Is it true? Gaining vs Losing

Options
Is it true that u can gain weight much quicker than losing it??? Cuz I REALLY don't wanna gain weight over the holidays but I do want to eat and enjoy myself and not worry about cal counting or watching what I eat. It's only gonna be Xmas Eve, Xmas Day and New Years Eve that I indulge. Then I will be having cake on January 6th for my sons 1st bday so... What do you guys think? Am I doomed or what?

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    3500 calories (roughly a pound) is the same either way, so you have to eat the same amount over you maintenance calories to gain weight as you do to eat under to lose it. However I think it's easier to eat over maintenance than under AND with eating sodium filled 'bad for you" food you will gain water weight that will make it look like you have gained more weight on your scale (and you may look and feel a bit bloated)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    It is easier to over eat on the holidays. It is also possible to lose whatever weight you gain within a week afterward. Chillax. It's the holidays. Enjoy without all this self-imposed agony.
  • JUP1T3R
    Options
    You can indulge in the holiday foods without going over your calorie intake limit. just make sure you enjoy in moderation, the holiday food and desserts are not worth backtracking all the hard work you've done to get where you are. just focus on portions and you will skate by and not have to make up for it on the back end.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    If I have to use moderation then I just plain don't enjoy so I will end up going over deficit cal but hopefully not so much that I gain weight. But hey like yas say it's the holidays - chillax. So be it! Merry Christmas everyone. May you all lose the most weight possible in 2013! Cheers all!!!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Then, yes, you're doomed.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    no. most people put on weight slowly over time. and when they lose it, it's fairly steady like 1-2 lbs per week.
  • Alcoria
    Alcoria Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    my suggestion is to take your time eating you will give your body time to feel full instead of over eating you may get full after a portioned 1st plate than after 2nds or 3rds

good luck and merry christmas :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    no. most people put on weight slowly over time. and when they lose it, it's fairly steady like 1-2 lbs per week.
    Yup. It takes years to get fat.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting on Christmas, New Year's eve, New Year's, your son's birthday, etc. isn't required. What is required is calorie counting on every other day that's not a legitimate cheat day. Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. This is a long-term thing and making yourself miserable on holidays is a great way to just fail.
  • SugafreeNsweet
    SugafreeNsweet Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don’t do it……

Honestly, I went through the same thing in October and November with My daughter's Birthday, Halloween Parties and Thanksgiving. I put on weight rapidly and it feels like its taking forever to get it off. I have several dinner parties coming up and I am totally porting my digital food scale with me (I don't care how crazy I look) and logging everything I put in my mouth. In some cases I will be bring my own food. INDULGENCE IS NOT WORTH THE SELF LOATHING that comes with it. It takes hard work to get weight off and maintain it......don't throw it away!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I plan on enjoying holiday meals without going overboard with portions or multiple servings. You don't have to turn into a human garburator to indulge, you have the power.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Don’t do it……

Honestly, I went through the same thing in October and November with My daughter's Birthday, Halloween Parties and Thanksgiving. I put on weight rapidly and it feels like its taking forever to get it off. I have several dinner parties coming up and I am totally porting my digital food scale with me (I don't care how crazy I look) and logging everything I put in my mouth. In some cases I will be bring my own food. INDULGENCE IS NOT WORTH THE SELF LOATHING that comes with it. It takes hard work to get weight off and maintain it......don't throw it away!
    What the what?
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Don’t do it……

FAIL
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I once gained 5 lbs from a cookie, true story.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    One beer got me drunk one time too. I just don't remember WHICH one.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    That must have been one hell of a cookie! :happy:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Don’t do it……

Self loathing? Whoa. Calm down.

You are planning to bring your food scale and your own food to parties? Seriously? Well, at least next year you probably won't have to attend as many dinner parties, so I suppose that's good...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Some cookies can make you gain weight just from looking at them. It has to do with the phlogiston they give off. You can't see it, but if it catches your eye, then you get the calories from it.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • baja572
    Options
    I am not sure but I have been told most weight gain over the holiday is from the over eating of left overs and the large amount of sweets..easy with the sweets and carbs. a little extra work out before and after might help (walking..if you have snow build a snowman or go for a walk) take what you like and forget the rest.. the best to you.