Okay I have a problem!!

Options
:cry: :noway: I'm on this diet but not really I'm just eating healthier and working out! but my problem is........ I can't stop eating junk food! I love food! but I'm trying to stop eating junk.... I haven't gained any weight and I haven't lost any either.... like I'll eat healthy all day then as soon as dinner time comes, I'll order a large pizza or I'll go to checkers and order a texas toast burger (2 of them)...and I'm back eating late at night again too... I need help... someone please stop me!:sad:

Replies

• ladylaycee
    ladylaycee Posts: 114
    Options
    :cry: :noway: I'm on this diet but not really I'm just eating healthier and working out! but my problem is........ I can't stop eating junk food! I love food! but I'm trying to stop eating junk.... I haven't gained any weight and I haven't lost any either.... like I'll eat healthy all day then as soon as dinner time comes, I'll order a large pizza or I'll go to checkers and order a texas toast burger (2 of them)...and I'm back eating late at night again too... I need help... someone please stop me!:sad:
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm in the same boat as you..I can eat a healthy breakfast, lunch..and most of the time dinner, but then I make those junk food runs and end up eating gummy bears and candy bars and drinking Pepsi all night!! I've gained a good 10lbs over the last few months by doing this and not exercising. I'm trying to make a change. I've gotten up early and worked out the last two mornings, but I haven't quite gotten the eating part yet. Any motivation would be great on this end too!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Maybe you aren't eating enough during the day and maybe that's why you are so hungry at dinner and are willing to eat whatever.
    This site is so amazing and when I want to eat I go through the posts read them and that really helps me get my mind set right. Most of us have been struggling with our weight for a long time and we all have ups and downs. When we fall, we need to get right back up again.
    You can do this ladylaycee! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    You are going to be okay. You just need to figure out why you are doing this. Are you not eating enough during the day and then becoming ravenous at dinner time? What type of foods are you eating? Are you eating six small meals? Are you getting enough water? These are all good questions you must ask yourself. Sometimes it really is mind over matter. When my guys start pigging out on cookies and milk at night, I really wish i could have some too....BUT...I have changed my way of thinking and do not will myself to do as they are doing. If it really bothers me, I go for a walk or play my Wii or do SOMETHING that will get my mind off of it. I always feel better the next morning for the good decisions I have made. How badly do you want to overcome this? Only you know that answer.:flowerforyou:
  • babyhippo
    babyhippo Posts: 247
    Options
    I use to have the same problem. That's why I gained about 10 lbs between Sept 2007 to Jan 2008.

First, get the junk food out of your house!
    Drink lots of water. :drinker: Then drink another cup!

Keep yourself busy at night. (It is so easy to eat, if you are just sitting in front of the tv.)
    Do something that requires keeping your hands busy. (read a book-also occupys your mind, video games, board games, take a long bath, go for an evening walk, sports.......)

If you go out to eat, have them bring you a container with your (sensible) meal. Cut it in half and box half of it up immediately. (lunch for tomorrow--2 meals for the price of one!)
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with keeping the junk food out of the house. That's the only way I can keep from downing them. I buy healthy snacks such as fruit and veggies. I keep rice cakes on hand they have some good flavored ones, if you like cheese flavor or Carmel or chocolate. Low in calories, just have to stay faithful to counting the calories though. Buy you some 100% grain bread, I get mine at wal mart its only 45 calories a slice. Lean meat, chicken breast without skin, I bake mine and I use only about 5oz of the chicken to make a sandwich and pile the lettuce on. Or if you like a slice of tomato. The snacking might be hard to cut down completely but you can make it more healthy and less calories. The first week I started I was hungry all the time, and now I get full much easier, so don't give up, just do your best and the next day it will get easier and then you can cut down more on your snacks. I still struggle , I love chocolate and cookies but I haven't had any for three weeks now. Any time you want to you can contact me, I am a good listener..........so is everyone else here. We understand and we are all in it together.:flowerforyou:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Yeah if you want junk food maybe get low calorie snacks. They have tons of the 100 calorie packs of cookies and crackers. Hostess even has the 100 calorie cupcakes. And if you opt for pizza try to only have 2 pieces and try to get the thin crust type with veggies. Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    oh former late night eater here! :ohwell: I swear all my cals would come at night...I'd be sooo good during the days too....

I think loggin in what you eat is important....but that doesn't really help those cravings!

I would recommend brushing your teeth after you eat your dinner which will sometimes make you not want anything else and drink lots of water...well enough you don't want to be up all night :frown:

What really worked for me is doing my exercise at night...this you have to MAKE yourself do btw cuz at the end of a long day you really really don't want to do it...especially in the beginning....

but eat dinner before you workout and give yourself an hour or two to digest and keep saying...I'm gonna put that tape in....I'm gonna get out for walk soon etc... pysch yourself up and that eating a lot will make you feel ugh ....and then exercise and I swear I never feel hungry afterwards?! wierd but true....

or you could exercise first and then eat and maybe you'd want healthier choices because of your adrenaline (spg) high....

Anyway that's my 2 cents...and it works for me....so good luck!
    hugs!
    ALi
  • jeena
    jeena Posts: 29
    Options
    I understand the dinner pain oh so well. Are you eating every 3-4 hrs? I call it the daily grazing. It takes awhile to get use to but once you get in the rhythm before you know the dinner pain will not be so severe. :smile:
  • auntkaren
    Options
    I have to agree with keeping the junk food out of the house. That's the only way I can keep from downing them. I buy healthy snacks such as fruit and veggies. I keep rice cakes on hand they have some good flavored ones, if you like cheese flavor or Carmel or chocolate. Low in calories, just have to stay faithful to counting the calories though. Buy you some 100% grain bread, I get mine at wal mart its only 45 calories a slice. Lean meat, chicken breast without skin, I bake mine and I use only about a couple thin slices of a 5oz of the chicken to make a sandwich and pile the lettuce on. Or if you like a slice of tomato. The snacking might be hard to cut down completely but you can make it more healthy and less calories. The first week I started I was hungry all the time, and now I get full much easier, so don't give up, just do your best and the next day it will get easier and then you can cut down more on your snacks. I still struggle , I love chocolate and cookies but I haven't had any for three weeks now. Any time you want to you can contact me, I am a good listener..........so is everyone else here. We understand and we are all in it together.:flowerforyou:
  • auntkaren
    Options
    I have to agree with keeping the junk food out of the house. That's the only way I can keep from downing them. I buy healthy snacks such as fruit and veggies. I keep rice cakes on hand they have some good flavored ones, if you like cheese flavor or Carmel or chocolate. Low in calories, just have to stay faithful to counting the calories though. Buy you some 100% grain bread, I get mine at wal mart its only 45 calories a slice. Lean meat, chicken breast without skin, I bake mine and I use only about a couple thin slices of a 5oz of the chicken to make a sandwich and pile the lettuce on. Or if you like a slice of tomato. The snacking might be hard to cut down completely but you can make it more healthy and less calories. The first week I started I was hungry all the time, and now I get full much easier, so don't give up, just do your best and the next day it will get easier and then you can cut down more on your snacks. I still struggle , I love chocolate and cookies but I haven't had any for three weeks now. Any time you want to you can contact me, I am a good listener..........so is everyone else here. We understand and we are all in it together.:flowerforyou:
    sorry hit the wrong button:embarassed:
  • Heatmiser
    Heatmiser Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ok, just stop beating yourself up right now because we all have been there before. Tomorrow is another day to get back on track. I agree to eating small meals 5-6 times a day. It helps with cravings and keeping your metabolism up. Don't keep the junk food in the house and after you eat I recommend brushing your teeth or chewing gum. I think brushing the teeth feel better if you can because it makes your mouth feel cleaner. I work for a dentist so in order to help my late night cravings, I pop in my teeth whitening trays for about an hour. After that, I really don't want to eat, and I am getting whiter teeth while losing some pounds. I know it sound corny, but you to see what works for you. Willpower is not easy, we need help in anyways we can. Hope this helps.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    Ah, I just learned something about this topic yesterday and today. For weeks I've been eating 5 times a day, very planned, very structured, no cravings, no binging at night. Yesterday and today I had things to do that took me away from home and I didn't take anything with me or have a back up plan so I went for about 5 hours before eating again. I didn't do too bad today, I did eat an apple, but I should have gotten a snack at the store, or picked up a spoon for the yogurt I purchased. I kept saying I'd be home in an hour and it would be okay. I was STARVING both times and EVERYTHING looked good. My dinner choice yesterday was horrible and tasted that way. Today, not too bad, but I munched on 3 oz of chips while I was cooking it up. Fortunately, I also had some celery and green pepper slices and pickles while I was waiting. My thoughts are also that you need to plan more meals. I usually have three full meals of 300 calories, 3 snacks of 100 calories, and then I exercise early in the day so I know if I have additional calories I can use for lunch and dinner.
  • gerette64
    Options
    Evening eating was my biggest downfall too. I could consume so many calories in the evening (thankfully no one was looking through my window to see how much I was eating!!) :laugh:

What worked for me was to reset my calorie limit from 1200 to 1400 per day. That little extra made a world of difference. I think I was just a little hungry, but would then just lose control and binge. Adding the 200 calories per day to my diet was just enough to satisfy me, and is currently keeping me where I want to be.
    A tip I found on another web site that seems to help me, is in the evening if I am craving something sweet, I have a cup of hot decaf tea with a teaspoon of splenda in it. I think the warmth of the tea, along with the sweetness, nips my craving.
  • mrwhited3256
    Options
    I have the same problems. I had someone recommend for me to pick up a book --- the name is Breaking Free from Emotional Eating by Geneen Roth (i think that is the author - i know the title is right) This book gave me a completely different way to look at food and why I eat the way i do. Now i still eat bad at times -- but this book is worth reading just for the insight and to know you aren't the only one. Hope this helps:flowerforyou:
  • anewbeginning
    anewbeginning Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I sympathize with you. I am good all day at work but the night time after dinner is the worst for me too. I think the best solution is to get all the junk out of the house and only have low calorie snacks available. Jello pudding cups are only 100 calories, and there are a host of other 100 calorie snack packs out there now. Popcorn is another good snack food when you are not in the mood for veggies or fruits. I know there are going to be tough days....some tougher than others....but if we stay focused on what we want the most instead of what we want right now we will will this battle of the bulge. Good luck to all.....:flowerforyou:
  • Patwin55
    Patwin55 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a warm drink, like sugar-free cocoa or herbal tea with Splenda will take the edge off. I used to drink regular cocoa every day and add sugar to it! It is hard to break the dependence on sugar. I had to give up all soft drinks altogether, and now I can go to sugar-free sodas once in a while.
  • madkat67
    madkat67 Posts: 32
    Options
    I also have a problem - just like Lacy. I gained a pound this week. :noway:
    Unlike Lacy, I am able to stay away from the bad dinner foods, but I am grazing a little bit more than I should.
    So, here's my plan - I'm going to log in my foods the night before and print out the plan. That way I will have something visually to look at without guessing or trying to remember what I had to eat. For whatever reason, I seem to think that a couple crackers here, a cheese stick there and a handful of MandM peanuts will not hurt - but it is.
    Working out is kind of tricky as I am a working mom and both my girls are in after school activities and my husband is working nights. But I think I have a plan for that too - I'm going to the gym twice a weekend and I'm going to walk each night. I'll run and do some muscle toning activities two mornings a week.
    Hang in there Lacy - maybe a plan is all you need. I'm going to try to live my plan and I'll report back next week. Hold onto your hats, this week may be a bumpy ride!
    Bottom line - WE CAN DO THIS! WE CAN!
    :wink:
    Madkat67
  • jbeasinger
    jbeasinger Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry in advance if someone has already suggested this but i like to graze during the day when i work. I drive all day and I have been chewing gum whenever i get the urge to snack. granted i go through
    ALOT of Trident. but it Helps. I hope that suggestion helps in some way.
  • madkat67
    madkat67 Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm sorry in advance if someone has already suggested this but i like to graze during the day when i work. I drive all day and I have been chewing gum whenever i get the urge to snack. granted i go through
    ALOT of Trident. but it Helps. I hope that suggestion helps in some way.

Now that's a great idea! Thanks!