Running

Options
2»

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss and running! You've got this. :)
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Congratulations--I hope this is the start of an amazing running adventure for you! Savor every victory mile as another victory.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Last night I ran a mile and a half (20 minutes) and did not stop or slow down!

Is it even possible to go any slower?

I'm kidding....I'm kidding. Nice work!

I walk @ 2 MPH. I like it.

Also, being funny isn't for everyone. Sorry you had to find out this way
  • sarahmaren
    Options
    Awesome work! When I started in February I was doing 30 minute miles walking and feeling like I was going to die. Today I ran 8 miles in 103 minutes. I am running my first half in January and am HELL BENT on under 3 hours. Make a goal, small or big and then do what it takes to achieve it. Whatever you do, just keep going... one day your legs will catch up with your brain. You can TOTALLY do this.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It's a great feeling, isn't it? Are you doing the Couch to 5K training program or just winging it on your own? I started Couch to 5K in June (WHAT was I thinking starting in JUNE? LOL) and completed all the weeks. I remember having that first 20 minute run looming ahead of me when my longest segment to date had been 8 minutes. I didn't think I was going to be able to do it, and I was SO THRILLED when I actually did! On most of those "long" (at the time) runs, I remember thinking, "I just can't do this. I'm not enjoying running anyway, so why bother. I'll finish this run and it will be my last." Then within 5 minutes of finishing, I was already planning my next run. Fast forward to now, I run 4 miles at a time with ease, and my time is slowly getting better. When I first hit 3 miles, I wasn't even averaging 12 min/miles. Today I completed a 4 mile run in 44:25. I realize that is still slow by most people's standards (used to be by mine too LOL), but I felt great about it! :-)

This is an awesome reply. I'm in week four of c25k and it's hard but I am determined to finish!
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Yay seeing real improvement is so nice, right?!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I've just got into running too. I went from a few steps here and there, to .8 miles to work each day, to 5K. I like that there's so many ways to improve in running (speed, distance, gradient, terrain) and no need to compete with anyone but yourself :flowerforyou:
  • domnut
    domnut Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    awesome work :) an inspiration to those of us who are want to get into running!
  • SugarBoomBoom
    Options
    As a new runner myself, I would just like to say congratulations to you!
  • Jerrawuff
    Options
    I started couch to 5 k a week or so ago after doing my own thing for a month or so and then I just got a burst of motivation and did a mile and a half and have done at least a mile the last three days! It is fantastic and my legs feel it but I absolutely love it and think I may have found my workout key to success!!!
  • Jerrawuff
    Options
    Last night I ran a mile and a half (20 minutes) and did not stop or slow down!

Is it even possible to go any slower?

I'm kidding....I'm kidding. Nice work!

WTF?! Why would you say something like that to downgrade her accomplishment?!

OP- That's fantastic! One of the biggest mistakes new runners make is by trying to go too fast. Going at a comfortable speed for you will help you build a base of endurance, and you can always speed up later on if you want to! You're doing it the absolute right way to avoid injury and be successful. More people would end up as runners if they started like you have. Don't start pushing your speed too hard because some internet A-hole made a stupid comment- you're doing it right as is. Well Done!!!

Cheers to the endless list of running victories you have in the future!!! :drinker:

Thanks for this I honestly got dicouraged when I read that and almost deleted my post... Im glad I didnt now and thanks again so much. I may not be fast yet but for a girl like me its something I am very proud of!
  • Jerrawuff
    Options
    Also thanks EVERYONE for the kind words! I love this site and the wonderful people I have to confide in andthe ones who do understand what a journey we are all on! good luck to you all and thank so much!
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I've recently started running also....addicting!!
  • nursemarie162
    Options
    thats an incredible achievment!! great job!! how did you get into running? i have heard such great things but i personally have such a hard time with running that i get discouraged and give up : ( any tips to help me catch the running bug as well?
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    awesome!! I run about as fast as you do and you should feel fabulous for achieving this goal!!! :) great job!
  • jrtcw
    jrtcw Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    thats an incredible achievment!! great job!! how did you get into running? i have heard such great things but i personally have such a hard time with running that i get discouraged and give up : ( any tips to help me catch the running bug as well?
    C25 K is great. I used to loathe running but am actually starting to like it. On week 8 of C25 k now and running for 28 minutes.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!