements. I don't know why I still weigh except that it is a habit.
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Sunday morning when I wake up before I eat breakfast. Your weight shifts so much throughout the day that I've learned not to weigh myself every day and definitely not multiple times per day.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning just after I potty. Your tracking will be more reliable if you weigh yourself consistently-however that works for you. I weigh myself in the am because I really don't care how much the food I ate weighs-and since it will generally be several hours since I've eaten when I weigh myself in the am, I'm assuming that's closest to my actual body weight.
  • stanluoser
    Options
    I weigh myself in my boxers after using the bathroom and before eating.
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Usually Monday or Tuesday morning. Right after I wake up.
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week in the a.m. before breakfast & after I use the restroom :bigsmile:
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Once a week after using the loo and before breakfast. Usually a Saturday morning.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Every morning before breakfast. Weighing everyday helps me see what kind of water weight I'm carrying and gives me some information about general inflammation in my body. If my muscles are working hard to recover after a workout they will hold on to water...I know then to take it easy that day.
  • Hallucihate
    Hallucihate Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Get up on Monday morning, go to the bathroom, have a quick workout, get in my birthday suit, and weigh myself, then take a shower.
  • dbmanawat
    Options
    how can you tell what's water weight?
  • autumnwater
    autumnwater Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at night in my underwear before I go shower. I know I'm at my heaviest at night, but when I can be happy with my heaviest weight I know I'll be in the gold. :D Can't wait! Only 4 more pounds to lose!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    The most accurate measure is to weigh first thing in the morning immediately after voiding. This will be a point in the day in which it will be most all you and less the volume of what you have consumed. That being said, most agree that weighing more than once per week just has a lot of variation that can cause you a lot of stress... Others say bi-weekly or even monthly... As for me, I weigh a lot... but count my lows....HOWEVER, I always count my first weight of each month... even it if is up a little from the previously posted weight... this is my OFFICIAL weigh in for the month.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i admit to hopping on the scale every time i walk into my bathroom... however, its more just from curiouslity i think, i dont get stressed when it changes... constantly... my "main" weigh in is friday morning, about 8am, after ive been a wake for an hour or so, after using the bathroom, before eating or drinking anything... NAKED! same for my husband!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    how can you tell what's water weight?

i can tell when its up from my daily average... example... today i was 200.3 in the am, then went to 204, then 202, then 204, then 201... everything above the 200.3 i consider water / food excess...
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I used to, and now I don't care. I weighed in today, the last time I weighed in was a few weeks back I think, I don't even remember. It really doesn't matter to me anymore. It's just a number, and one that doesn't accurately represent one's health, so therefore it's practically pointless.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    I used to, and now I don't care. I weighed in today, the last time I weighed in was a few weeks back I think, I don't even remember. It really doesn't matter to me anymore. It's just a number, and one that doesn't accurately represent one's health, so therefore it's practically pointless.

well, the number matters to me because ive been healthy, even at my heaviest weight of 246 pounds. im a hypochondriac, and visit the dr weekly... she has given me every test / scan / screening known to man, and not only are my numbers / results normal, but some are excellent!!! cholesterol (ldl and hdl), triglycerides, blood pressure, cbc, thyroid panel, blood sugar... everything perfect... dont ask me how, it doest make sense to me! so, really, my weight loss in numbers really means alot to me!!! im 5 foot 10, and finally about to reach into the 1-hundreds here anyday... thats what i have to look forward to, because health wise, im already there... been there actually...
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I do my official weigh-in each Saturday morning after breakfast and Zumba. So it's around noonish. I hop on the scale each morning at home just to make sure I'm not headed in the wrong direction, but I don't stress too much over the fluctuations I see. If I did I'd go a little nutso.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

well, the number matters to me because ive been healthy, even at my heaviest weight of 246 pounds. im a hypochondriac, and visit the dr weekly... she has given me every test / scan / screening known to man, and not only are my numbers / results normal, but some are excellent!!! cholesterol (ldl and hdl), triglycerides, blood pressure, cbc, thyroid panel, blood sugar... everything perfect... dont ask me how, it doest make sense to me! so, really, my weight loss in numbers really means alot to me!!! im 5 foot 10, and finally about to reach into the 1-hundreds here anyday... thats what i have to look forward to, because health wise, im already there... been there actually...
    That's great that your bloodwork came back healthy - it's a great sign, but not comprehensive.

About 7 or 8 years back I was in and out of the ER practically every-other-day with extremely severe chest pains, extreme fatigue, and a bunch of other issues. But all of my bloodwork was normal, every time, ECG was normal, every time, and there was "nothing" wrong with me according to my doctor and the various doctors at the ER. But I really felt like I was dying, and I very probably was dying from long-term major sleep deprivation. One ER doctor finally - on a hunch - referred me to a sleep clinic where I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea, a diagnosis I was unsure about - I hadn't even heard of it at the time. Anyhow, the day after the first night with the machine was amazing, and a few weeks later I was feeling so much better, it was unbelievable. All that to say - clean bloodwork doesn't mean you're necessarily healthy.

In any case, the numbers I value over my scale's numbers are different. Like, the ones on my tape measure - am I losing inches on my waist, belly, neck, chest? How many seconds can I sprint at 10mph at a 10% incline? How many pounds can I lift? How many miles can I run without slowing down to a walk? And so on.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

That's great that your bloodwork came back healthy - it's a great sign, but not comprehensive.

About 7 or 8 years back I was in and out of the ER practically every-other-day with extremely severe chest pains, extreme fatigue, and a bunch of other issues. But all of my bloodwork was normal, every time, ECG was normal, every time, and there was "nothing" wrong with me according to my doctor and the various doctors at the ER. But I really felt like I was dying, and I very probably was dying from long-term major sleep deprivation. One ER doctor finally - on a hunch - referred me to a sleep clinic where I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea, a diagnosis I was unsure about - I hadn't even heard of it at the time. Anyhow, the day after the first night with the machine was amazing, and a few weeks later I was feeling so much better, it was unbelievable. All that to say - clean bloodwork doesn't mean you're necessarily healthy.

In any case, the numbers I value over my scale's numbers are different. Like, the ones on my tape measure - am I losing inches on my waist, belly, neck, chest? How many seconds can I sprint at 10mph at a 10% incline? How many pounds can I lift? How many miles can I run without slowing down to a walk? And so on.

actually, anyone can have sleep apnea, just as anyone can have a wart on thier elbow. my aunt had surgery for sleep apnea, having a portion of her throat "scraped" down. my grandmother wears a mask at night, shes a twig. and yes, actually, when you have been a hypochondriac as long as i have, and had so many tests, scans, and procedures performed, as well as full blood work ups every 90 days, and your dr tells you that your one of her healthiest patients... i do believe that im quite healthy. if your going in weekly with chest pain, as you were, then yes, id say more comprehensive testing should be done, but for someone like me, going in saying... "i dont know why i think i have a finger tumor, i just think i do, can you check it"... wouldnt require or justify a sleep study... just because you had sleep apnea, doesnt mean the rest of us have it. i wake up refreshed, feeling well, and ready to go. im not struggling to breath, at anytime... im sorry you had sleep apnea, but to take your circumstances and suggest to others that they may have it, is like me telling you that you might have a splinter in your butt cheek, because i had one when i was 8. i do not have aches and pains... i do not have any physical health condition, what so ever, other than being a hypochondriac, which is something mental.. so, yes, i value the numbers on my scale, because other than that, my health is very good!