how much weight to lose in a week?

Options
General question for anyone....Do you think its better to put in a goal of 2lbs a week or do the 1lbs that they recommend? I know I have only been trying to lose weight on here for 9 days and so far I have lost 3lbs :-)...better than nothing by doing 2lbs. Ofcourse there is the middle of the road and you could do 1 1/2.

Replies

• PinguimPraiero
    PinguimPraiero Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Better to make a goal of only 1 lb per week.

Here is my idea as to why: humans are hard-wired to survive in times of famine, when necessary. Our metabolism can speed up and slow down to assist in that self-preservation. If you lose too fast, you may jinx your metabolism into slowing down as your body *senses* that you are facing a potential famine. In time, you will have a harder time losing and may gain, even while eating the same diet. Lose slow to avoid the yo-yo.
  • lmross62
    Options
    3lbs in 9 days is really good. My trainer, at the local YMCA, told me to lose 1 -2 lbs a week. Loseing this amount of weight will usually prevent sagging skin after losing it. Keep up the good work.
  • KariM
    KariM Posts: 53
    Options
    I agree with 1 lb -- it gives you some room to error on both sides. If you eat too few calories you will not lose and make it harder on yourself and if you over eat a bit a day or so you will still be OK. Keep up the good work!
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I aim to lose between 1-2 pounds a week. Sometimes I maintain and sometimes I lose more but my average over time is about 1 pound a week. Just so long as its coming off!
  • dmmfan2
    Options
    I had done weight watchers 5 yrs ago and I lost 40lbs and since then have put it all back on! I have since been trying to do WW again since I know it had worked for me but I can't seem to get into the swing of it. My friend showed me this sight and I thought why not give it a shot ....what do I have to lose! I was just wondering what everyone else is doing per week!:happy:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I had it set at 2 per week for a while, but I noticed two problems: one, I felt like with every passing week, I was getting hungrier, and two, the hungrier I got, the less weight I lost. I took it down to 1 and I haven't had those problems. I'd rather be the tortoise and lose the weight slowly, than be the hare, and miss the goal. But everyone's body is different. Try 2, and see how you feel. You can always change your goals at any time.
  • feeny
    feeny Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    my first 2 weeks here i did 2.5lb per week (even though it was right around my TOM) my 3rd week i lost 7.5lb! I am very overweight though (trying to lose 150lbs) so I'm going to be losing bigger numbers than a lot of ppl here. I have my goals set at 2lb/week though.