Obstacle Course racing...Warrior, Spartan or Tough mudder

Options
Good morning and happy Sunday! Has anyone completed an obstacle course race like Diva Dash, Spartan Sprint, Warrior Dash or Tough Mudder; If so, how was your experience and how did you train? Any and all replies welcome. I am completing the Diva Dash in February and haven't figured out what my training will be. I have completed rounds of P90X, Insanity, Jillian Michaels etc but haven't done them in a while since I have been concentrating more on my running. I know I need to incorporate some type of strength training but trying to decide on what. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• jameseylefebure
    jameseylefebure Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this as well - looking to do Tough Mudder and the Liverpool marathon next year and could really use some info :)
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    While I haven't actually competed in one yet I am signed up for New England Tough Mudder in August 2013. I started training already, I love circuit training and strength training. It's important to make sure you can run but make sure your core and upper body are not neglected! Those are the most important part of these races it seems.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i've competed in rugged maniac (same as warrior dash) and zombie escape (mud race plus zombies). first congratulations on entering. they are addictive! for rugged maniac i made sure i could run a 5k without stopping then i worked on upper body strength because i have zero. rugged maniac had a lot of walls to climb (up to 15 feet) and zombie escape you had to climb muddy, muddy hills using ropes. there was a lot of crawling for rugged maniac (through tubes, in mud, under barbed wire (don't be alarmed by this the wire is pretty high - at least for me but i'm 4' 11") and unlike tough mudder and spartan it's not electrified (yes you read that correctly). there were slides (60' down) and fire to jump over. zombie escape also had zombies chasing you at different obstacles (they try to steal your flags).

for training upper body workouts will be important because you'll need it for a lot of the obstacles. lifting, pushups, if you can do pullups they are good, burpies all these are good to work on and will help you in the obstacles. other advice wear old clothes, bring trash bags to sit on in the car (shower lines are long) bring a change of clothes (people just change next to their cars in the parking lot) and a towel (to cover yourself while changing). good luck!
  • hevhoyda
    hevhoyda Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've done both the warrior dash and tough mudder...I'll start by saying the warrior dash doesn't hold a flame to the tough mudder...the tough mudder is a much more difficult challenge, not only the 12 miles but the obstacles, the weather and everything else...when I ran it was like 48 degrees out and you are soaking wet so that itself was a challenge...The best thing about the tough mudder though is that it isn't a race it is about finishing and you will see teamwork there like never before... everyone is out to help everyone it is amazing!!...As far as training being able to run is important but it is just as important to have both upper and lower body strength...there is a lot of pulling yourself up and over obstacles and jumping...Overall it is a great experience one you'll be glad you did
  • Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    Thank you again to all that took the time to respond to this post. Based on what I read it appears having a strong core and upper body strength are essential. I have been slacking over the holidays so I guess I better get my booty in high gear.