Grass fed organic beef vs. regular beef?

Options
13»

Replies

• GoffGirl1029
    GoffGirl1029 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My grandfather raises a steer every year and has it butchered in October. I personally prefer the homegrown beef, I think it tastes so much better and I don't have to worry about what strange things might be in the meat. My husband had never had homegrown beef until he met me, but he now prefers it over store bought.
  • MikeBenWilliams
    Options
    www.grasslandbeef.com

I buy all my beef from this website and it's amazing. You won't regret it!!
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    An alternative if you have a deep freezer is to contact a local 4-H or FFA and find out how the beef/pork/chicken/lamb in your area is raised. you should be able to find what you are looking for at a really good price. If you can find a couple of friends to go in with you and buy a 1/4 of the animal you can get a really great price. We bought a 1/2 pig for about $2.50/lb plus another .68/lb for the butcher. We went to the farm and saw exactly how the animal was treated and where he was raised. I supported a local kid in the deal as well.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    unless you are going to eat everything organic -- there really isn't much of a point. ALL vegetables / fruit are loaded with chemicals that are known to cause cancer.
    See those cool designs in the sky? Those are chemtrails and unless I'm mistaken the organic grass fed cows are out in pastures where the chemicals those trails come from are landing.

In a perfect world we would all still be eating stuff that wasn't filled with chemicals or genetically modified (suck it monsanto)..but we don't. So it is what it is.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Personally, I go with grain. IF I could afford the grass-fed them I would consider it. But seeing how it is almost $10 a pound for ground grass-fed beef, vs $4.00 a pound for grain, I think I will stick with the grain-fed. While I want to get healthy, I don't want to end up on the streets broke because of it.
  • vizsla99
    vizsla99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    There is a pretty big difference between regular beef and grass fed beef. The person that mentioned the Omega differences is correct.

Not all cattle will thrive as grass fed though. Devon cattle are the most successful type of cattle currently being used in grass fed beef operations. Most purebred Devon's have never been put on grain diets and they are truly different. I'm sure other types of beef can be raised as grass fed only, but I'm most knowledgable about Devon cattle. Another unique thing about Devon's is that most Devon farmers don't use any vaccinations or other drug treatments on them like traditional cattle farming.

While I don't consider myself an "expert" on this topic, I did grow up on a working cattle ranch that followed traditional methods of raising beef and my current employer is running a large herd of Devon's here in the United States. I've been around both practices of raising beef. Also, be aware that grass fed is not necessarily organic. Also, the USDA can certify beef finished in feedlots as "Natural".

Personally, I don't like the taste of grass fed as well as grain fed.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    If we're talking taste, then grain fed for me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vizsla99
    vizsla99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If we're talking taste, then grain fed for me.

BOOM!