I'd love your opinion....

Options
of kettle bells. I've taken a look a few times. Any opinions/suggestions?

Replies

• dunlunicor
    dunlunicor Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Bump. I've thought about getting one but have no idea what to do with it.
  • vikingheart
    Options
    Opinions on brands or exercises?

I used them a lot in my martial arts training. Mainly double and single arm swings, dead lifts and skull crushers (which are AWESOME for your triceps).
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer for a while who was doing his certification in kettle bells. The work out is pretty intense. It's great if you are looking for something different to spice up your routine. You want a trainer who is very attuned to proper form - it's pretty easy to hurt your back and other parts if you don't keep your form. I had a particularly difficult time with it because I have some carpal tunnel in my wrists, and kettle bell is very tough on the wrists. My trainer needed to modify some of the exercises and routines for me to take that into account. I was lucky that I had him one on one, because I dont think that it would have been easy for him to customize the routine in a class setting.

It's not something I would start in on without some training, but if you like a combination of lifting and aerobic activity, you might give it a try if you gym offers a class.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Pro.
  • allycat5723
    allycat5723 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am a runner recovering from a foot surgery, so I'm looking for something I can do. Plus i really enjoy lifting. I have no idea where to start, and I really can't afford a gym or personal trainer right now :(
  • teryx123
    teryx123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are an awesome workout. There are traditional routines, and there is kettlebell juggling. Gogglle is fulll of info on both. I love juggling. I have 2 ten pound kettles for that as well as 26 pounder. It is a very intense workout, be warned. The first thing to master is the basic swing. Then you add to that. Start light and work up in weight. Also, get a good quality cast iron kettle, not the cheap plastic things from Walmart. A cheap kettle will not balance or swing right.

The secret to using kettles is to direct the weight without absorbing shock in your body. It's about control and finess, not so much about forcing the weight around. That is when you get hurt.
  • allycat5723
    Options
    Thank you, this is helpful. I saw the Jillian Michaels one but the online reviews made it sound like garbage so I walked away.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I am a runner recovering from a foot surgery, so I'm looking for something I can do. Plus i really enjoy lifting. I have no idea where to start, and I really can't afford a gym or personal trainer right now :(

With your foot, can you do squats? The basic swing has you in a (sort of) squat position, where you swing the kettlebell through your legs, controlling the speed and height of the swing. If you can't currently do squats on your foot, I would talk to your Dr. before proceedings.
  • JUP1T3R
    Options
    Here is just an example of some basic kettle bell workouts.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/kettlebell-workout

hope it sheds some light on the subject for you.
  • allycat5723
    Options

With your foot, can you do squats? The basic swing has you in a (sort of) squat position, where you swing the kettlebell through your legs, controlling the speed and height of the swing. If you can't currently do squats on your foot, I would talk to your Dr. before proceedings.

Yes, I'm okay with squats. Just nothing with a high level of impact at this time. So running is out until possibly the spring. I thought lifting would be okay but I have a little trouble getting up from the bench the way we have it arranged in our house.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    are those still a thing? i was thinking the freshness of the fad was starting to go away.

kettlebells are just fine. most things you do with them can be performed with dumbbells.

personally, i would get a sandbag instead, as i could easily adjust the weight both for different movements and as i got stronger, instead of having to buy 8-10 kettebells to keep at home.
  • teryx123
    teryx123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    One more bit of advice. There is no industry standard for the shape of kettlebells. The kettlebell federation might have something, but basically, you need to be a little careful. One thing to look for is a big enough handle section for a comfortable 2 handed grip. Some of them seem to have smallish handles, especially in the lighter weights. Mine have a rubber base bolted to the bottom. If possible go to a fitness shop that has them so you can get your hands on them.
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Thank you, this is helpful. I saw the Jillian Michaels one but the online reviews made it sound like garbage so I walked away.

I have gone (and you can get on dvd) Kettlecise workout which is good. There is also a 10 minute solution Kettlebell workout which includes 5 dfferent workouts so you can just do a couple and mix it up if your pushed for time. I personally bought the Shred it with Weights and I love it - although she doesn't necessarily show you great form; but I learnt that through my kettlebell class.

Someone else mentioned - you can use a dumbbell instead of a kettlebell and will probably work out cheaper. I bought a dumbbell set which you can change the weight on.

Good luck. x

Edit to say: On JM dvd they actually use dumbells!

Guy Noble - look him up on You Tube - he is the guy from Kettlecise and has some workout dvd's on You Tube - he is amazing and really goes on about good form too.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I recently have gotten into kettlebell squats at the gym!! LOVE IT! But take it easy, cause I was doing them everyday as soon as I started and now I have sore knees! So, just like any weights, you should ease your body into them :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The only thing kettlebells are good for: one-legged overhead squat...
    320433_10151029707616292_2111944436_n.jpg
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's a lump of metal, it's what you do with it that matters.

I've been a fan of them for a long time, but the past few years, they have been the number one piece of equipment for trainers to pick up and make a mess of.

http://breakingmuscle.com/news-articles/kettlebells
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love them. I use them for a short 5-10 min workout with mainly swings and variations 3 times a week. And every now and then for a longer one!
  • allycat5723
    Options
    The only thing kettlebells are good for: one-legged overhead squat...
    320433_10151029707616292_2111944436_n.jpg

This is seriously awesome!
  • liquidpete24
    Options
    I'm in Chicago and people either have studios dedicated to fitness fads/crazes or have ones trying to start a new one. There's a place that specializes in kettlebell-only workouts.
    I recently saw this odd thing with women doing Pilates in combination with weighted drumsticks!!!
    They have a free pass thing going so I'll go try it out and tell you guys about it.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I've used them at kickboxing and for weight lifting at my gym. I like them, they can also be comfier to hold than dumbbells/barbells at times. I've used them in kettle bell swing, sumo squat, high pull, lunges, one-legged squats, russian twist, other abs exercises, etc. I've also used very heavy ones to do a "walk & carry" thing. I've also heard of people using them in this exercise where you lie on the floor with a kettlebell in your hand, raise your arm, get up (keeping your arm in the air), stand up, then lie back down. I'm not sure what it does though...