MFP Calorie Calculations

Are you guys following the recommending Calorie Intake that this site gives you.

Example: Says your goal is 1700 and you eat 1700 calories. Then workout and burn 500 calories. Then you the site says to eat another 500 Calories..

Does that seem right? And if you have been following the sites guidelines is it working.

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    i do and it does for me.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    No I don't.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
  • There is also a really good formula on here that HelloitsDan posted about finding out what is best for you based off of your body Fat percentage... http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/ I wish I could remember the link for the whole breakdown... I will try to find it again and post it here for you
  • No I don't.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.

Yay! Thanks that is what I was trying to find my way back to just now!
  • billr42
    billr42 Posts: 12 Member
    That's a really helpful link. Thank you.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Here's the link to Dan's info - just follow the directions - keep between BMR & TDEE and you'll do fine

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    I've had very good results with the MFP calculations. Actually, I've been shocked by how accurate they are. In any given month, I may lose more or less than MFP calculates I'll use, but averaged over the last year, it is almost perfect.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    I do and it works for me as well. I will say that for me, all the other things arrive at the same number as if I follow mfp and eat my exercise calories. That may not be the case for others (same number, different calculation).
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    I try to stay fairly close most ofd the time. And it works for me. If I exercise, I NEED the extra food. And I exercise nearly every day. Walking mostly, but hilly hiking sometimes and bicycling too. Just started using small weights for WATP. Yeah. I'm doing pretty well with their suggestions.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    I eat back some of my exercise calories not all but other tHan that yes I follow what MFP gives me. And well you can see my ticker ;)
  • I have between 1200 and 1340 cals per day, I exercise between 200 and 700 cals per day, most days I don't eat back my calories, unless I'm particularly hungry, and I've lost 17kgs since August...so yeah, it's working for me, easily...and I feel great
  • rstage79
    rstage79 Posts: 24 Member
    Thanks for all the replies will check into the links..
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Yes - that is the 'correct' way per MFP. I would suggest only eating back 50-75% of your exercise calories, if you stay with this method, to take into account of any inaccuracies in the estimates. If you are losing slower/faster than expected over a month or so, adjust accordingly.
  • I eat back some of my exercise calories because I'm on 1200 right now and I don't want to under eat. I don't eat them all back because of miscalculations and also because the calories you burn while exercising aren't all extra, only most of them are, because even if you hadn't been exercising your body would've still burned some calories during that time. Haha does that make any sense?
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    I have been eating the calories that MFP gave me. Until about a month ago, I didn't eat back all the calories I burned during exercise (probably ate back about 1/4 - 1/2 if I was hungry) because I wasn't too sure about the exercise calories burned. A month ago I bought myself a heart-rate monitor and I wear that every time I exercise and plug that number in so I am more confident now to eat back most of my exercise calories. I have lost 40.5 kg (89 lbs) since the last week of March. I reckon it's working.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Yes I use MFP method (eating back exercise calories) and yes it works (did slightly customise settings after a month though).

MFP adds your exercise calories to your routine activity level so you should eat back calories.

TDEE minus percentage method factors in the exercise calories into the calculation already.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Yes I eat back by calories to a MINIMUM of my BMR and UPTO a 15-20% deficit of my TDEE.
    Normally comes close to the MFP calorie goal on normal days.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Watch out logging and eating exercise calories. I bought a HRM a while ago and realized that MFP OVERESTIMATED my calorie burn by an average of 50%. This could stall weight loss in someone looking to lose. I'd get a HRM to track your calorie burn and just input those numbers manually.
  • rstage79
    rstage79 Posts: 24 Member
    So my next question is:

what is my activity level. i do workout about 6 days a week. Also, i do bjj about 1 to 4 times a week at night. I basically have a desk job that i sit around for most of the day.