belly belly go away!!!

Options
gisii
gisii Posts: 74 Member
Hi all, i seem to store my fat all in my belly area... wat are some foods that i can eat to burn my belly fat, i dont eat meat, i do excercise regularly, but i hate doing adominals, i do it thou but not everyday,

any suggestions?

Replies

• spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    other than continue to lose body fat,. there really is nothing you can do

nothing you eat, no specific exercises or rules will make you burn fat from one part of your body or another faster.

sounds like your like me and have low rate metabolising fat in the abdominal region. I empathise, but just keep doing what your doing, eat healthy, exercise and continue to lose body fat and it will decrease...
  • supercool111
    Options
    Yeah you can't really spot reduce BUT luckily for you, people that store weight around there mid section lose weight faster and more easily than others.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I know for me, cutting out processed foods helped out a lot. I don't like doing abdominal work that much either, but I have been doing the plank position and side planks, starting with like 15 seconds to begin with, and now worked up to 1:15. I have noticed a difference in the definition.

I wish you great success!
  • gisii
    Options
    thanks guys ur the best!! i will keep ya posted....

btw that pic that i have in my ticker was me 2 years ago i need to get bak there
  • rachefc
    Options
    White bread causes you to put on weight around that area so I would suggest not even treating yourself tot hat if you have the calories to spare. Movements where you rotate from your waist can help. I do something called a russian twist - in a bridge position with just my shoulders on a swiss ball and pointing my hands straight out twist onto one shoulder and then back and to the other side. That is really supposed to target your belly!!
  • trudemurphy
    Options
    Tips for Fat Loss - Not just Weight Loss

1) Keep blood sugar balanced
    1) Eat breakfast within 1 hour of waking up - mostly protein
    2) Have Mid-morning snack > Lunch > Mid afternoon snack > Dinner
    3) NO Eating after dinner - at least 3 hours before bed. Even if you get hungry before bed,
    don't eat. You will enjoy eight hours of solid fat burning. When in a "fasting" mode at
    night, the body will access stored fat for energy. That's why its important to wake up
    and eat breakfast.

2) Drink 2 liters or more of water a day.
    Water is the catalyst to flushing fat out and keeping the body
    healthy. It helps you feel full during the day. Thirst is often mistaken for
    hunger.

3) Don't Eat at the wrong times.
    Don't eat or drink anything high in carbohydrates 1 hour before exercise
    or 3 hrs before bed. During these two times of needed "energy", you want
    your body to burn fat not carbohydrates. The wrong food at the wrong time
    is a secret enemy of exercise. If you exercise regularly and don't achieve
    fat loss, its probably because your insulin levels were too high while working
    out which means your body was not attacking fat stores, but instead burning
    readily available carbohydrates. Limiting carbs (esp at bedtime & exercise)
    turns your body into a fat burning machine. Snacks should be healthy and small

4) Eat Enough Protein
    If you don't get enough protein, your body goes into a "starvation mode"
    which lowers your basic metabolic rate. People who east mostly carbs
    typically have high body fat, especially around the mid section.

5) Consume at least 1,200 calories A Day but not more than 1,500.
    Less than 1,200 - the body will again go into a "starvation mode" which will reset
    the metabolism at a lower rate making fat loss difficult.

Worst Food Additives That Interfere With Weight Management

Artificial Sweeteners (esp. Nutra Sweet)
    Has been proven to affect behavior of children (esp. ages 4-14). Causes migraine headaches, numbness, moodswings,
    linked with brain tumors and cancer, lowers acidity of urine making the urinary tract more susceptible to infection.
    All diet products, esp sodas, that contain nutra sweet will increase body fat even though they contain no calories because
    the chemicals interfere with the body's ability to metabolize carbohydrates naturally.

Margarine/Hydrogenated Oil
    When vegetable fats are heated to make margarine (hydrogenation) they become "trans-fatty acids" which have significant
    cancer-causing potential. Use tub butter (all natural), cold or expeller pressed oils (olive, walnut, sunflower, safflower, etc) Avoid
    cottonseed oils. Refrigerate all oils, they become rancid if left at room temperature. Avoid fast food - excess of fat, sugar, salt.
    Avoid foods with more than 2 grams of saturated fat per serving. Essential Fatty Acids (Omega 3's) from cold-water fish oil and cold-pressed
    vegetable oils (small amounts) are essential for weight managment.

White Flour/White Sugar
    Bleached, enriched flours have been stripped of nutrients. "The whiter the bread, the quicker you're dead" Switch to whole grain, unbleached, unbrominated, unenriched. Replace white refined sugar with natural sweeteners like honey, fructose, maple syrup, etc. The fiber in whole grains bind with toxins in the body for removal. Also, fiber bulks up in the intestines to clean out the digestive tract which creates a feeling of fullness which reduces food intake.

All Non Organic Diary/Meat Products
    Contain hormones, antibiotics, steriods, etc that interfere with the body's natural slimming processes. These chemicals
    are given to livestock to "fatten" them up quickly. The same thing happens to people when they consume these non-organic meat/dairy
    products. The only way to avoid them is to eat organic meats and dairy.

Foods Highest in Chemicals that Interfere with Metabolism: (Any of these foods that are organic are fine.)
    butter - salmon - spinach - strawberries - cream cheese - raisins - apples (unpeeled) - dill cucumber
    pickles - summer squash - green peppers - collards - processed cheese from U.S.

Resources: A consumers Dictionary of Food Additives by Ruth Winter
    How to Be Your Own Nutritionist by Dr. Stuart M. Berger
    Foods as Medicine by Earl Mindell
    The Body Resotration Plan by Dr. Paula Baillie-Hamilton

Trude Muphy trudem@earthlink.net
  • trudemurphy
    Options
    The 10 Best Foods for Flatter Abs
    Eat up for flatter abs -- these waist-whittling foods give you a dose of ab-ulous nutrients in every bite. The sad truth: You can crunch yourself into a coma and still have ab flab. If you really want a sleek, sexy midriff, you've got to tweak your diet. All of the best waist-whittling foods contain fiber to banish bloat, antioxidants to boost your abs routine's effectiveness, and protein to help maintain a healthy metabolism. Here, the top 10 choices for flatter abs.
    1. Almonds
    These delicious and versatile nuts contain filling protein and fiber, not to mention vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant. They're also a good source of magnesium, a mineral your body must have in order to produce energy, build and maintain muscle tissue, and regulate blood sugar. "A stable blood-sugar level helps prevent cravings that can lead to overeating and weight gain," says David Katz, MD, a professor at the Yale University School of Medicine. But what makes almonds most interesting is their ability to block calories. Research indicates that the composition of their cell walls may help reduce the absorption of all of their fat, making them an extra-lean nut. Try for: An ounce a day (about 23 almonds), with approximately 160 calories. An empty Altoids tin will hold your daily dose perfectly.
    2. Eggs
    You won't find a more perfect protein source. Eggs are highly respected by dietitians because of their balance of essential amino acids (protein building blocks used by your body to manufacture everything from muscle fibers to brain chemicals). We like them because they keep our hands out of the cookie jar. Researchers at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center found that when people ate eggs in the morning, they felt less hungry throughout the day than when breakfast consisted of complex carbohydrates like bagels. "The protein and fat in the egg may be contributing to the feeling of satiety," says lead researcher Nikhil V. Dhurandhar, PhD. Try for: One egg a day, unless you have high blood cholesterol, in which case you should check with your doctor first.

3. Soy
    Soybeans are a great source of antioxidants, fiber, and protein. Plus, they're incredibly versatile. Snack on dry-roasted soybeans, toss shelled edamame into soups, and slip a spoonful of silken tofu into your morning smoothie. Liquid soy also makes a good meal replacement: A study from the Journal of the American College of Nutrition found that overweight subjects who drank a soy milkbased meal replacement lost more weight than those who consumed a traditional dairy-based diet drink. Try for: Twenty-five grams of whole (not isolated) soy protein daily. A half cup of steamed edamame contains about 130 calories and 11 grams of protein. Four ounces of tofu (94 calories) contain 10 grams. Choose whole soy foods over products packed with "isolated soy protein" -- the latter may not provide all the benefits of whole soybeans.

4. Apples
    A 2003 study in the journal Nutrition found that overweight women who consumed three apples or pears a day for three months lost more weight than their counterparts who were fed a similar diet with oat cookies instead of fruits. "A large apple has five grams of fiber, but it's also nearly 85 percent water, which helps you feel full," explains Elisa Zied, RD, author of So What Can I Eat?! (Wiley, 2006). Apples also contain quercetin, a compound shown to help fight certain cancers, reduce cholesterol damage, and promote healthy lungs. Try for: An apple (or two) a day. A study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry found that the Red Delicious, Cortland, and Northern Spy varieties had the highest antioxidant activity.

5. Berries
    Most are loaded with fiber, every dieter's best friend. The more fiber you eat -- experts say that it's best to get between 25 and 35 grams every day -- the fewer calories you absorb from all the other stuff you put in your mouth. That's because fiber traps food particles and shuttles them out of your system before they're fully digested. Berries (and other fruits) are also high in antioxidants, which not only help protect you from chronic diseases like cancer but may also help you get more results from your workouts. "Antioxidants help improve blood flow, which can help muscles contract more efficiently," says Dr. Katz. Try for: At least half a cup daily, or about 30 calories' worth. Don't limit yourself to the usual suspects, like raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries. If you can find them, add boysenberries, gooseberries, and black currants to the mix for excitement.

6. Leafy Greens
    Their cancer-preventing carotenoids won't help shrink your waistline, but their low calorie count definitely will. One cup of spinach contains only about 40 calories, while a cup of broccoli has 55 calories and satisfies 20 percent of your day's fiber requirement. Most leafy greens are also a good source of calcium, an essential ingredient for muscle contraction. In other words, they help fuel your workouts. Try for: Three servings daily. Keep a bag of prewashed baby spinach in your fridge and toss a handful into soups, salads, pasta dishes, stir-fries, and sandwiches. When you get sick of spinach, reach for a bunch of arugula, broccoli rabe, or broccolini, a cross between broccoli and Chinese kale.

7. Yogurt
    People who get their calcium from yogurt rather than from other sources may lose more weight around their midsection, according to a recent study published in the International Journal of Obesity. The probiotic bacteria in most yogurts help keep your digestive system healthy, which translates into a lower incidence of gas, bloating, and constipation, which can keep your tummy looking flat. Try for: One to three cups a day of low-fat or fat-free yogurt. Choose unsweetened yogurt that contains live active cultures. Add a handful of fresh chopped fruit for flavor and extra fiber.

8. Veggie Soup
    Researchers at Pennsylvania State University found that people who ate broth-based (or low-fat cream-based) soups two times a day were more successful in losing weight than those who ate the same amount of calories in snack food. Soup eaters also maintained, on average, a total weight loss of 16 pounds after one year. "Plus, it's a simple way to get your vegetables," says Susan Kleiner, PhD, RD, author of Power Eating (Human Kinetics, 2001). Try for: At least one cup of low-calorie, low-sodium vegetable soup every day.

9. Salmon
    Seafood, especially fatty fish like salmon, tuna, and mackerel, is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids. These uber-healthy fats may help promote fat burning by making your metabolism more efficient, according to Kleiner. An Australian study showed that overweight people who ate fish daily improved their glucose-insulin response. Translated, this means that seafood may help slow digestion and prevent cravings. If that doesn't hook you, consider this: Seafood is an excellent source of abs-friendly protein. Try for: Two four-ounce servings per week. Wild salmon, though pricey, contains more omega-3 fatty acids than farm-raised. (If it doesn't say wild, it's farm-raised.) If seafood's not your thing, you can get your omega-3's from flaxseed (grind and sprinkle on your cereal) or walnuts.

10. Quinoa
    Never heard of it? Pronounced KEEN-wah, this whole grain contains 5 grams of fiber and 11 grams of protein per half cup. Cook it as you would any other grain (although some brands require rinsing). Quinoa's nutty flavor and crunchy-yet-chewy texture are like a cross between whole-wheat couscous and short-grain brown rice. Try for: At least one half-cup serving (a third of your whole-grain requirements) per day. Try substituting AltiPlano Gold brand instant quinoa hot cereal (160 to 210 calories per packet), in Chai Almond and Spiced Apple Raisin, for oatmeal. Look for it in health-food stores.

Originally published in Fitness magazine, June 2006.

http://www.shaklee.net/newlife/product/WeightManagement - Shaklee's weight management program Shakleenow@gmail.com 919-841-1317
  • PinguimPraiero
    PinguimPraiero Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the posts, trudemurphy!

I am surprised to read that collard greens and green peppers are high in chemicals, as I have access to organic foods where I live. I juice those two almost every day! At least I store them in the fridge and treat them in vinegar water, for some peace of mind if anything.

About the belly, increasing the muscle mass there is important, IMO, even if the muscles aren't showing through yet. Paying attention to your posture actually strengthens those muscles, too, I was told by a personal trainer.

And gisii, you just keep it up and you will get that cute little tummy back!
  • gisii
    Options
    yea hopefully!! and thanks for all ur tips!!
  • dogmeat
    Options
    3) NO Eating after dinner - at least 3 hours before bed. Even if you get hungry before bed, don't eat.
    This has no factual basis, and is counterproductive for weight loss. Eating late does not hurt your progress, and going on for hours while hungry is plain silly. Save some calories for a late snack, and never go to bed hungry.
    5) Consume at least 1,200 calories A Day but not more than 1,500. Less than 1,200 - the body will again go into a "starvation mode" which will reset the metabolism at a lower rate making fat loss difficult.
    No. While 1200kcal/d limit is fairly commonly accepted "absolute minimum", having "one size fits all" upper limit is purely nonsense. Your daily calorie goals depend on your weight, gender, age and body composition, and making a blanket statement like that can be downright harmful.
    Margarine/Hydrogenated Oil
    When vegetable fats are heated to make margarine (hydrogenation) they become "trans-fatty acids" which have significant
    cancer-causing potential. Use tub butter (all natural), cold or expeller pressed oils (olive, walnut, sunflower, safflower, etc)
    Most margarines these days do not contain trans fats. Check the label. Butter is generally much higher in saturated fats, so use with care.
    The 10 Best Foods for Flatter Abs

While the list is helpful for generally healthy eating, it's good to remember that no food, exercise or pill will ever specifically target abdominal region, or any other specific region.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,068 Member
    Options
    argh.
  • 1204life
    Options
    Corn makes my belly stick out. bummer because I love corn tortillas etc...
  • izzypup
    izzypup Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    3) NO Eating after dinner - at least 3 hours before bed. Even if you get hungry before bed, don't eat.
    This has no factual basis, and is counterproductive for weight loss. Eating late does not hurt your progress, and going on for hours while hungry is plain silly. Save some calories for a late snack, and never go to bed hungry.

I always wondered about this... If i don't eat 3 hours before bed, I am sick to my stomach when i wake up. Sometimes I actually will have dry heaves. I usually will have something about an hour before i go to bed. It might be some almonds, apple, or even sugar free pudding (60 cals). I just figure that i rarely go 3 hours without eating during the day. Good luck with the tummy. I am working on mine to!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I always wondered about this... If i don't eat 3 hours before bed, I am sick to my stomach when i wake up. Sometimes I actually will have dry heaves. I usually will have something about an hour before i go to bed. It might be some almonds, apple, or even sugar free pudding (60 cals). I just figure that i rarely go 3 hours without eating during the day. Good luck with the tummy. I am working on mine to!
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

(This is why I said "argh" a minute ago)

Here is what the good points were about eating close to bedttime:
    3) Don't Eat at the wrong times.
    Don't eat or drink anything high in carbohydrates 1 hour before exercise
    or 3 hrs before bed. During these two times of needed "energy", you want
    your body to burn fat not carbohydrates. The wrong food at the wrong time
    is a secret enemy of exercise. If you exercise regularly and don't achieve
    fat loss, its probably because your insulin levels were too high while working
    out which means your body was not attacking fat stores, but instead burning
    readily available carbohydrates. Limiting carbs (esp at bedtime & exercise)
    turns your body into a fat burning machine.
    Snacks should be healthy and small

I always eat before bed. Your body doesn't care when you eat. It is WHAT you eat that makes the difference. The above original quote got it right: Stay away from carbs at these times.

The ideal late snack is dairy or protein, it metabolizes slowly and dairy can help some people sleep. I like lowfat cottage cheese as a late snack. I can't sleep on an empty tummy.

DogMEAT is funny!!!! LOL The name....HA ha....cracked me up!!!! Sorry, i had to have a little chuckle when you said Dogmeat got is wrong...LOL. (the little things):laugh:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    DogMEAT is funny!!!! LOL The name....HA ha....cracked me up!!!! Sorry, i had to have a little chuckle when you said Dogmeat got is wrong...LOL. (the little things):laugh:

tee hee. I love him, he's awesome....so I went back and edited my response. He didn't really get it completely wrong. But there are good points to be made about what you eat close to bedtime.
  • dkcj4fox
    Options
    Well, even this statement is somewhat confusing " Don't eat or drink anything high in carbohydrates 1 hour before exercise "

Because if it's weight training exercise then you want some carbs pre or even intra workout!

edit: I'd like to know how many carbs they consider high????
  • dogmeat
    Options
    I love him, he's awesome....so I went back and edited my response. He didn't really get it completely wrong. But there are good points to be made about what you eat close to bedtime.

Thank you :smile:

Those two were separate points, I only picked and chose what I disagreed with the most.

I don't recommend anyone to stuff multiple 2 lb packages of raw sugar down their throat right before bed just because late eating is okay. I generally recommend nuts to catch up to calorie goals, but then again, I recommend nuts all the time and in every second post no matter what the topic is. Having problems filling up your calorie goals? Eat nuts. Don't get enough good fats? Eat nuts. Having steering problems with your Corolla? Eat nuts. And then take it back to the dealership for repair.
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • gisii
    Options
    wow interesting..... so i can eat before bed?