Sore muscles after exercising??

Options
I haven't exercised for a week because I had tons of tests to study for. I did the same routine I have been doing for a week and I got so sore and so tired! Is this normal?? My muscles are sore, should I rest a day??

Replies

• ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    do some cardio it will help relieve soreness (:
  • Maaarkk
    Maaarkk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Your muscles should be sore after a workout.
    After all, when you are working your muscles out, you are tearing the muscle fibres. This is how the get stronger/bigger by repairing and growing back stronger/larger
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Take a rest day if you need one, make sure to stretch before and after exercising (dynamic stretches are good before hand, static after), stay hydrated, eat bananas... etc etc etc. You could be sore from lactic acid build up, or from damaging muscle fibers, either way isn't bad, if the soreness isn't major then just work through it, or it won't kill ya to take a day off and rest.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    After all, when you are working your muscles out, you are tearing the muscle fibres. This is how the get stronger/bigger by repairing and growing back stronger/larger

No- Muscle soreness is not indicative of the effectiveness of a workout, at all.

OP- It happens when something is new, or harder than you're used to. Do some light cardio to avoid some of the stiffness. It's called DOMS, it's totally normal and will go away in a couple days.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    stretch, hot bath, go for a walk to loosen up. it's completely normal.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    It's totally normal to get sore going back to a regular workout that doesn't usually make you sore. I did the same thing and took a few weeks off with finals and a flu. Got back in to do my regular workouts last week, and I was so sore that I ached all over and had to take asprin in order to sleep at night.
  • jade_131
    jade_131 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I know it's normal I've had this happen when I just started working out, but I usually don't get it even when I do super intense workouts...now that I haven't worked out for a week, I get it doing something that isn't even that hard (before). Does 1 week off really make you that weak O_O
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I haven't exercised for a week because I had tons of tests to study for. I did the same routine I have been doing for a week and I got so sore and so tired! Is this normal?? My muscles are sore, should I rest a day??

You might be low in magnesium. Stress, (like the stress of exams, combined with lots of coffee, staying up late to study) can make you dump magnesium and potassium. Magnesium and potassium are essential for helping muscles to move smoothly and well. I would try an Epsom salts bath (Epsom salts are magnesium sulphate and in a hot bath are absorbed through your skin). It will make you muscles feel GREAT! You might also want to eat a bit more fruit as a good source of potassium. Magnesium and potassium work together. Unless your magnesium levels are appropriate, you will not store potassium for your muscles to use during exercise---and a deficiency of both make muscles "irritable" and leads to a lot of soreness after a workout.. It is also important to avoid anything with synthetic Vitamin D in it (D2) as it will bind up your systemic magnesium. Most dairy products now contain natural Vitamin D (D3) but a lot of nut and rice milks contain the synthetic form of Vitamin D (D2). Very BAD for the muscles.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I know it's normal I've had this happen when I just started working out, but I usually don't get it even when I do super intense workouts...now that I haven't worked out for a week, I get it doing something that isn't even that hard (before). Does 1 week off really make you that weak O_O

Not necessarily. I've taken a week off because I had no access to weights... came back and blew through my sets. On the other hand, I was in the hospital for four days recently and felt incredibly weak once I hit the weights.

I think it's probably more to do with a combination of calories consumed (I wasn't eating much in the hospital; you may not have been eating much during finals) and other factors like rest (how much sleep were you getting during finals?).
  • Maaarkk
    Maaarkk Posts: 93 Member
    Options

No- Muscle soreness is not indicative of the effectiveness of a workout, at all.

OP- It happens when something is new, or harder than you're used to. Do some light cardio to avoid some of the stiffness. It's called DOMS, it's totally normal and will go away in a couple days.

True, but when you push yourself and workout hard, your muscles will be sore. The positive correlation between the two are not just a coincidence
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options

Depends on the person. For me, it's a yes. One week off, and back full force, and I am HURTING! The soreness isn't a matter of being weak though exactly. It's just how your body responds, I think it has more to do with how adapted your body is to a routine.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    with all those tests you were probably stressed out some and tired anyway

enjoy a hot bath, drink more water than usual and have a nice Christmas
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    On the contrary, in many taking a week off to rest/deload has shown to increase performance in strength athletes, sometimes its necessary for optimal results. The likelihood of muscle soreness does increase with decreased training frequency though.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

True, but when you push yourself and workout hard, your muscles will be sore. The positive correlation between the two are not just a coincidence

Not correct. You can push yourself and not get DOMS
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

You might want to think about conditioning.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

You might want to think about conditioning.
    ^Yup.

I bust my *kitten* every single time I work out, but due to the fact that I warm up properly, and stretch plenty after I'm done, I rarely ever get DOMS, unless I've switched up my lifts.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    See a doctor! :angry:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

You might be low in magnesium. Stress, (like the stress of exams, combined with lots of coffee, staying up late to study) can make you dump magnesium and potassium. Magnesium and potassium are essential for helping muscles to move smoothly and well. I would try an Epsom salts bath (Epsom salts are magnesium sulphate and in a hot bath are absorbed through your skin). It will make you muscles feel GREAT! You might also want to eat a bit more fruit as a good source of potassium. Magnesium and potassium work together. Unless your magnesium levels are appropriate, you will not store potassium for your muscles to use during exercise---and a deficiency of both make muscles "irritable" and leads to a lot of soreness after a workout.. It is also important to avoid anything with synthetic Vitamin D in it (D2) as it will bind up your systemic magnesium. Most dairy products now contain natural Vitamin D (D3) but a lot of nut and rice milks contain the synthetic form of Vitamin D (D2). Very BAD for the muscles.
    translation: Eat a chocolate bananner.

my advice: jab the muscle, its so satisfying.

I tried the nanner plus a gallon of water and massaged said area a few days ago when I had severe doms of life lol and I just ended up getting stiffer (likely unrelated). Next time I'm going to try the drinking chocolate banana while poking area and doing cardio thing...even though i was pretty much to stiff to move. Extended pacing seemed to lesson the pain temporarily.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    See a doctor! :angry:

that might be jumping the gun

she was stressed from tests, tired and exercised after a week off and is now sore

seems like a normal response to be a bit sore and tired
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sore muscles after exercising are usually caused by a Shakeology deficiency.