Logging gum?

Options
This may sound like a ridiculous question to some but I enjoy chewing gum (sugar free). Do you log your gum in the food diary? Each piece is about 5 calories and if you eat a whole pack it may be 50 calories or so. It does make sense to do since it is calories just curious to hear thoughts on it.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Whatever floats your boat. It's your diary to do with as you wish.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    If it's sugar-free then I wouldn't log it, unless you swallow it which I doubt you do.
  • apexgtp
    apexgtp Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If its a calorie you should log it. But I've never logged gum, since I know I burn more than 5 calories chewing it.

I had a Hershey kiss the other day and I logged it. Was only like 20 calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,106 Member
    Options
    Sure, log it. You'll be on the fast train to Cray-Cray.

That's being way too perfectionistic, in my opinion. You're going to make about 100-200 calories of errors every day on calories, even if you are vigilent.

Your body won't magically lose weight at 1500 calories a day, but start gaining at 1520. See what I mean? It is not an exact Science.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I do. If you start overlooking the small things, it's a slippery slope.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    if you are trying to get as precise as you can, and that can be a good thing, and you chew enough pieces at 5 calories each, then yes. If the total is near 100 calories (20 sticks of gum) then logging it may make you opt for something more beneficial or cutting back on it.

knowledge is power. Ignoring calories is what got most of us here.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I log everything! Even gum. Log it if you want to! It helps keep me accountable.
  • chrtyA
    chrtyA Posts: 39
    Options
    Yes I think I should log it. Thanks for all the input!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    LOL at all this.

I try to always leave around 100 calories for this kind of thing. It can get stupid silly. What about just living life and having a stik ofgum. My god!

Things I don't log: Gum and coffee (not girl coffee, real coffee).