Question about taking measurements...

Options
This may be silly but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to take my measurements.

1. Where do I measure for my waist? Some sites say a half inch above the belly button, others say the smallest part and the Dr. OZ show tells you to suck in and measure at the belly button. What does everyone do?

2. Also, I know the site tracks 3 areas for measurements but I want to track more at home. What areas am I most likely to see change?

3. How often should I take my measurements?

I know these seem like obvious things to know but I really want to stick with this program and want to do it the right way! Any suggestions you can offer will be great appreciated!!!

Replies

• jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Well your hip to waste ratio can be important because its a better indicator of health than BMI so I would keep measuring at least your waist for sure. I don't suck in but I breathe all the way out, stand straight and strong, and measure at my smallest point.

Track whatever will make you feel great - I wish I had been tracking my thighs (thickest point) and upper arms. I would love to know the change I've made.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused at why they would tell you to first suck in and then take your measurements? That doesn't make sense to me. I personally take measurements at my neck (center of my neck), shoulders (all the way around yourself), bicep (largest part), chest (largest part), waist (1 inch above my belly button), abdomen (1 inche below the belly button), hips (largest area of the rear), thigh (as high as I can go), calves (while sitting, the largest part)..... yes I take a lot of them lol. I do this 1 - 2 times a month.

The key is to always measure in the same area, different things work for different people. there is also a way where MFP has the original three to add more, all the the places I take measurements are in my check-in area of MFP. If you google for diagrams for taking measurements that may help if you need a visual. That's what I did however I don't remember the site, sorry!

I've noticed my neck actually has lost quite a bit, my waist being the most however, followed by my hips.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Measurements for the hip are generally taken at the top of your hip bone. For waist, I do around teh belly button. I've thought about adding measurements for my thighs because those are the other part I'm trying to get weight off of lol.