I Don't know where to start...

Options
So exercising is definitely my weakness. I have no idea where to start. Also, I have a tight budget so I do not have access to a gym, which makes it even harder to figure out what to do.:grumble:

If anyone has any suggestions on good exercises and/or how often I should do them I'm all ears. :smile:

Replies

• SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    So exercising is definitely my weakness. I have no idea where to start. Also, I have a tight budget so I do not have access to a gym, which makes it even harder to figure out what to do.:grumble:

If anyone has any suggestions on good exercises and/or how often I should do them I'm all ears. :smile:

Walking and or running is the cheapest exercise you can do. Plus its one of the best. The big thing is just to get moving. I know you can do it. If you have to break it in to 10 or 15 minute sessions and shoot for a goal of 90 minutes a week the first month.
  • Changes4Life
    Options
    Hello there! You can walk...that is free other than maybe a pair of good shoes. Also, at walmart there are dvd's for cheap. For $9.00 you can get the Biggest Loser Boot Camp workout dvd. It is awesome and easy to do at home. You could also get 2 5lb dumbbells. So for about $20 you can get started. Goodluck!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Check your local library, freecycle and good will for exercise videos. (Walk away the pounds and Biggest Loser are good ones)
    If you have cable check on demand for fit tv or exercise tv.
    Walk around the neighborhood or walk or jog in place at home.
    Pushup and squats are good free strength training moves. Check out exrx.net and bodybuilding.com for routines and tips.
    Hope this helps:flowerforyou:
  • 2bskinnyagain1978
    Options
    I love Leslie Sansone's walk away the pounds dvds she has a great selection at walmart they r a good work out but easy enough u can finish without feeling like it is to difficult.. it's like 10 dollars a dvd the four mile walk is a good one .. Good Luck..
  • gracefullyjenn
    Options
    I really like the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs too. I also love my Wii Fit Plus
  • Alexandra888
    Options
    Start by putting down the fork. lol. Just kidding. Look around and find ideas that will work for you. Im a binger so a low calorie diet works great for me cuz i learn portion control. And im broke too so cant spend too much on health food so i just think about how much money im saving when i DONT eat all the unhealthy crap. If i didnt eat any chocolate or bread... i'd save a fortune! So thats exactly what im going to do. I hope you find what you need and good luck! Keep us posted on how youre doing. :)
  • emmie305
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I am definitely going to incorporate walking/jogging into my daily schedule. I also plain to get a work out dvd this weekend. Thanks again!!! :happy:
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I love to walk! I lost 30 lbs last year walking. I lost 20 more once I started doing 30 Day Shred (Jillian Michael) FREE OnDemand! LOVE it, 20 minutes, great workout, etc!! If you don't have OnDemand Costco has them cheap, like $9.99 or $7.99.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Walking is always a cheap and easy place to start. You should check out the free workout videos at : http://www.exercisetv.tv/ - it's a great site.
    __

You should aim for working out at least 3 times a week- I feel best when I workout 5 days a week at least, and I don't like to skip more than one day at a time. How long you should workout depends on your intensity.
  • stephslind
    Options
    You don't need a gym. Where there is a will there's a way. Just start by walking. Go for 10 minutes a day, the next week go for 15 whatever. Just start and build. It'll get easier as you go. Discipline is the main thing you need. Discipline to make yourself make the effort. As you get stronger add other activities, always try to take the stairs, take the longer route in the store instead of the shortest, every little bit helps. You can do pushups and crunches anywhere. Your own body can provide the best resistance.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Walking is great. Also, use items around the house. You can lift laundry detergent bottles, do sink push-ups (lean against the sink while you are waiting for the water to warm up, etc.), do squats while watching TV or folding laundry. Instead of walking from room to room, do lunges. There are lots of ways to do stuff around the house and keep your budget in check. And, believe it or not, you just might get a better workout than if you were at a gym.
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    walking is great/ cardio...

definatly try and add some strength training in there as well.

Be it body weight resistance, or using household items as weights or my personal favourite if you don't mind looking a tad silly, using your local play ground...

check out this site, while a lot of the articles are a bit special, some of the work outs are actually quite good.

I'm currently using the belly off workouts as a basis for my strength training, cause I'm being a bit lazy about planning them myself atm, but there are lots of good ideas and they do have some nice functional exercises that use mutliple muscle groups and work opposite muscles and the whole body which is what you want.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness
  • One thing that I do when I play video games, like Madden for instance, is whenever a team scores a touchdown, I do a set of pushups. When I watch sports on tv, I spend at least a half walking on my treadmill. A boxing stand and bags will cost about 200 bucks and is always a good workout for arms. I hit the speed bag for 30 minutes and it causes lots of sweat, so that can only be a good thing.

Good luck and stay focused!