Treadmill VS track

Options
I can run a mile and a half (so far) without stopping.....on the treadmill. So why is it that I can only run for a MINUTE and a half on the track?!? I just started the Couch to 5k again yesterday and it almost killed me!! What's the deal on this?

Replies

• gracefullyjenn
    Options
    It is probably because of the fresh air outside. It changes your breathing
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    because you have to use your body more to move yourself. the ground is not moving under your feet on its own. Also you have other factors playing which are not in play while running on the treadmil, such as win resistance, track surface differences.
    this is why you are feeling the difference in running outside v inside.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    It takes more energy to move your body against a surface (ie: the track) than to move your body against a surface that's already moving for you.
    I struggle on the treadmill, and do better on the track. Go figure.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Are you guys sure? Newton's 3rd law of motion says that if you're pushing off to walk, the surface is pushing back, so if the surface is already moving that wouldn't mean it's any easier or harder to walk on. The only difference would be the amount of friction on the surface and I would think both would have similar coefficients of friction.

I'm a biologist, not a physicist, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

That said, I would think the difference is psychological. Because the treadmill isn't telling you how fast you should be running, you are running at a different rate which may disorient your body to how it's used to moving (like how you can stay balanced blindfolded, but that doesn't mean you walk the same speed even if you know there's nothing in front of you to run into).
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I can run a mile and a half (so far) without stopping.....on the treadmill. So why is it that I can only run for a MINUTE and a half on the track?!? I just started the Couch to 5k again yesterday and it almost killed me!! What's the deal on this?

i'm kinda jealous. i'm the exact opposite.
    dawn
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is that, to expend the same amount of energy that you expend running on the road, you should put the treadmill at a 10% incline. So that says to me that the treadmill is easier.

This is also why walking on a moving sidewalk (i.e., escalator) takes energy than walking on the carpet next to it. :happy:

I find, because the track is a softer surface than a road, that it's easier to run on it than the road, but not as easy as the treadmill.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My problem is the inability to pace myself on the track as compared to the treadmill. On the treadmill I can put it an a particular pace, like 5 or 6 mph and leave it to regulate my pace. Then I can just be a stupid machine and let the thing set my speed - I either maintain that pace or fall off the treadmill - that's pretty good motivation to keep going. On the treadmill the machine is leading you, on the track you're more in control and your body might be more able to serve a machine than to serve you.
  • Alexandra888
    Options
    running on a treadmill is way easier on your body than running on a track or dirt. A track is more unstable and pushes you more. Thats why some people debate about that. Some say its better to run outside rather than in a gym because it puts you in better shape and the fresh air is better. Im not sure tho. Not a doctor. lol.
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options

I prefer the outdoors rain or shine any day over the treadmill. I find I breath better too!
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    Are you guys sure? Newton's 3rd law of motion says that if you're pushing off to walk, the surface is pushing back, so if the surface is already moving that wouldn't mean it's any easier or harder to walk on. The only difference would be the amount of friction on the surface and I would think both would have similar coefficients of friction.

I'm a biologist, not a physicist, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

That said, I would think the difference is psychological. Because the treadmill isn't telling you how fast you should be running, you are running at a different rate which may disorient your body to how it's used to moving (like how you can stay balanced blindfolded, but that doesn't mean you walk the same speed even if you know there's nothing in front of you to run into).

I'm no scientist either, but on a treadmill that momentum is already there, so from my experience, I'm not pushing myself as hard whereas outside, you're challenged by different terrain, weather, your own body weight, etc.
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    it also could be that as you have to choose how much effort you put out when running on the track you are actually working at a higher intensity than when your on the treadmill, possibly without realising it.

but really its taking the running motion from a very controlled situation, or a situation with many variables that any number of factors could be causing the difference

its sorta like comparing hitting a ball of a tee and hitting a ball from a pitcher.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the opinions guys! So next question is: Which will get me in better shape, running on the treadmill (running faster and much longer amounts of time) or running the track (20 min max right now)??
  • feelalive1
    Options
    I read on a runners website that you should set your treadmill to 1.5 incline to get the same resistance as running on a flat level service. You might also be unkowingly be trying to run faster on the track than the treadmill.
  • JennCh
    JennCh Posts: 63
    Options
    I read on a runners website that you should set your treadmill to 1.5 incline to get the same resistance as running on a flat level service. You might also be unkowingly be trying to run faster on the track than the treadmill.

I had the same issue when I started running back in June '09. I ran on a treadmill to get ready for a 5k, and when the day for the race came I had a tough time because of the difference between treadmill running and outdoor running. I talked to a few runners who advised me to put my incline at 1% or 1.5%. Since doing that, I've seen a marked improvement in how I run on the track. My endurance is much better now. It's all about resistance--there's more resistance running outside than when on a treadmill.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the opinions guys! So next question is: Which will get me in better shape, running on the treadmill (running faster and much longer amounts of time) or running the track (20 min max right now)??
    I would say mix it up. I got so much faster at running when I started doing intervals (speed work). You need to do short, fast runs and you need to do longer ones to gain distance.