Breaking your own rules?

Options
What do you guys do when you set goals for yourself, or set limitations for yourself, and then fail to meet them? Do you just try again next time, or do you try to do something to make up for it?

For example, there are a lot of exercise goal threads floating around. I joined one aiming to run 50 miles this month. Doesn't look like I'm going to make it. I'm not too worried about this goal, but when you set exercise or weight loss goals for yourself and fail to meet them, what do you do about it?

The thing that's bugging me more is that months ago I told myself that if I could stay under my calorie goal every day in December, I would take 'off' Christmas Eve and Christmas Day to eat whatever I want. But I've been over my goal almost every day this week. Now, I know Christmas is special and I will probably still take those days off and get back on track after the holidays, but when you set rules for yourself, do you think there should be consequences to breaking them? Do you forgive yourself and carry on, or do you feel that there's no point in setting rules for yourself if you're just going to break them?

Replies

• Nanook8
    Nanook8 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Gotta be forgiving and just keep starting over; otherwise the guilt is overwhelming and for me, leads to giving up. Each day is a new day. Do set goals and try your best...the consequences are natural in that you will gain weight if you don't achieve your goal, so why compound that with a self imposed consequence. Forgive yourself, move on, stay positive and try try try again....never give up!
  • firebird7171
    Options
    My opinion is to keep giving yourself goals to achieve, that obviously have rules. I wouldn't stop doing that. The objective is to keep trying and start out by making them challenging but also realistic to what your able to do with your schedule etc.. You will get there, don't give up, build yourself up and make your goals more challenging in baby steps. That's just my opinion.
  • badmojo108
    Options
    Sometimes it helps me to take a long view of things. When I fail to meet a short term goal sometimes it helps to look at how I am doing overall and how far I have come, or even how far I have to go. From that perspective, one day or even one week won't take me that far off track as long as I don't let bad behaviors become a habit which will prevent me from achieving my long term goals.

We are all making a lifestyle change here, that is hard and there will be setbacks. There will always be bad days/weeks, it's life and we have to accept that. Don't lose sight of your long term goals, and give yourself credit for how far you've come. Remember that no matter how far off track you go, you can still get back on track as long as you don't give up.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    You know how some people use the term 'Cheat Day'? I use the term 'Postponement Day'. If I go too far beyond my calorie limit, if I order that amazing desert at a restaurant, if I enjoy several adult beverages, or if I neglect to work out for too many days in a row...I didn't cheat. I just postponed my goal a bit. That's all. As long as I don't 'miss the mark' too often or for an extended time period, I'll most likely just hold steady at this weight. As long as I'm not gaining again, I don't worry. Holding steady is an accomplishment in itself. If I halt myself from actually losing weight for a couple days, it's just a postponement.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I take the long view...big picture. My goal is to get to a healthy weight and increase my level of fitness...I don't need to do it by XXX date or anything. I've been over on my calories every day this week, but I'm still ultimately at a deficit for the week...if I was eating over my calorie goal and going over maintenance, then I might get a little miffed at myself...but a deficit is still a deficit. I try not to make rules for myself that are too rigid.