Asthmatics

Options
Hey asthmatics, I am wondering how you guys stay fit with your asthma. Sometimes I can do a full workout, others I last 15 minutes before feeling like I'm going to die, literally. I need to get my weight off to be able to be healthier, not only with asthma but also with the threat of heart issues and diabetes that ate in my family. HELP!

Replies

• Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I have very mild asthma. I have a puff inhaler but I hardly ever need it. Sorry, this probably not helpful, because my asthma is unaffected by exercise unlike yours. My trigger is a cold or respiratory infection. I would say I have an asthma episode may 3 times a year and ALWAYS with a cold. Sometimes certain mangoes will trigger a slight wheezing. I never figured out why. I'm not allergic to mangoes either. Weird.

I now live in a very warm climate. It's perfect for my asthma. I find colder climates aren't as great. I don't know if you're exercising outdoors this type of the year, but perhaps you should try working out in a warm environment so no ice-skating or skiing, and don't do exercises that require a lot of exertion like running.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a respirologist? Do you know what your triggers are? Do you take a daily (once or twice daily depending on the med) preventive puffer? What kind/intensity of exercise are you trying to do? Are you in an urban centre or rural? Do you eat a lot of dairy? Mushrooms? Do you have a cat? Lots of things to consider. I would start with seeing a respirologist if you haven't already. They will have the most up to date information-a lot of family physicians are still under the old style of thinking that treating flare ups was the important thing with asthma, but actually preventing flareups and attacks should be the focus because it decreases the number of flare ups and also because it decreases the scarring and other damage done to your lungs from the swelling etc. that asthma causes. The respirologist should be able to help you formulate a plan to get more active and also teach you how to monitor your asthma (using a peak flow meter and stuff).

Edited to add: use your salbutamol or whatever your "rescue" puffer is prior to working out to open your airways and decrease the likelihood of an attack during. Also, if you take your preventer and rescue daily, take the rescue first as it will make inhalation/absorption of the preventer much more effective. And if you don't have an aerochamber or other device I would get one of those too, majorly increases absorption.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I just do it. I have EIA...I was diagnosed ooh 3 or 4 years ago, they put me on two types of inhaler. They made me feel way worse and my immune system dived at the end of 2010. I vowed never to use them again. I still get breathing problems, my left lung in particular really hurts sometimes. I just breathe deeply and keep going. I think the higher in weight you are/tend to be, the worse asthma can be in my experience. I can run faster and further than when I was using the inhalers before. Maybe I am lucky, or maybe pushing through the discomfort has taught me that I am not going to die or even pass out. Or maybe what they thought was asthma was another temporary lung condition...I don't know...
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Actually, asthma CAN kill you, I'm not sure about US or global statistics but in Canada asthma is responsible for 7-10 deaths/week. There are a lot of ways to get asthma under control though. Best thing to do is see a respirologist.
    I just do it. I have EIA...I was diagnosed ooh 3 or 4 years ago, they put me on two types of inhaler. They made me feel way worse and my immune system dived at the end of 2010. I vowed never to use them again. I still get breathing problems, my left lung in particular really hurts sometimes. I just breathe deeply and keep going. I think the higher in weight you are/tend to be, the worse asthma can be in my experience. I can run faster and further than when I was using the inhalers before. Maybe I am lucky, or maybe pushing through the discomfort has taught me that I am not going to die or even pass out. Or maybe what they thought was asthma was another temporary lung condition...I don't know...
  • Susanthecatwhisperer
    Options
    I was diagnosed with "intrinsic asthma". There are no allergic or exercise triggers. I don't get typical asthma attacks, but will rarely have a day with issues. However, if I get a cold, I'll cough for weeks or months!!! That being said, I've NEVER been into cardiovascular exercises. I enjoy walking (outside in nice weather). In the past, I've enjoyed Pilates and Yoga classes, but don't take classes now. I was spoiled by really good instructors, and just need to find that again. :) To me exercise should make you work, yet give you a little pleasure or satisfaction as well. :wink:
  • DownloadDiva
    Options
    I've had asthma all my life and used it as an excuse in school to get out of certain things like running but with what I know now I wish my school didn't allow me to do that but encourage me to do as much as possible. I have grown out of asthma so to speak but I do have EIA and was given a few inhalers to help (my asthma is relatively mild though). The thing I find that works best is to do exercise (I know that seems odd but it works). I know I can push myself to a certain point and when I feel like the asthma is going to start I ease off until my breathing is under control again and then push again. I find by doing this my asthma stays under control and I make good progress. It has to be said running is one of the worst exercises to trigger asthma so you could try cycling or swimming but I was determined to run as I wasn't a runner. Unless forbidden by doctors there is no reason not to exercise with asthma.
  • ruckerbenton
    Options
    I am a life-long asthma sufferer as well. I had settled for life with wheezing upon deep inhalation, during exercise, housework or other physical activity. I used to use my rescue inhaler to reduce the wheeze and take care of the symptom and for immediate relief. I was referred to a pulmonologist by my allergist. He said that what I thought was normal was actually severe asthma. He started me on the maintenance med Advair. I no longer have any wheeze and rarely use a rescue inhaler. No more mini-nebs either.

I would recommend a puff of your rescue inhaler prior to exercise. Remember rescue inhalers increase your pulse and blood pressure and can make you feel jittery. Next, as is the common thread of the responses, see your doctor to assure that you are receiving sound medical advise and comprehensive care for your breathing. Breathing is pretty damned important!
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have asthma both induced by exercise and by allergies. Get your inhaler with you at all times, and get your alergies tested and treatment to common allergies. I had to take allergy shots (immuno-therapy they call it here) for over 3 years, because i was under the influence of too many common triggers.
    Also, don't overexercise if you feel you're asthma attack is coming. Slow down and always pay attention to your body.
    Your fitness will improve and you'll be able to exercise more and more with no attacks but that only comes with time and slow progress.
    Also, unless you want to train for a marathon don't overdo the cardio. Try low impact cardio, like the elliptical machine. It helps you burn calories and it's not too demanding.

Ask your doctor if it's possible to get a breathing test and if it would be good for you to always use the rescue inhaler before exercising. Mine for example, has to only be used when it's absolutely necessary. The drugs in it interfere with other medication and it can cause other health issues.