Dark Chocolate...

Options
I started with 70% + a long time ago, and worked up to 85% (I settled on Lindt). I recently bought a bar of 90%, but the consistency went from a still creamy-esk texture to a waxy texture. It doesn't taste "bad" but it does not have the enjoyment factor. I could not, on first try, handle the 85%. I actually threw a few bars away after my first shy plunge at it. I love it now, though. What is your dark chocolate experience? If you do eat 90% + chocolate, how long did it take for you to acquire the taste? Do you enjoy the flavor now? Also, those that do 85%, what is the chocolate experience for you?

Replies

• rejordan
    rejordan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I went straight for the 90% Lindt my first shot. It tasted like eating Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa Powder. Harsh! Took me a minute, and on about the third try, it started to remind me of black coffee. I like black coffee. The texture was lacking a melt-in-your-mouth quality that all chocolate is SUPPOSED to have!You have to chew it. That's ok too. I didnt have the normal coughing spell I get when I eat other types of chocolate (some idiot dr said I was allergic-that quack:laugh: ) so that was a plus. I appreciated how people can say that all they have to have is just one square a day and feel satisfied. Hell, that's all I'd want to eat too! I do like it-just in not as much as I like a kitkat-lets say.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    hehehehehe I love the 85% I actually remember the day that it switched from, "Eh, this is decent." To, "Damn, that really tastes great right now!" I am not sure if I can get there with the 90. I will try it again in a month or so. And then again after that. If it gets to the, "Eh, this is decent," phase, I will switch permanently. The more pure the chocolate, the more fat. So, I reckon it is good to have with your B-complex, as many of the B's are fat soluble.
  • melmckay99
    Options
    I started having the 85% dark lindt chocolate with my coffee... not like in my coffee, but just eating it at the same time as I sip on my coffee. It is my new favorite indulgence! I haven't tried anything higher than 85% yet though.....
  • bonifachi
    bonifachi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love a good dark chocolate. LIndt is great, and I love those little Lindt dark chocolate truffles. My all time favourite dark chocolate is either a raw chocolate, or Whittakers dark ghana. So so yummy. I have to say though, I love ferrero rochers, but HATE the noir ones.
  • BBehnke84
    BBehnke84 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Love all things Dark chocolate, always have. Lindt 90% is to die for :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Prefer 70%, 90% is too harsh for me. One or two squares of 90% added when cooking a chilli is heaven though.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    I actually like bitter food so I do enjoy dark chocolate. I have tried 90% Lindt dark chocolate and it was nice.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    66c5ub.jpg

Someone needs to try this and report back :happy:
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like the 90%, though would agree it doesn't have that 'melt in your mouth' quality that other chocolates have. The comparison to black coffee is an apt one.

One thing you could try is melting it, mixing it with coconut oil and nut butter and popping it in the freezer for 20 minutes to make a creamy bark.

I keep chocolate in the freezer anyway, which is psychological more that anything else - if I have to go into the freezer for it, it feels like more of a treat (If I kept it in the tea and coffee cupboard I'd nibble on it all day.) And it's a bit harder to eat, therefore slower.

I also like to have one or two squares with a teaspoon of peanut butter on each. I find it ridiculously easy to overeat chocolate, but difficult to overeat peanut butter.

ETA: I haven't tried the 99% one, but my friend did the other day and she said it was very dry and crumbly.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    66c5ub.jpg

Someone needs to try this and report back :happy:

I eat baker's chocolate (100%) and it's delicious. Then again, I'm a lunatic :D
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I tried a....95%, I think it was. But only once. It was wayyyyy too bitter for me so I sent it on to a friend to try. I do tend to like dark chocolate, so I was pretty disappointed. This thread gives me hope though :)
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I tried some "endangered species" brand that was 88% and after 1 piece I threw it away. I couldn't eat it because it was too harsh for me. I might try a lower % though.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    I don't mind dark chocolate as long as it isn't above 70%, but I looooove creamy milk chocolate, so that explains it a little. I rarely eat milk chocolate, though and will usually go for dark if I am craving chocolate because I don't need much of it (usually just one or two squares off the bar) to get my chocolate fix.

I really enjoy Chocolove's dark chocolate bars - the orange peel in dark chocolate is pretty amazing and has a wonderful texture to it. They also have a dark chocolate with sea salt and almonds. Yum.
  • TwistedFun
    Options
    i take 60% for now, but its a bit sweeter than i thought so i am gonna try 70% see how it goes
  • Topher1978
    Options
    That is exactly what I do! And the great thing is that it is so good for you! It is a superfood!!
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I like the 90%, though would agree it doesn't have that 'melt in your mouth' quality that other chocolates have. The comparison to black coffee is an apt one.

One thing you could try is melting it, mixing it with coconut oil and nut butter and popping it in the freezer for 20 minutes to make a creamy bark.

I keep chocolate in the freezer anyway, which is psychological more that anything else - if I have to go into the freezer for it, it feels like more of a treat (If I kept it in the tea and coffee cupboard I'd nibble on it all day.) And it's a bit harder to eat, therefore slower.

I also like to have one or two squares with a teaspoon of peanut butter on each. I find it ridiculously easy to overeat chocolate, but difficult to overeat peanut butter.

ETA: I haven't tried the 99% one, but my friend did the other day and she said it was very dry and crumbly.
    I also keep my chocolate frozen. I like it better that way. Not sure why...
  • Marina_Love
    Options
    I like 75% chocolate though I mainly dig into milk chocolate
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I tried some "endangered species" brand that was 88% and after 1 piece I threw it away. I couldn't eat it because it was too harsh for me. I might try a lower % though.
    Yes, that brand is nasty. I have tried several of their varieties, and have not enjoyed a single one. When it was more accessible to me, I used to eat Degoba chocolate. That is what got me hooked on dark chocolate years ago. Love the chili pepper and cacao nib bars!!! Lindt tastes the creamiest to me in the purer forms than other dark chocolates. I am in a small town now, and have a very limited choice in such things.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    i take 60% for now, but its a bit sweeter than i thought so i am gonna try 70% see how it goes
    I think you will like it. 70% is still quite sweet. I tend toward bittersweet though. Blackstrap molasses, black coffee, India Pale Ale, etc...
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

I also keep my chocolate frozen. I like it better that way. Not sure why...
    ditto on this one... frozen is awesome, I break off a square and I'm set for quite awhile. I place it on my tongue and let it slowly melt.

seansquared- I'm smiling at your 99% lunacy comment...

I think I'm set at 85% ... though I'd be willing to try 90% but not willing to pay for a bar and have it too harsh.

Someone mentioned PB... that could make some of the darker less harsh for those of you that bought them and didn't care for it plain.

Raw ... I've yet to try it but heard nothing but good... looking forward to it. I LOVE raw cacao beans - they remind me of a coffee/choc combo... with a lil crunch.

Enjoying this thread, great to see so much variety and learn about new bars. I steer clear of milk choc if I can because I can't seem to eat only one square a time... more like a bag:blushing:

So a dark chocolate square for me on occasion is a nice indulgence:love:

Yea, I also love the chili pepper ones too, a spicy bite to the choc is a nice touch!

Topher1978
    Check the web and see about the prices on there to order online, sometimes it's far less costly then the stores and often offers free shipping... I imagine it is tough to find decent chocolate in a small town.