HURT KNEE, need advise

Options
SO, I am a runner. I was doing a 9 miler and during this run I hurt my knee. I didn't fall, twist it, or do anything substantial; it just started hurting. It feels like it is grinding around the inner part of my knee. I have stayed off of it for about a month and it still hurts like it did that 9 mile day. I've had runner's knee before but it went away after about a month. I got fitted for shoes and I was off again without problems. I've been using fitted shoes since then without problems up until now. Anyone ever hear of or have this happen to them before?

Replies

• rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    SO, I am a runner. I was doing a 9 miler and during this run I hurt my knee. I didn't fall, twist it, or do anything substantial; it just started hurting. It feels like it is grinding around the inner part of my knee. I have stayed off of it for about a month and it still hurts like it did that 9 mile day. I've had runner's knee before but it went away after about a month. I got fitted for shoes and I was off again without problems. I've been using fitted shoes since then without problems up until now. Anyone ever hear of or have this happen to them before?

Worth going to see a physio or a doctor ...
  • SpanksNotSpanx
    SpanksNotSpanx Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would definitely get in to see your primary and have them refer you out to a "sports" orthopedic dr. :) They may suggest some physical therapy to help strengthen the area of concern. In the meantime if you are able, try some anti-inflammatory meds like ibuprofen.. and take it easy!!!
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    If you have stayed off it for a month, I'm assuming you went to your doctor's during this time? What he / she say? Sounds like a chronic overuse injury. The only thing to do for those is: 1) change sports, or 2) medicate it until your organs shut down, or 3) keep grinding it until you need surgery. I'm sorry for your loss.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I've got tendonitis in my knees and ankle it's a hell of a lot worse on my left side, I won't bother with all the reasons because it's boring.
    But I ice for 15 minutes before and after every run. I wear a knee brace and if my knee or ankle is really sore I take it as a sign that I'm over-using it and I switch the the bike or something or skip cardio all together.
    Listen to your body. I didn't end ended up with a tendon tear that kept me out for 6 months. Not to mention the fact that it was INCREDIBLY painful.
    I see NO need to stop running all together. People on MFP suggest that to me as well, out of care/concern but they just don't understand what it's like to be a runner and that we do it for the LOVE of running not because it burns calories, that's just a perk. Runners especially distance runners unfortunately suffer a lot of injuries but if we listen to our bodies and the preventative measures we can keep the injuries from be debilitating
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I had a knee that clicked/shifted, even when walking. PT told me my IT band was too tight, my quads too weak and my acl naturally loose. She gave me a series of stretches and strenghteners to get the balance back. When I do them regulary, no prob. Worth looking into. Good luck! Merry Christmas!
  • akashelly
    akashelly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow, you sound just like me. Go see your Dr. make sure it isn't anything serious. Mine is due to very tight IT band and Quad. So lots of icing and lots of foam rolling and no running.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I get pain in my knees pretty regularly.... Usually it's solved by A) wearing patella straps (I wear them every time I run and most of the time whenever I work out - they work wonders), and B) Foam rolling and proper stretching.
  • Ironphoenix
    Options
    Here's how I see it: you either stop running, get it scanned and find out what is really going on or: you continue running and eventually end up with a severe injury.

I ignored my shoulder for six weeks, ended up with AC joint strain and tear in rotator cuff. I was out of the gym for six months and I'm a personal trainer. Very hard way to learn a lesson.

Get it seem and know what your dealing with. Hope it gets sorted really soon.
  • Ironphoenix
    Options
    Just out of interest...have you stopped wearing those shoes? I had trainers professionally fitted and within six months I had strained the tendons on the top of my right foot. The shoes were fitted too small and subconsciously I had been trying to slow the impact of my foot hitting the ground. Everytime I put those trainers on I got the pain back- dumped the trainers, got foot strapped and was all better. Just worth giving some thought too!
  • nikolakis70
    Options
    I have been having the same problem for years, actually it started out of the blue, like you. Quit running for a month and didn't help hm. You need to walk before you run. I know you like running but after a month of rest you need to gve time to your knee to become strong otherwise you risk hearting the other one
  • EastFork
    EastFork Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it could be a meniscus tear. Get it checked out by your doctor because if it is, it will not heal by itself.
  • blaquebutterfly75
    blaquebutterfly75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it could be a meniscus tear. Get it checked out by your doctor because if it is, it will not heal by itself.

Your symptoms sound EXACTLY like mine when I was training for a half marathon last year. Exact same pain, location, exactly.
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Grinding feeling in the knee usually indicates damaged cartilage. It is definitely time to get checked out by an ortho.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options

If it does not clear up I would suggest a dov visit and maybe an MRI