subtract calories you were gonna burn neway?

Options
Just finished a workout with my heart rate monitor....wondering if you should subtract for calories you wouldve burned in that time span regardless? please someone post a scientific reason why you DONT have to ;[ lol

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I can't say they all work this way, but Polar does include your BMR so technically you should subtract it from your reading.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have never subtracted anything from the burn my HRM gives me, and I've lost weight, fat & inches off my frame. That's all the science I got for ya. :bigsmile:
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Science: your body continues to burn at a higher rate than typical for some time after you exercise, so that additional burn (that you aren't tracking on your HRM) offsets the calories that you would have expended anyway but your HRM records during your workout. I cannot give you a citation because I learned this rationale from the School of MFP. :drinker:
  • ebonyb202
    ebonyb202 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Science: your body continues to burn at a higher rate than typical for some time after you exercise, so that additional burn (that you aren't tracking on your HRM) offsets the calories that you would have expended anyway but your HRM records during your workout. I cannot give you a citation because I learned this rationale from the School of MFP. :drinker:

I'm gonna choose to believe this and see what happens :D
  • ebonyb202
    ebonyb202 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have never subtracted anything from the burn my HRM gives me, and I've lost weight, fat & inches off my frame. That's all the science I got for ya. :bigsmile:

This will do lol
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My brain hurts, thinking about trying to calculate all this...

Rob thinks to himself: "Let's see...IF I had walked instead of run during that time, then I need to subtract X calories...but that number sorta depends on how fast I would have walked if I HAD walked (which I didn't)....but if I'm honest with myself, I'm so lazy I probably woulda just sat on the couch during that time, so that would be Y calories...and let's see, how many calories am I burning as I sit here trying to do this math..."

:sad:

*big grin

Yah, I think everybody's right -- you can lose weight without fretting over individual (conjectural, especially) calories. :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I can't say they all work this way, but Polar does include your BMR so technically you should subtract it from your reading.

Polar does not deduct your BMR, information directly from contact with Polar asking that question. They don't put an algorithm in for that.