Sleeping... and weight loss

Options
Hello,

On my previous thread the topic of sleeping came up and I was wondering if any of you know if sleeping is related to weight loss.

For instance what happens if you dont get enough sleep? Like only 3 hours a night?

I'm just very curious how sleep affects weight loss. :-) if you have any information please let me know!

Replies

• haileyco
    Options
    i've heard, and have noticed personally, that if you are not getting enough sleep, and resting well during your sleep, it will slow weight loss. i think it has to do with cortisol, but don't quote me.
  • jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I believe I read a study that said that if you are sleep deprived (3 hours a night sounds like it) then you have a tendency to gain weight.
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    absolutely, on my weight loss plan I'm on, it states to get 7 to 8 hours of sleep or it will affect your weight loss.
  • missymrowland
    Options
    I think I tend to cheat less when I'm well rested....like when I'm really tired and I don't work out or eat the right foods.
  • missymrowland
    Options
    Congrats to the Losers !! I wanna be a loser too !
  • dogmeat
    Options
    Rest is crucial for health and successful weight management. While we're all individuals, pretty much everyone needs at least 7 hours of sleep a night.
  • emmie305
    Options
    Is too much sleep bad for you as well?? Because I go to sleep at like 11 and get up at 9ish. Just wondering??
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Is too much sleep bad for you as well?? Because I go to sleep at like 11 and get up at 9ish. Just wondering??

I watch Dr. Oz and he said nore more than 8 and no less than 7
  • dogmeat
    Options

Any kind of artificial "upper limits" are not necessarily useful. Needs vary individually, and teens are often recommended to get 9 hours. Your 10 hours would certainly fall within individual variation from that.

If you can function equally well while limiting yourself to 9 hours, all is good. If not, then take the 10 since you have the opportunity.

Not getting enough is a greater sin than getting too much of rest :smile:
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options

Every body and every person is different, so you need to find what works for you. Your activity level will also affect it. For example, on days I don't work out, I function fine on 7.5-8 hours of sleep. If I work out hard for an hour+, I usually need 8-9 hours. If I work out 2+ hours like with a long run and lifting (and especially when I was training for a half-ironman), my body needs more rest to recover, so I sleep 9-10 hours. Friends I've trained with had different patterns too...
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    you need proper amounts of sleep for weight loss, everyone is diff sure, but 3 hours is NOT enough

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/lose-weight-while-sleeping

here's a lil piece of the article
    "So what's the connection to sleep? "When you don't get enough sleep, it drives leptin levels down, which means you don't feel as satisfied after you eat. Lack of sleep also causes ghrelin levels to rise, which means your appetite is stimulated, so you want more food," Breus tells WebMD.

The two combined, he says, can set the stage for overeating, which in turn may lead to weight gain."
  • bttrflykisses820
    Options
    Yeah, I agree that my 3-4 hours of sleep i had the last week or so were not enough. I just had no choice, too much stuff to do. Last night though i got plenty of sleep. about 8-9 hours.

Last week though i also didn't lose as much weight as i had a couple weeks before that, so i was wondering if that had something to do with it. Apparently it does!
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    Yeah, I agree that my 3-4 hours of sleep i had the last week or so were not enough. I just had no choice, too much stuff to do. Last night though i got plenty of sleep. about 8-9 hours.

Last week though i also didn't lose as much weight as i had a couple weeks before that, so i was wondering if that had something to do with it. Apparently it does!

I have the hardest time trying to get a full 8 in. There just isn't enough hours in a day. Really trying to find a way to lengthen the days so I can find the time!