new year GYM newbies argg get ready

Options

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    <
    silly New Years Resolutioner - 12 months, 62 pounds and a 5K later :flowerforyou: :laugh: :happy: :tongue: :smokin:

:heart:

Win.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I hope i dont offend anyone.

this is the time after new years where the newbies will come out of their homes and terrorise the GYM with their stupidy not all of course. you will see them lurking on the cable machines and on their phones beware I cant stand this. it will last 1-2 months or more then it will go back to normal dont be alarmed.

I just thought id have a little Rant. the time is comming
    Don't worry - once you win the Mr. Olympia, you'll probably have your very own gym all to yourself with no newbies to bother you or block your view of yourself in the mirrors.

BTW - I've been lifting in gyms for about 15 years longer than you've been alive - so you're a "gym newbie" to me.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me. Noobs don't normally take up the squat racks, Deadlift area, and that kind of thing. And, if they do, good for them.

I hear what you're saying though. The gym gets really busy Jan & Feb, then clears out and gets back to normal again in March.
  • jodfie
    jodfie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Any time you have to begin a post with, "I hope I don't offend anyone," you're really better off just not saying it.
    agree with the bold!! i seriously dont understand why such a powerful and motivational tool as such this website is has SO MANY TROLLS
  • amber1533
    amber1533 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Wow...Yeah, I'm offended. One of my goals for the next year was to join a gym. I have some social anxiety issues and am self-conscious..let me tell you - knowing there might be people like you there "really" makes me want to go now.... -.-

Yeah, I am in the same boat, But proving people who think I won't last wrong is a good motivator for me. I understand getting annoyed with people who stand on a machine with their phone texting or what not and not exercising but I think it is crazy when people go to a gym and get mad when they see other people there.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    IMO, I don't see any problem. Actually I enjoy seeing new people in the gym. Some people find the drive and change their lives, others, well.. maybe next year. I say good for them, at least they are trying, right?

And I prefer the home workoutsas well, or the great outdoors.

I don't see a problem either. What if every single person who joined the gym this year stayed? Wouldn't it just be come "normal"? Would the regulars switch gyms because it was busy all the time?

One can only hope!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Any time you have to begin a post with, "I hope I don't offend anyone," you're really better off just not saying it.
    agree with the bold!! i seriously dont understand why such a powerful and motivational tool as such this website is has SO MANY TROLLS

*facedesks*

Okay, lets go over...again....what trolling is ---->

Trolling:::: The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue. Trolling does not mean just making rude remarks: Shouting swear words at someone doesn't count as trolling; it's just flaming, and isn't funny. Spam isn't trolling either; it pisses people off, but it's lame.

The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
    Trolling requires decieving; any trolling that doesn't involve decieving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccesful troll.

This isn't a troll. This is just someone who thought he was being funny....

Edited to add - The definition was copied from Urban Dictionary
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Wow...Yeah, I'm offended. One of my goals for the next year was to join a gym. I have some social anxiety issues and am self-conscious..let me tell you - knowing there might be people like you there "really" makes me want to go now.... -.-

Yeah, I am in the same boat, But proving people who think I won't last wrong is a good motivator for me. I understand getting annoyed with people who stand on a machine with their phone texting or what not and not exercising but I think it is crazy when people go to a gym and get mad when they see other people there.

I'm also pretty sure standing and texting on a machine is a regular occurance every day anyways (otherwise, we would have so many "what irks you at the gym" threads). You have to weed through the thorns to get to the roses.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    any trolling that doesn't involve decieving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid.

LOL
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Everybody's gotta start sometime. Maybe they'll see you killing it at the gym and be motivated, even though the original plan may have just been to lurk on the cable machines or bike and text. Give them a chance.

When I first started at the gym a few years ago, I looked like one of those girls just lazing away on the bike for 5 minutes, or spending 3 minutes on the elliptical then calling it a day. You know what though? A few weeks before that, I was entirely paralyzed from a stroke. I literally could not move my arms or legs. Those 3 or 5 minutes were as hard then as squatting 135 is for me now. Probably harder, actually.

Let's not judge those when we don't know their story.

There is a lady I see at the gym semi-regularly. She is older, and her hubby has to literally take some sort of sports wrap or tape and attach her hands to the handles of the recumbent elliptical. She moves slow, but she DOES it for like 30 minutes at a time. What REALLY blows my mind is that she has gone out of her way to encourage ME. If I happen to walk by her elliptical on my way out, she tells me how awesome I am doing. One day she was walking out while I was chatting with the trainer on my way out. As she passed by she commented to HIM how awesome I was doing!
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I don't think the OP was saying that people who make New Year's Resolutions and stupid, or that people who are newbies are stupid. It may not have been the most sensitive comment,, but really, some of you seem to be overly defensive. To those of you who are serious and are trying: he's not talking about you. People who are not serious about working out, who sit around on the machines texting (which can be dangerous if you are not paying attention to what you are doing) are what bothers him. It's not like he is going to the gym and SAYING these things to people. Take it easy.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Someone did a thread like this a few days ago and one of the best answers that were given was that maybe instead of being an "elitist" and judging these people - maybe offer to help them figure some stuff out.

This.

I drifted away from the gym for a while and when I finally joined a very new, very nice gym, the resident gym rats were less than welcoming of this chubby newcomer.

I always smile at, encourage or help out those that seem to be struggling....

Just because it should be repeated.

I'm one of those annoying people who looks around while I am on the treadmill. if I see someone near me looking confused at the buttons on the treadmill, I will slow down and make an effort to help them with it.

I also had some lady walk up and apologize for gawking at me while I was on the assisted pull up machine ( I hadn't noticed), she seemed interested in learning how to use it, so I showed her how!

I made a comment to a lady who I saw using the plate loaded leg press about how one day I wanted to use it--so she showed me how!!
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    People complaining about new year GYM newbies argg get ready.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I applaud the noobs!! Sure... many wont last...but some will... and isn't that what we are here for... to help others?
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

Someone did a thread like this a few days ago and one of the best answers that were given was that maybe instead of being an "elitist" and judging these people - maybe offer to help them figure some stuff out.

This.

I drifted away from the gym for a while and when I finally joined a very new, very nice gym, the resident gym rats were less than welcoming of this chubby newcomer.

I always smile at, encourage or help out those that seem to be struggling....

Just because it should be repeated.

I'm one of those annoying people who looks around while I am on the treadmill. if I see someone near me looking confused at the buttons on the treadmill, I will slow down and make an effort to help them with it.

I also had some lady walk up and apologize for gawking at me while I was on the assisted pull up machine ( I hadn't noticed), she seemed interested in learning how to use it, so I showed her how!

I made a comment to a lady who I saw using the plate loaded leg press about how one day I wanted to use it--so she showed me how!!

:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Everybody's gotta start sometime. Maybe they'll see you killing it at the gym and be motivated, even though the original plan may have just been to lurk on the cable machines or bike and text. Give them a chance.

When I first started at the gym a few years ago, I looked like one of those girls just lazing away on the bike for 5 minutes, or spending 3 minutes on the elliptical then calling it a day. You know what though? A few weeks before that, I was entirely paralyzed from a stroke. I literally could not move my arms or legs. Those 3 or 5 minutes were as hard then as squatting 135 is for me now. Probably harder, actually.

Let's not judge those when we don't know their story.

perspective..........
    i like.........
    i could only do 3 mins on an eliptical before literally dying due to being so unfit - again i am the killer who hits back to back spin classes, HIIT on elipticals and ZUMBA!! i like to think in the newbie intake there may be people who genuinely want to change the direction of their lives

These! I started off at the end of January and I was a HOT MESS! It took awhile.. I walked 4 5ks each this year, finished the Warrior Dash, plus I am recovering from a traumatic total achilles tendon rupture... I feel somewhat like a newbie again. DOnt judge. I walked in the first time being overweight and with MS, but I was full of hope,desire, and determination... Dont pop someone's bubble bc youre too consumed with others doing it right or busting their butt the way you think they should.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I know. I have been basking in the emptiness of my gym for the past couple of months. There's hardly anyone here in the fall. Soon it will be super crowded and there will be wait times. I hate that. At least they always go away after a few months. (I'd be cool with it if people were serious about getting fit, but year after year it's just a wave of wannabe new year's resolutions crashing through and fading out. I think it's disruptive.) :grumble:

P.S. I love gym newbies. I see them all the time and I notice their progress when they stick with it! Good for them. I'm just annoyed by the half-assed ones that just clog up the gym and then quit when they haven't reached their goals in the first month or so. I don't care what they do personally, I just don't like that it affects my workout because the gym oversells so many memberships that there's a freaking line to workout! :explode:
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    lol... in my gym we call them visitors...
    They'll come in right after the new year; they'll all be gone by Superbowl Tuesday.
    More regulars come back Memorial day because they want to go to the beach and stop a few weeks later...

It's extremely rare, but when a visitor turns into a regular we (the old regulars) get happy and are very supportive!
    Too bad it doesn't happen more often.
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I be one of those noobs...sorry that I offend you so much in my desire to get fit. Sorry that I didn't time it better...had no choice really, I got the bad news from the doc in late October and that's where I am...sorry I can't just wait until some other time that would be more convenient for your dumb *kitten*. I shouldn't be too much in your way though...I'll be there at 5:30AM.

:flowerforyou:
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I also agree that everyone has to start sometime... I just choose to start before January 1st :)
    BUT
    the stats really do show that the initial 'rush' of people don't make it past a couple months. We regualrs at the gym can see this clearly by March or April.

I am all for everyone reaching their goals, but I do hate people texting on the machines and tieing them up doing nothing.

Our gym has before/after pics of people posted around it. Noone that works out at my gym. I have actually contacted the gym about getting ones up of people in MY GYM! I think it would be super motivating for people to see the success the people in their actual gym have made. When someone sees me, they can also see how far I have come and that is quite motivating.. well it is for me anyways!!!
This discussion has been closed.