anyones taste buds changed??

Mine definitely have. Michelle bridges, biggest loser trainer said cut sugar and salt out of your diet and you will taste fresh foods again. Ive followed her advice. I tried a pesto sauce i loved before mfp. It was way too salty for me. And now fruit is super sweet. I can even taste eggs better!! Weird but true. I much prefer to entertain at home than eat at restaurants, and i used to love restaurants only 4 months ago.

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    We had a lot of sugar in our office foods yesterday.... I had some out of social committment and actually felt bad afterward... I came home and laid down then went to the gym and had a really good day.. Was down .6 lbs today... But I hated the feeling after consuming that kind of sugar...
  • autumnwater
    autumnwater Posts: 449 Member
    When I lived in China, after a while American desserts became too sweet for me. But now I'm getting addicted to them again. :/
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Totally! I use to hate broccoli and now I love it. Same with asparagus. I no longer crave sweets I crave protein. I still love restaurants though, it's nice to have someone else clean up the mess!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Totally! I use to hate broccoli and now I love it. Same with asparagus. I no longer crave sweets I crave protein. I still love restaurants though, it's nice to have someone else clean up the mess!

Yes to broccoli! I use to hate it with a passion. Now I rather enjoy it, same with a lot of veggies.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Agreed, I notice this, too. It helps makes the food you are eating more satisfying as well.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Definitly. The more I incorporate fresh food in my diet, and the more I eat that isn't breaded and fried, the more I taste and appreciate my food. And feel fuller faster!
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    My taste buds totally changed. I used to hate so many foods. A year ago today, and there'd be no way a piece of lettuce would come across my plate. Let alone a SALAD. "It tastes like GREEN!" I used to protest.

Now? I love salads! I eat a lot of other things too now that I'm not spoiling my taste buds with all that sugar. I found that I really, really have a weakness for macadamia nuts and other nuts. When I want a snack now, I'll definitely go for the healthier options I'd totally have scorned a year ago.

For me, this is a blessing, for cutting out all that sugar, learning to eat better - it's *opened* up a world of food that I never knew was there nor gave a chance. Heck, I had some SWEET POTATOES. And they were awesome but they were also sweet enough that I only had a few bites before I was done.

The old me never would have even tried them.

Now, some of my foods I didn't like, I still hate (tomatoes... onions... gross!), but I definitely have found that the world of food is no longer as narrow as it used to be. Which is a blessing!
  • onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    I have noticed a change too. I couldn't stand diet pop and now I can actually drink it. I have always like salads , but do seem to enjoy them more now.
  • JDAlder
    JDAlder Posts: 153 Member
    Yes, you can definitely tell the difference. Back when I was in shape before going on a binge, I drank nothing but water and loved it. I started to eat unhealthy and drink soda. The soda was so sweet at first and now it tastes almost like water. Glad to kick the habit and go back to drinking water instead of sodas. The caffeine withdrawl is the worth part though :(
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Very true!! It's happened to me over the years...a couple of weeks ago I accidentally bought Smuckers All Natural PB with salt (I usually eat the No Salt Added kind) and all I could taste was salt. I wanted to cry it was so horrible! lol
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    I cut out butter and salad dressing.

Any salad with dressing pre-put on tastes like an oil slick.

Also my mom made corn, and put butter in it. I couldn't eat it.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    I used to eat a lot of frozen diet meals, canned soup, jarred pasta sauce, flavored oatmeal packets, etc. They were convenient and I thought they tasted good and were healthy/wholesome. About a year and a half ago, I made a commitment to focusing on eating more whole and homemade foods. While I do still occasionally eat some processed food... mostly when I'm short on time and need something convenient, I no longer think any of it tastes good.

I absolutely will not touch Lean Cuisines/Smart Ones/Healthy Choice meals. I think they taste wretched... same goes for canned soup. I will use jarred pasta sauce in a pinch and I eat instant flavored oatmeal packets when we go backpacking/camping. But, my tastebuds definitely prefer my homemade food.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    I cannot stand ANYTHING with salt added. I cannot even eat salted nuts. It feels like a desert in my mouth lol.

I also don't drink any sweetened drinks (besides Stevia or Splenda in my coffee). I pretty much only drink plain water, green tea, and coffee now.

Recently I cut out any and all salad dressings, and salads taste SO MUCH better to me now. I will add either a tablespoon of hummus or 1/4 cup of cottage cheese sometimes instead.

Also don't like butter added to anything, tastes like a greasy mess to me.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    I can't drink pop of any kind. Not regular and not diet.
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Definitely.

I find a lot of flavours too cloyingly sweet and artificial.

I've gone from drinking lattes with sugar and syrup to lattes with just milk and then black coffee. These days, I think I appreciate the actual taste of the coffee; it's not just an excuse to consume sugar and caffeine any more.

Since I've started eating 85% or 90% chocolate, cheap milk chocolate (which I practically used to inhale) has lost its appeal. (I can still gobble up fancy 40% chocolate though - I don't know if I'll ever lose that "more! now! again!" reaction to sugar.)

And not really a tastebud change, but whenever I do have heavy/bready/greasy food (it happens) I feel bloated and bleurgh afterwards.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    I can't tolerate salty foods so much anymore same with overly sweet foods
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    After going vegan, then returning to vegetarian I can taste all kinds of subtle things in food, particularly butter and shortening. I never eat much salt anyways, but I can also taste that pretty strongly.

Also, I'm unable to buy cheap chocolate bars these days, because they taste like plastic to me (hersheys, etc). Though I used to like them.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Absolutely!! I have cut way down on salt & sugar. Now I find that most restaurant food tastes like brine! And, as the amount of sugary & salty food in the house is also way down, my family are also noticing that so many things we used to eat regularly are no longer appealing.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Mine did! I don't add salt to anything anymore and a lot of stuff tastes wayyy too salty now. I'm even amazed that companies put so much salt in food to begin with. Perhaps it's due to us being used to it now, idk.

Here are a few I've noticed being different:

Canned soup
    Canned vegetables, well anything canned.
    Pizza, and that goes for all pizzas, frozen or in a restaurant. I have to make my own in order to enjoy the taste.
    Canned sauces, gravies.
    Any restaurant food. Especially Applebees!
    Seafood like crab and shrimp, have natural salt in them.
    Carrots actually taste sweet! I thought that was weird.
    Cakes, cookies, etc are overwhelmingly sweet now.
    French fries. Wow... and to think I used to pour salt over the top of them!
    Candy, eggnog and even some apples taste too sweet.
    Red bell peppers are amazingly sweet.

I think it's great that our bodies can adapt and change like yours has and I thin it helps us make healthier choices and to eat more real and less processed food.

Great NSV! Thanks for posting. :)
  • Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Yep..this has gone around before,,but glad you brought it up again.
    Many things, especially commercially prepared-especially
    ANY fast food, way too salty.
    Candy too sweet-WHAT my hubby says when I hand him my portion of whatever after taking one bite..too sweet for you?? Yeppers. Also, cannot do spicy hot-I grew up here in New Mexico..was teethed on green chili..cannot even eat the "Acme" bland,no heat stuff..way too hot.:noway:
    Which of course takes out all Mexican.I was raised on green chili..didn't know anyone even ate scrambled eggs without green chili and cheese..:ohwell:
    I still have my flour tortillas..PLAIN, but still made over the burner..nipping my finger-tips in the process.:bigsmile:
    Oh, and soda-used to be a Diet Coke addict-drank at least a 2 liter a day. Now, I drink regular Sprite, but even that is beginning to bother my mouth..the carbonation..hurts!:grumble: