Glucosamine

Options
Does anyone take any joint supplements like glucosamine and chonfrotin? Have they worked with joint pain?

Replies

• carp68
    carp68 Posts: 42
    Options
    I haven't personally, but I have a friend who swears by it.
  • leenah33
    leenah33 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started a glucosamine condroitin msm supplement yesterday at the recommendation of my running coach. Too early to tell if it will help with my joint pain, but everyone who I know that uses them also swears by them. I have high hopes, and will be interested to see what others have to say.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It actually does help. I take them as well because I'm gettin older and I started running. Wanna be ahead of the game. The physical therapist I work with reccommends them to patients as well.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    My only caution would be to make sure you are not self-prescribing a supplement in lieu of diagnosing and treating the actual problem. The vast majority of exercisers I have seen with "joint pain" experienced pain not because of arthritic changes in the joint, but because of inflexibility, muscle weakness, muscle imbalance, uncorrected gait issues, etc.
  • luv2run4fun
    Options
    Been using a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM with Hyaluronic Acid (helps with the absorption) for over a year now--I am a runner and this has been the best thing I have done for my joints! Used to have occasional knee pain/hip pain and not any more. I believe the stuff helps alot!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    It has worked on my dog. Not that this means much but I"m pretty sure that Mrs. Fig isn't under the placebo affect :) We give her this to help with her knee pain. Her ability to go up and down steps is visibly improved when she's on it.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I started taking glucosamine + chondroitin recently, but it's too soon to tell if there has been a vast improvement. I don't have knee pain (or at least, just a little) but my main problem is my elbows and wrists. I am hoping it gets much better!
  • dkcj4fox
    Options
    Been using a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM with Hyaluronic Acid (helps with the absorption) for over a year now--I am a runner and this has been the best thing I have done for my joints! Used to have occasional knee pain/hip pain and not any more. I believe the stuff helps alot!

I also use a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM with Hyaluronic Acid joint supplement!

Fish Oil can also help with joints. (+ it has many other benefits)

For those suffering from some tendinitis I suggest Cissus.
    It is the best thing I've ever taken to help with my golfers elbow!
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My only caution would be to make sure you are not self-prescribing a supplement in lieu of diagnosing and treating the actual problem. The vast majority of exercisers I have seen with "joint pain" experienced pain not because of arthritic changes in the joint, but because of inflexibility, muscle weakness, muscle imbalance, uncorrected gait issues, etc.

I agree! As a physical therapist I get asked this question frequently and I prefer to address the above issues first. There really isn't any true research that supports the claim that it alleviates joint pain, the results are all anectodal and the supplement seems to help about 50% of the people who take it. It does take a while to feel any benefit, anywhere from 3-6 months, so if you do take it, have patience. And if you are diabetic, then you should not take it at all.
  • lpeavy
    lpeavy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Anyone gotten sick from the pills? I was taking it and then I started vomiting after taking it at times. Felt fine after though. I've started back today taking them. I'm thinking I wasn't eating enough when I took the pill. I've done fine with the one I took at lunch. We'll see if I can keep them down.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Nope, never been sick from them.
  • Scoobees
    Scoobees Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've taken the supplements on and off but have never noticed any benefits - I have OA of the knees. But of course, it could be because I never took them consistently enough. My orthopedic doc said not to even bother taking them - who to believe? :ohwell:
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Anyone gotten sick from the pills? I was taking it and then I started vomiting after taking it at times. Felt fine after though. I've started back today taking them. I'm thinking I wasn't eating enough when I took the pill. I've done fine with the one I took at lunch. We'll see if I can keep them down.

One particular brand made me quite ill. I researched and found another that was nearly as good that did not make me ill. That said, I make sure to take them with a meal at all times anyway.
  • anotheryrolder
    Options
    Works wonders for me. I have been taking it for nearly 30 years. First I took the pills, now liquid with MSM and chondroitin. The liquid is absorbed better as you age. I'm almost 60. Doc wanted to put me on Vioxx - I found this instead.

I had BAD carpal tunnel and arthritic knees. No more wrist pain, no more wrist braces and knees are much much better. Not much info on it back then, except for vet usage. I was lucky to find it back in the "stone ages". I swear by the stuff! It's given me a normal life. I couldn't do buttons or zippers without pain before I started it. For me it took 4 to 6 weeks constant use before it did me mich good. I also take more of it than is recommended on the bottle, but that's just me.
  • marjaskow
    Options
    I've been taking it for awhile for my knees. When I first had pain I was given the anti inflamatory naproxin for the pain and retained water like crazy from it. Gained 4 pounds the first week! After a month or so I couldn't take it anymore. Went off & lost 3 the first week. Dr recommended the Glocosamine Cond. I took it for awhile & wasn't sure it was working so got lazy about taking it. I don't like taking anything if I don't have to. Thats when I realized it really was helping. It isn't a cure, but supposedly helps to cushion and slow down the progression of the problem we already have.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    anotheryrolder, which liquid do you take? I've used the pills and am not sure they are working but the reviews for the liquids I've seen suggest that it is not as effective as the pills. That said, if people say it is, I might be willing to switch. I do a lot of ballet and training and my joints just hurt all the time.
  • anotheryrolder
    Options
    Hi Slieber,

I use either Wellesse brand or Drinkables. Drinkables has a berry flavor that I have purchased in the past, but it has a nasty strong flavor. I used it anyway and then ate a cracker or washed it down with something. Drinkables now has a natural citrus flavor that is much better. None of them taste good but the citrus is way less nasty.

I get mine at Sam's Club, but I'm sure they are readily available elsewhere. I have been able to get by with the recommended dosage most of the time. If I get to feeling too achy, I up the dose and it takes care of the problem. Yesterday I did too much yard work and an extra dose seemed to help.

Scoobees - I think you hit on the reason it may have not worked for you. Try it again consistently for a month and see what you think.

Your doc may be right in your case, but you'll never know unless you try. I do know that some doctors don't give much credit to solutions that don't involve a prescription. I've met a few.
  • Scoobees
    Scoobees Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    anotheryrolder - Thanks, and I will give it another try. I've tried the one liquid brand you mentioned by Wellesse - even Wal-Mart had it for pretty cheap. I've got some pills left from the last time I tried (Flex-a-min with MSM & hyaluronic acid) and will use them once again and maybe switch back to the liquid - I hate the pills lol. You could be right, my doc may not be giving me the thumbs up on this since it's not a Rx...Hmmm, maybe he's hoping for another knee replacement candidate? :frown: Hope not - he's such a nice guy!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I give it to my horse, and wouldn't dream of having him go without it. I take it myself, and since I have started running again I have been pretty religious about taking it. It is expensive, but I know it helps. I take one which also contains MSM as it has an anti-inflamatory effect. I know it isn't a cure all or a substitute for proper fitness and stretching, but as we get older, I think it helps to slow the damage we do every day to our bodies by wear and tear. I started giving it to my horse when he turned 10 years old even though he wasn't showing signs of joint pain, in the hopes of prolonging his pain free useful life.

Like someone else said, I know it works for me, because when I stop taking it, I notice it.