Choosing a personal trainer?

Options
Hi all,
Iv done well by myself but I am thinking of working with a personal trainer in the new year.
My gym has personal trainers and I have found a few myself. The individual trainers offer a free session and consultation.
Can I take each one up on their free session and evaluate after which one I think would be best for me?

Is that done?

Thanks
Vicky

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Iv done well by myself but I am thinking of working with a personal trainer in the new year.
    My gym has personal trainers and I have found a few myself. The individual trainers offer a free session and consultation.
    Can I take each one up on their free session and evaluate after which one I think would be best for me?

Is that done?

Thanks
    Vicky
    Yep. Your money so you should pay for what you want. But IMO, some people pick the easiest trainer because then they don't have to work that hard. Had a lady want to hire me one time and stated there are certain exercises she wouldn't do (not that she couldn't, but she wouldn't). Told her that I'm probably not the trainer for her then because I would ensure that those exercises were done.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I need someone who will understand that due to a jaw problem and the pain caused that some days exercise is the last thing on my mind but that on every other day will push and support me as I love the ache's and sense of accomplishment from something new.

Is that possible?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I need someone who will understand that due to a jaw problem and the pain caused that some days exercise is the last thing on my mind but that on every other day will push and support me as I love the ache's and sense of accomplishment from something new.

Is that possible?
    People have instances where they can't always give you 100%. That's a given. Most trainers should understand that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I think it is possible to find a trainer who can work with your limitations. IMO a good trainer will ask questions and understand the difference between needing to skip exercise due to severe pain, and someone who just needs a little motivation.

There is one trainer who usually works during the time I am at the gym. I have been kinda spying on his training sessions for the last 6 months or so, especially the ones he does with women. That ,paired with the discussions I have had with him in passing, make me pretty confident that he would be a good fit for me. As soon as I have the cash, I'm going to hire him for a few sessions!