First day did good, 2nd day I don't know what happened?

Options
To cut a long story short my name is Eddie I just started MFP 3 days ago. First day I did excellent and met my calories intake. 2nd day i started the morning real good, lunch good, and then whaaaaaaat somebody says let's go to the club. i drink 4 beers and then i got hungry as hell and started eating like a pig. 4,000 calories on this day eaten, I really had no idea i was eating this much! until I saw the actual numbers. Anyways, I guess now i found out that beer triggers hunger for me. So what must I do today eat like way less so that I can still meet my weekly objective? i don't know? I weigh 310lbs, and I must continue my journey. i like this site it makes everything simple, I just have to adapt to my new daily process and find out what works for me!!
Thanks everyone! Wish you all the Best! Please comment if you think anything will help me, I'd really appreciate your honest feedback!:drinker:

Replies

• pianoteacherevan
    pianoteacherevan Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP dude. Probably the best thing that will help you is just not eating out, and making all your food at home. You should cut out food choices that you know you have to splurge on. Don't drink beer if you know it makes you hungry. Start drinking lots of water, and you won't feel so hungry either. When I have a drink when I'm going out, I'll either nurse a beer, order a mixed drink, OR have a couple shots if I really want to get toasted. Alcohol is really bad for your muscles, and your body in general in high amounts so as a boxer I've committed to no more than 1 or 1.5 drinks a day.

After a week or so of sticking to the game plan, you should notice things get a bit easier to manage and maintain.
  • treyes000
    Options
    Well welcome to the site, i just started this myself. I probly been on here for like a month or so. it was funny when u said what somebody said lets go to the club haha to funny. Just keep doin what you were doin the first day and you'll get back on track!!! Good Luck and once again welcome to MFP :)
  • lucydesi
    Options
    Keep it up Eddie!! You can do it! Today is a new day to make better choices. Exercise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do something physical everyday. Lift weights, go for a walk, or jump rope. Stick with what your calorie intake should be, and just exercise. It really is what is going to help shed pounds.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    Hi Eddie! My first day here was rough. I just wanted to track a normal day for me without any counting calories. I went over my daily allotment by 1000 calories. It was an eye opener. I had no idea I ate that much! I too enjoy an adult beverage but know that it can definitely cause me to eat uncontrollably. I decided that if I want to have a glass of wine I have to work for it. I'm only allowed so many calories per day and I really need to eat them, not drink them. So when I do want treats I work out extra hard to earn those calories! I also plan to have snacks for wine, like vegetbale pizza on flatbreat, or a single serving of baked french fries. I've learned that if I really want to lose the weight and be the happy person I used to be I have to make sacrifices. What's more important getting a buzz and pigging out or your health. You have to decide and stick to it! Also, go online and check out the nutritional value of the place you go to so you know what to eat. Switch to light beer, have water in between...all these things allow you to still enjoy your night out without feeling totally guilty. Remember this is a lifestyle change and you can do it, and you can go out and enjoy your life you just need to make the best possible choices while doing it!
  • garcia3duardo
    Options
    Thanks so much for your advice, Yes I agree I definitely need to cut down a few drinks. Is drinking mixed drinks better than drinking a beer? I do eat out a lot because, I work to jobs in office environment and sit down all day. And eat all day with no exercise. By the time I get home it's like 10pm. I guess i'm going to have to adapt my body and my daily activities as well. This is a big change!
  • garcia3duardo
    Options
    Thanks everyone great advice, today i drank to coffees in the AM, at 2pm will eat a salad, and at 730 when i get home dinner. What to eat for dinner though i just don't know and when i don't know what i'm going to eat, it scares the you know what out of me. That's when I know something is about to go wrong!!! Heeeeeellllllppppp!!!!
  • library1045
    Options
    Hi Eddie,

Today is my first day, I can understand. I work two jobs and go to school, its hard to make right choices sometimes when you're always on the go. I had broke two disc in my neck a year and a half ago and gained weight. I was very depressed putting the pounds on and now I'm trying to get motivated to lose the weight. Just try to stay focused and know that their are many others going through the same thing as you. Deanna
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    HI Eddie- I work in an office too! Every one eats out at lunch, we go to happy hour every payday - it's tough! Last night I went out with the girls (happy hour) and I ended up eating TWO THOUSAND CALORIES over my daily allotment. YIKES!

BUT bad days happen - the key being successful at weight loss isn't being spot on every day, it's recovering after a bad day. Just because a meal is too high or you know you've gone over your calories, you don't go "Oh Well - might as well forget today" or "this week" or "this month" - it's just a bad moment and you get to make the NEXT day better and you will!

I have started setting a reminder that says "stairs" in my outlook calendar at work. I "snooze" it 30 minutes every time it pops up, then I get up, and walk up the stairs (we have four floors worth) it only takes about two minutes, it kicks my butt, and it significantly increases my daily activity. If I can't take the 2 minutes to go up the steps, I at least stand up and stretch and touch my toes or something to MOVE myself a little.

I also keep a bag of small Granny Smith apples at my desk and I eat one before we leave for lunch. I try to drink a cup of water before i go to lunch too! You'll learn lots of little tricks here that will help you find success. It's not fast but it does come!

Welcome!
  • garcia3duardo
    Options
    Wow, I love you guys for all your support! Your right just keep going and make the next day better! And learn from my mistakes. I like the idea of the stairs, my first job I work at a storage facility and i'm just in the office renting units. So I can take a walk in the facility and my second job i work for H & R Block and just sit down in an office and do taxes. That's when we go out for happy hour sometimes, lol. That's what I need, to find out what works for me and i'm sure it will take some time and downfalls for me to get to it. Thanks again....
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    Thanks so much for your advice, Yes I agree I definitely need to cut down a few drinks. Is drinking mixed drinks better than drinking a beer? I do eat out a lot because, I work to jobs in office environment and sit down all day. And eat all day with no exercise. By the time I get home it's like 10pm. I guess i'm going to have to adapt my body and my daily activities as well. This is a big change!

I think drinking liquor and diet sodas is probably less calories but more sugar. I really don't know...I'm a wine girl! What time does your first job start? Maybe you could squeeze in a workout before then.
  • itsbella
    itsbella Posts: 1,101
    Options
    Hi Eddie and Congratulations for making taking care of YOU!! Forget about yesterday, all you can do is learn from it and MOVE ON!

Don't eat less today because you f'ed up yesterday.....that may make things worse. Eat my friend, you're a big guy and you need food to move those huge muscles you're hiding!!

Next time you plan on going clubin' make wiser choices...rum and diet coke....not so many since it will hinder your next day's workout!!! Your Mindset Is Changing!!!!

Congratulations again!!
  • itsbella
    itsbella Posts: 1,101
    Options
    Eddie, do yourself a favor and read the posts for the MFP newbies! You will find them under the weightloss thread...let me know if you have trouble finding them. They will help you understand how your body works while losing weight!
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Hi, Eddie; welcome to MFP. Lots of us have been there - chalk it off to experience and carry on.

I also work in an office. I always have water on my desk and drink 8 cups at work alone. That really helps. I keep low cal snacks in my desk and I usually brown bag it as the restaurants in our area have only bad and worse food choices, calorie-wise.

When I go out with the girls I order one glass of red wine and otherwise I keep on drinking water. When I want a cocktail I find Mojitos are not too bad - they do have some sugar but it's much less than in most other cocktails. Gin with diet tonic or rum with diet coke are also good choices. (Or less bad - depending how you look at it :wink: )
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I gave up alcohol entirely. It's empty calories and it triggers a loss of willpower. Tomorrow is a new day. Just get right back on the wagon. It's what you do most days that counts in the long run.
  • luciebelle
    luciebelle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Eddie,

It does sound like you have a very busy lifestyle, so I think it's all the more admirable that you're taking these first steps to be healthier! I just started using this website, but what I've found that works well for losing weight is to eat sensible foods/snacks frequently throughout the day. It takes a lot of planning ahead, but if you have your prepared snacks on hand (for example, an apple, a small handful of walnuts or almonds), it will keep you from getting too hungry. Because that is where we all start to make bad choices. Also, I can totally relate about the temptation to drink alcohol. I haven't been willing to give up wine, but at least if I enter food intake throughout the day, it's clearer whether or not I can afford the calories that day. Good luck with your plan, and I hope you will start to find time to exercise. Doing extra walking here and there can really help a lot. Also, if you're looking for something non-strenuous, swimming is really wonderful and easy on the joints. Keep up the excellent motivation!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Hello Eddie,
    Welcome, When we screw up, it's done, and nothing can be done about eating those calories except drinking lots of water and getting in some good workouts, and learning how to avoid this in the future.

I've also quit lots of alcohol. I used to drink beer quite often. and have stopped. I even enjoyed a friends superbowl party where all the dudes were drinking all day. I drank my water all day. It's choices and a mental thing. Where do you want to go?. How do you want to get there.
    It's a lifestyle change, and you will have to break some old habits and start learning some new habits.

Some people don't agree or know, but unfortunately alcohol is bad for weight loss.
    #1 reason as you've found out, is people decide to consume a bunch of calories after they started drinking.
    #2 reason is alcohol, whether it be straight vodka, beer, or wine, alcohol will slow down your metabolism and a few other things that you can search on MFP.
    Here's one link with some info.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/62997-the-alcohol-question

Good luck.
  • brendac72
    brendac72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was over on my calories my first couple days but now I think I got the hang of it. It may take a little bit to get this under control. You are half way there when you decided to make a change. :happy:

667973.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • garcia3duardo
    Options
    My day starts at 7am to be at work at 830am. Yesterday i walked 30 minutes around my work at the storage facility, it was pretty awesome it was the first time i did that at my job. but i did brisk walking throughout the facility. I guess i gained a couple of calories and i was able to eat more. This helped me stay within my calories. I really dont drink in week days only when I go out clubbing. I'm married and it's only me and my wife so we like to go out on the weekend. I like the ideas of water and low calorie snacks i heard walnuts and almonds any other suggestions? Anyways, I'm happy thanks to all your motivation i was able to go back within calorie limits yesterday after i ate a wopping 4000 calories and went over 2000 calories on saturday, oops. But i'm going on and eating what i have to eat your right don't stop eating and adapt to the new me.

Thanks again.
  • garcia3duardo
    Options
    I don't know why every day I do good in the AM and lunch but i'm always hungy in the night any suggestions? I eat about 300 calories in the AM and about 700 at lunch at dinner i eat the rest of 1969 calories left, but i still feel hungry? I don't know maybe it's just me.
  • feeny
    feeny Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't know why every day I do good in the AM and lunch but i'm always hungy in the night any suggestions? I eat about 300 calories in the AM and about 700 at lunch at dinner i eat the rest of 1969 calories left, but i still feel hungry? I don't know maybe it's just me.

try to eat more filling foods. Things with a lot of protein or fiber. Chicken, fish, brocolli, apples.