Multivitamin Suggestions

Options
I am a 44 year old woman who currently does not take a multivitamin. I workout when I have the energy to do so and I have been sick alot this winter so I need something for immune system and energy. I would love some help on what is the best one to get.

Replies

• dkcj4fox
    Options
    Source Naturals makes a very good multi. It's called Life Force Multiple. They have it with or without Iron.

Good quality and a good price.

If you have a Vitamin Shoppe close by, they will carry it.

I also suggest people use a good quality Fish Oil. Great for the heart, brain, nervous system and joints.
  • scarecrow41
    Options
    I'm a 31 year old male. I take prenatal multi-vitamins...I think they are the best. No science or anything behind it, I just feel better when taking them.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    you may also want to add a Vitamin D supplement as well as an additional iron supplement. However, you really should first consult your PCP and have some bloodwork done to see what is going on.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Rainbow Light makes a woman's multivitamin that doesn't upset your stomach when you take it. I like it a lot. I think I heard about it from someone on MFP.
  • siobhannestor
    Options
    If you have a Whole Foods in your area, they have a woman's multi-vitamin formula that is good and decently priced. It also takes 2 pills to make up a whole serving, which means that you can divide when you take them, better for absorption. Trader Joe's also has a decent women's multi that is very inexpensive. Don't know how it measures up regarding absorption.

I would look for a formula that has a balance of b-vitamins, including 400-800 mcg of folic acid (not just for pregnancy - I coordinate a project for the local health department that is working to increase folic acid intake among reproductive-age women, btw).

While you should also take a calcium supplement (with added zinc and magnesium), don't take your multivitamin and your calcium supplement at the same time as doing so will cause absorption problems. My mother's doc recommended Jarrow's "Bone Up" when she was diagnosed with osteoporosis, but it's an expensive formula...

A recent study found that time-released vitamins are NOT well-absorbed by the body, btw.

In addition to a multivitamin & calcium, there is a lot of recent research on the low vitamin-D levels among Americans, which is now being linked to everything from increased risk for osteoporosis to increased risk for developing diabetes. American recommendations of 400 IU are way too low, much lower than in most European countries. The head nutritionist within our Maternal, Child and Adolescent Health Section recommends 2000 IU to start, taken 2x daily.

Anyway, hope that this is helpful...